Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Javier730
Posts in topic: 5

Re: 5.7x28 - the real skinny?

Post by Javier730 »

rm9792 wrote:
ELB wrote:For anyone who has actually handled a FiveSeven pistol:

Going by its specs, I really want to like pistol,butI've seen it only in pictures. The safety lever seems awfully far forward to me. How do you find it to operate?

I have short fingers, going by the pictures I am not sure that my thumb would reach the safety.
That would be a big drawback, deal killer really. Along with the price of the gun and price of the ammo. :sad:
I have the FiveSeven and an SBR'd P90 and the controls are different and took some getting used to, however easy to use once you learn.
I use my index finger when messing with the safety. When I carry my five seven the safety is off though.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

earlwb
Posts in topic: 1

Post by earlwb »

The 5.7x28mm cartridge is very lethal as well as quite effective. Don't forget the unfortunate case of ex-Major Hasan using the cartridge to kill a lot of people at the Army base in Texas a number of years ago. Granted at that time one could get the more hotly loaded ammunition for it. But the results of the round was quite devastating. All people shot in the torso died. Three soldiers charged him in an attempt to stop him, and he stopped them from getting to him. Thus the cartridge has the power to stop people effectively. The bullets had enough power to shatter and fracture bones, including the big femurs too. The survivors were all shot in the extremities.

Now as I see it, the military ammunition tends to penetrate really well maybe too well. It also doesn't appear to be very limited in range or stop quickly and thus could still have lots of collateral damage to civilians caught downrange. I am not sure if the police use the same ammo or not.

Now then reloading should work fine for loading the rounds to be more hot though.

But I prefer the Armscor .22 TCM myself. It uses a heavier 40 grain bullet. The cartridge is designed to fire a 40 grain bullet at over 2,000 fps out of a 5 inch barrel too. Thus it is sort of a semi-automatic version of a .22 Hornet in that sense. This one should prove to be even better for self defense. It still has the light recoil too. But it is loud, like firing a .357 magnum cartridge. I have both the rifle and a handgun that use this cartridge. Reloading hasn't been a problem either. My pistol handles a fairly wide range of load power levels without much ado. So it could be quite versatile in that respect. The rifle works with everything loaded. But with factory ammo the rifle tends to be a bit sticky on extracting the spent cases. The factory ammo is loaded quite hot too. They also have a .22 TCM conversion kit for some of the Glocks (if I remember right).

The .22 WMR is loaded to lower muzzle velocities than the .22 TCM or the 5.7x28mm is loaded to. But not quite as speedy though in a pistol. It would make a decent self defense round as long as the barrel length doesn't get below 4.25 inches, but being rimfire it is not as reliable. Sometimes one can get a misfire where the round's primer charge doesn't detonate. The Kel-Tec PMR-30, would be pretty awesome in that respect with its 30 round magazines in a handgun. But the Kel-Tec pistol is quite light in weight even with the magazine loaded. So if one has one and it is showing itself to be reliable then it would work well too.

Now then years ago I was quite partial to the 7.62x25mm Tokarev pistols. I had one for a long time and it was a great shooter. Same loud noise, spectacular flame front, light recoil etc. But back then you could only get FMJ bullet ammo for it. So it wasn't good for self defense in that sense. But today they do sell soft point bullets for it. So it likely would not be a bad choice either.

karder
Posts in topic: 8

Post by karder »

earlwb wrote:Granted at that time one could get the more hotly loaded ammunition for it.
I have understood from reports that Hasan was firing the FN sporting round, SS197SR when he committed his terror attack. I always carry T6B, which is a hot round for sure. SS198LF Green Tip ammo can be found readily on the civilian market for those who want it, but I prefer the Elite Ammunition loads.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TheFriscoKid »

Which Elite rounds would be illegal in Texas for the 5.7?

Does it depend whether they are loaded into a pistol or a PS90?

Thanks in advance.

karder
Posts in topic: 8

Post by karder »

TheFriscoKid wrote:Which Elite rounds would be illegal in Texas for the 5.7?

Does it depend whether they are loaded into a pistol or a PS90?

Thanks in advance.
As far as I know, all Elite Ammunition loads are legal in Texas. They have a list of states and counties that they will not sell to, but unless someone knows otherwise, I think you are good to get what you want in Texas.

The T6B remains my favorite, but the S4M is another great choice. I need to try the DevestaTOR. If I am remembering correctly, they used to offer it to law enforcement only, but now are allowing civilian sales. It is a 37 grain Trident which seems to penetrate nicely but I have yet to try it out myself. The 5.7 is a round that needs speed to shine and the 28gr bullets really zip along, so I always opt for lighter bullets.

Vanguard Outfitters is making some custom 5.7 loads that look interesting as well. The 5.7 is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is a lot of fun testing out some of the different loads available.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”