5.7x28 - the real skinny?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 5.7x28 - the real skinny?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mrvmax wrote:I'm not sure if you have tried to find 22mag Ammo lately but it is hard to find. It can be found online at a few places but the 5.7 Ammo is easier to obtain right now.
Actually, no I haven't. I only own one firearm capable of firing it, and that is a cheap single action revolver with a .22 LR and a .22 WMR cylinder. I've never even fired any WMR in it. To what is the decline in .22 WMR inventory due?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 6

Post by MechAg94 »

Javier730 wrote:You will also have the checkered texture of the grip imprinted in your palms after holding one for a while.
I have a couple of the FNX handguns. I thought I would hate the heavy checkering on the grips, but I found it really wasn't an issue when shooting at least for me.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 6

Post by MechAg94 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
mrvmax wrote:I'm not sure if you have tried to find 22mag Ammo lately but it is hard to find. It can be found online at a few places but the 5.7 Ammo is easier to obtain right now.
Actually, no I haven't. I only own one firearm capable of firing it, and that is a cheap single action revolver with a .22 LR and a .22 WMR cylinder. I've never even fired any WMR in it. To what is the decline in .22 WMR inventory due?
I think the 22 Mag decline is simply the focus on 22 LR supply the last several years. That would be my guess at least.

I have seen 22 mag ammo at stores. It comes in but is sold quickly. Gun stores are more likely to have it. I have seen it for decent prices online, but even that can be spotty. I have plenty of ammo, but I keep my eyes open like I did for 22 LR a few years ago.

I acquired the Keltec CMR-30 carbine a few months back. It isn't a target gun, but it is a light, handy little rifle to play around with. Very convenient to carry around the woods if you don't want to carry anything heavy.

I would love to have a PS90 also, but I think the same reasons apply now as they did a while back. Cost of the gun and cost of the ammo.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Javier730 »

MechAg94 wrote:
Javier730 wrote:You will also have the checkered texture of the grip imprinted in your palms after holding one for a while.
I have a couple of the FNX handguns. I thought I would hate the heavy checkering on the grips, but I found it really wasn't an issue when shooting at least for me.
Oh I don't mind it either, I just mentioned it because I've heard people complain about that. I personally like the heavy checkering. Helps keep a good grip when shooting.

Another thing I like about the five seven is the large trigger guard. The raised sights will help if you put a suppressor on it. The five seven is one of my favorite pistols.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I was on this kick awhile back that I just "had to have" one. It has many advantages, capacity, velocity, reliability with centerfire cartridge as opposed to .22mag rimfire etc.

But then I considered the cost of ammo, availability (at the time), price of gun, unorthodox safety (at least for me, plus I prefer no extra widgets in my carry rig)...in short, I saw no reason to switch from my 9mm +p from any of my carry guns, Sig p226, G19, G26, H&K usp9c....

Fine pistol and round, but if I want more speed then my 9mm, I'm going for either 5.56 or 7.62x.39. After all, handgun for me is just a substitute until I can get to any of my rifles. And nine is just fine. :thumbs2: My $.02.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

parabelum wrote:I was on this kick awhile back that I just "had to have" one. It has many advantages, capacity, velocity, reliability with centerfire cartridge as opposed to .22mag rimfire etc.

But then I considered the cost of ammo, availability (at the time), price of gun, unorthodox safety (at least for me, plus I prefer no extra widgets in my carry rig)...in short, I saw no reason to switch from my 9mm +p from any of my carry guns, Sig p226, G19, G26, H&K usp9c....

Fine pistol and round, but if I want more speed then my 9mm, I'm going for either 5.56 or 7.62x.39. After all, handgun for me is just a substitute until I can get to any of my rifles. And nine is just fine. :thumbs2: My $.02.
:iagree: But I had to have it. :mrgreen: The safety is never engaged when I carry it.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

ELB wrote:
karder wrote: ...

I like the safety lever a lot. Once you get used to it, it is very intuitive. It is meant to be operated with the trigger finger. ...
When I first saw it I thought maybe that was the case (trigger finger), then reconsidered, but lo and behold.

I have to say my initial reaction is suspicion. Have not been a fan of giving trigger finger more than one job. Suppose I would have to try it and see.

Thanks.
I rented one once. My recollection is that if you "properly" index your finger along the side, you almost can't not deactivate the safety when you move your finger to the trigger. It's very ergonomic.

If I could afford it, I'd get one (and a PS90 to go with it).
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

So....almost 7 months later and against my senses, I ... just bought one. But it was a good deal ... :???:

I had an opportunity to shoot it, and school myself on proper ammo selection etc. and I must say, it is a formidable piece of machinery.

Shoots very flat, this round just zips along, recoil is so tame I can shoot with my non dominant hand and still have decent group at 25 yards at a semi rapid fire (1 shot per second or so), it feeds flawlessly and ammo isn't all that bad...

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/1473-fn ... in-hp.html

I'm liking it so much so that it will be on my hip from time to time.

karder
Posts in topic: 8

Post by karder »

parabelum wrote:So....almost 7 months later and against my senses, I ... just bought one. But it was a good deal ... :???:

I had an opportunity to shoot it, and school myself on proper ammo selection etc. and I must say, it is a formidable piece of machinery.

Shoots very flat, this round just zips along, recoil is so tame I can shoot with my non dominant hand and still have decent group at 25 yards at a semi rapid fire (1 shot per second or so), it feeds flawlessly and ammo isn't all that bad...

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/1473-fn ... in-hp.html

I'm liking it so much so that it will be on my hip from time to time.
I wearing one right now. Welcome to the family! :thumbs2:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

growlerVII
Posts in topic: 1

Post by growlerVII »

I picked up a 22tcm after doing some research on the 5.7. Mostly because I liked the idea 9th a .22cal pill moving 2000fps out of a pistol. 1950-2150fps seems to be about the norm for this round out of my 5" barrel. YUGE fireball and the deafening roar, coupled with little perceived recoil is definitely a winner. And I can find that round in academy, or load my own with some H110..........it was a better all around deal, imho.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Here are some pictures of my fn with Glock 32. FiveSeven is obviously bigger, but surprisingly doesn't really feel that much larger, maybe due to its reduced weight.

FiveSeven weight fully loaded (20 rds): 27.8 oz
G32 fully loaded (13 rds): 30.2 oz

FiveSeven length: 8.2" (doesn't really feel that long, about the length of full size Glock)
G32 length: 6.9"

imgurl

free photo upload

free uploader

The ballistics with some ammo are very impressive. SS198LF which I linked previously has 356 ft/lb of energy zipping along at 2600 ft/sec.

That is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering low recoil which equals precision and faster follow up shots, coupled with nice capacity (you have 20+1 rds plus two 20 rd mags on hand right from the factory, that's a lot of firepower).

Side note, I'm still a devoted Glock person, but I was able to load the 20 rd mag faster then glock's 13 rd mag, by 4 seconds. Probably my fat fingers getting in the way. Still something I noticed.

I like that the takedown is very Glock'ish...it's a breeze to disassemble and reassemble.

Hot ammo can be found for around $.68/rd, if you can wait few days for shipping. About the cost of my hot .357 Sig ammo.

Overall, I'm pleased with it. Can't wait for my crossbreed to arrive. Oh, and polymer shell encasing the steel slide is just neat, especially if you don't like the holster finish wear.

Again, I was skeptical and this was one gun that I didn't want to like. But after handling and firing it, and doing some research on ammo selection, I must say, FN got this one right.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

parabelum wrote:Here are some pictures of my fn with Glock 32. FiveSeven is obviously bigger, but surprisingly doesn't really feel that much larger, maybe due to its reduced weight.
So..... a couple of impressions/questions from looking at your pictures......

1. Would it be accurate to say that the FN is roughly the same size as a G17 in terms of height and length?

2. From front strap to back strap, the FN grip looks like it is roughly the same dimension as one of the .45 ACP or 10mm Glock grip frames. Would that be accurate?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

TAM,

1. Yes, it is roughly the same as g17 in height and length, with the weight that feels like g26.

2. FN grip is about the thickness of a fat .45 or 10mm Glock, with a slightly wider mag well.

If you can live with g21 carry, I think this is perfect as FN feels like a feather next to it.
Now, I had to sell my g21sf in order to juice up the finance of FN, otherwise I would have compared those two, as they are very close to size but very much different on weight.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

And as with any caliber, selecting the right ammo for 5.7 makes the world of difference, as you can see from ps90 test below.
Some 5.7 ammo is very very fast.

rm9792
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rm9792 »

ELB wrote:For anyone who has actually handled a FiveSeven pistol:

Going by its specs, I really want to like pistol,butI've seen it only in pictures. The safety lever seems awfully far forward to me. How do you find it to operate?

I have short fingers, going by the pictures I am not sure that my thumb would reach the safety. That would be a big drawback, deal killer really. Along with the price of the gun and price of the ammo. :sad:
I have the FiveSeven and an SBR'd P90 and the controls are different and took some getting used to, however easy to use once you learn.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”