holster wiggle

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
growlerVII
Posts in topic: 4

holster wiggle

Post by growlerVII »

Sometimes I carry a commander length 1911. It's a great pistol and, I don't mind the weight. The problem I have is when carried at 4:30 in a custom kydex holster it tends to need adjustment. The grip starts drifting downward on me. I've got another holster but the kydex is the easiest on/off rig I own. It has one of those injection molded belt clips. Any suggestions to mitigate the rotation on the belt? Should I make another belt loop for it? Move on to a different holster? Or just suck it up and, adjust it as needed? It rides on a wilderness 1.75" instructor's belt (great product!)
Anyone have this problem? Thoughts?

Ryan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: holster wiggle

Post by Ryan »

growlerVII wrote:Sometimes I carry a commander length 1911. It's a great pistol and, I don't mind the weight. The problem I have is when carried at 4:30 in a custom kydex holster it tends to need adjustment. The grip starts drifting downward on me. I've got another holster but the kydex is the easiest on/off rig I own. It has one of those injection molded belt clips. Any suggestions to mitigate the rotation on the belt? Should I make another belt loop for it? Move on to a different holster? Or just suck it up and, adjust it as needed? It rides on a wilderness 1.75" instructor's belt (great product!)

What type of holster do you have? Is there only one clip?

I also carry a 1911 commander in an IWB alien gear and do not have that issue at all. But it has 2 clips which does not allow any kind of rotation at all.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Can you snug the belt some and it remain comfortable?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

growlerVII wrote:Sometimes I carry a commander length 1911. It's a great pistol and, I don't mind the weight. The problem I have is when carried at 4:30 in a custom kydex holster it tends to need adjustment. The grip starts drifting downward on me. I've got another holster but the kydex is the easiest on/off rig I own. It has one of those injection molded belt clips. Any suggestions to mitigate the rotation on the belt? Should I make another belt loop for it? Move on to a different holster? Or just suck it up and, adjust it as needed? It rides on a wilderness 1.75" instructor's belt (great product!)

You didn't mention if it's an IWB or OWB holster. That'll make a difference.

I've gotta think the single belt clip is the likely culprit. If the Kydex shell and associated tension retention is properly constructed, I have to believe having a single pivot point on the belt is the problem. Even a wide belt clip, if a single, simply isn't as stable as a holster that has two clips for a base. And most modern IWB hybrid Kydex holsters (Comp-Tac, Crossbreed, Alien Gear) have the clips fairly widely spaced on the back of the leather base.

Since you're using a 1.75" belt, that isn't likely a contributor. But a general note is that I've talked to people before who felt their holsters weren't very stable, and in some cases they were using a holster slotted for 1.75" on a 1.5" belt. Even if the gun doesn't shift--as in rotate--if a holster has nice tension retension, drawing from a belt that is mismatched to the holster slots/clips can present a definite issue. Holster can slide up and down.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I assumed it was an IWB holster. After reading Skiprr post, I realize my assumption may have been bad.

If it is a single clip OWB holster that is designed to clip onto the belt and it wobbles, I would reconsider holsters.

Can you add a link to the holster you are using or give us brand and model info?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Skiprr wrote:

I've gotta think the single belt clip is the likely culprit. If the Kydex shell and associated tension retention is properly constructed, I have to believe having a single pivot point on the belt is the problem. Even a wide belt clip, if a single, simply isn't as stable as a holster that has two clips for a base. And most modern IWB hybrid Kydex holsters (Comp-Tac, Crossbreed, Alien Gear) have the clips fairly widely spaced on the back of the leather base.

Since you're using a 1.75" belt, that isn't likely a contributor. But a general note is that I've talked to people before who felt their holsters weren't very stable, and in some cases they were using a holster slotted for 1.75" on a 1.5" belt. Even if the gun doesn't shift--as in rotate--if a holster has nice tension retension, drawing from a belt that is mismatched to the holster slots/clips can present a definite issue. Holster can slide up and down.

:iagree:

I have a kydex holster that was part of the package that came with my M&P. It came with two belt slots spaced fairly wide apart, but pushed the holster out away from my hip more than I liked. I removed them and installed a Tek-Lok, but but even though it was secure to the holster, it allowed for some twist, because the connection point on the belt was a much smaller footprint for lack of a better word.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

I knew I left some stuff out.......
1 it is an iwb holster.
2 there is a single "shultz" clip
3 I actually own alien gear, and love their holsters. Pretty easy to take off but im still struggling with the "on" portion. This particular "no name" custom kydex is just the most convenient to put on and take off.
im fairly certain I'll end up going with one of the AG holsters I have.......I just wanted to know if anyone else had switched out the belt loop and had decent results. My other holster for the 1911 is a blade tech model. It has loops vs. the clip and very little movement. I thought I'd try a leather "H" style loop. But if it don't work then it's probably the result of the grip weight, and sitting in a car.

Topic author
growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

Skiprr wrote:

I had to specifically request 1.75" belt clips when I bought my holsters. Didn't get them. I was stuck with 1.5" clips initially. Then I bought the bigger ones. More tension on the belt seems to work OK but there's still some wiggle. Not enough to trash the holster, just more than I'd like.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

My Kydex is a Blade Tech also, OWB, I went back with the belt loops, to keep it from twisting, but I just don't like how far out it puts my pistol. I'm considering going with molle clips mounted in the same place as the loops and see if it stays rigid enough.

Topic author
growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

Jusme wrote:My Kydex is a Blade Tech also, OWB, I went back with the belt loops, to keep it from twisting, but I just don't like how far out it puts my pistol. I'm considering going with molle clips mounted in the same place as the loops and see if it stays rigid enough.
so far, the most stable owb platform I own is the blackhawk serpa paddle. I was reluctant to try it at first but im so glad I did. The rubber belt loops on my blade tech didn't hold up so well. I made some new ones from some 8oz. leather I had lying around. Did the trick nicely.
But the placement is wider on the blade tech than it is on the kydex.......im thinking a wider loop with a stiff backing. Meh, maybe im over thinking this.

striker55
Posts in topic: 1

Post by striker55 »

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

growlerVII wrote:so far, the most stable owb platform I own is the blackhawk serpa paddle.
There are a LOT of people who despise the Serpa and have no problems telling you that. However, I love my Serpa for OWB. But I just can't get used to the paddle. It just doesn't feel right and I don't like it. I use the belt attachment. It's a pain taking it on and off if you wear an Ares Gear Ranger belt like I do. Which is why I pretty much only use it when I'm on my motorcycle now. I want that extra retention while I'm on the bike. I've since gone back to my Alien Gear IWB strictly for the ease of taking it on an off.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Jusme wrote: I removed them and installed a Tek-Lok, but but even though it was secure to the holster, it allowed for some twist, because the connection point on the belt was a much smaller footprint for lack of a better word.

I thought the Tek-Lok has two inserts that are movable in those slots down the center so that you could reduce opening for the belt area.

Look at around 2:20 in this video if it doesn't start there.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Wag2323 wrote:
Jusme wrote: I removed them and installed a Tek-Lok, but but even though it was secure to the holster, it allowed for some twist, because the connection point on the belt was a much smaller footprint for lack of a better word.

I thought the Tek-Lok has two inserts that are movable in those slots down the center so that you could reduce opening for the belt area.

Look at around 2:20 in this video if it doesn't start there.

It does, my belt is 1-3/4" so it uses all available space with no attachments. The issue is that it centralizes the holster to only the width of the Tek-Lok approx 2" and does not allow the belt to be woven back through a belt loop, like having two separate loops/slots do, which puts all of the strain on a very small part of the belt. My particular Blade Tech had two plastic loops mounted on it, that did spread out the weight distribution, but they were rigid and caused the pistol to stand further away from my body. Just a personal preference, I like my DeSantis, leather holster, it holds my pistol high and tight. My kydex is fine but, I only use it occasionally usually when drawing and firing, at a range I very seldom wear it when carrying in public.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Jusme wrote:

It does, my belt is 1-3/4" so it uses all available space with no attachments. The issue is that it centralizes the holster to only the width of the Tek-Lok approx 2" and does not allow the belt to be woven back through a belt loop, like having two separate loops/slots do, which puts all of the strain on a very small part of the belt. My particular Blade Tech had two plastic loops mounted on it, that did spread out the weight distribution, but they were rigid and caused the pistol to stand further away from my body. Just a personal preference, I like my DeSantis, leather holster, it holds my pistol high and tight. My kydex is fine but, I only use it occasionally usually when drawing and firing, at a range I very seldom wear it when carrying in public.

Good to know. I have not tried a Tek-Lok but have looked at them. Thanks

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”