Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JLaw
Posts in topic: 2

S&W 642 Questions

Post by JLaw »

I've got three questions about my 642:

1) what material is the frame, cylinder, and barrell made of,

2) I have a very hard time cleaning the area of the frame around the forcing cone, inside of the frame. I know this doesn't make sense so I've included a photo--

This is an old photo, and the area is a little darker now. It's only cosmetic but I really want my guns CLEAN. Hoppes doesn't cut it, the finish is starting to wear off from using a stiff brush, area is to small/hard to get to with Flitz. If anyone has any experience or recommendations I'd surely appreciate them.

and...

3) the trigger gets "stiff" for a split second just before the trigger breaks. Is this what's known as "stacking" of the mainspring? Or is it just that the gun's not fully broken in and will smooth out over time (about 800 or so rounds through it)? I've just started using Militec1 in it to see if that'll help.

Thank you.

JLaw

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Methinks the frame on that one is aluminum alloy with steel cylincer and barrel.

That has been traditionally difficult for me to to get back to being anything but black, but I've not used anything much stiffer than a toothbrush - and lots of repetitions.

Although ya did not mention, the carbon build up on the front of the chambers can sometimes also be next-to-impossible to get back to new. Some of us have found that lots of elbow grease and a pencil eraser helps about a well as anything.

800 rounds on a j-frame trigger (especially the newer ones) ain't much for beginning to smooth one out. Heck, several years ago when they first came out, I dry fired a 342 more than that before taking it to gunsmith to get it tweaked. Then dry fired it some more and shot the hell out of it for a couple of years before a lady student swindled me out of it for $500 and named it "The Baby".

I put her $500 in towards a 340. But still have not got that trigger to match the one on the 342. Have tried at least twice to buy "The Baby" back, but she won't let it go ... :cry:

Methinks the Model 642 is a good "carry" option. Not an ultra-light which can put the hurt on the recoil sensitive, yet not too heavy to carry all day. And now most are rated for +Ps. Sounds like if you've not been spoiled by a really good trigger and can wait, you might eventually be able to dry fire that one into being acceptable.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Ya know, I don't have any problem getting the black off the front of the cylinder, maybe I just get lucky in that spot. Guess I'll be getting out the Hoppes and toothbrush and going to town later today though, see if I can get it clean. Never heard of the pencil eraser trick before, might try it first. Also glad to hear that there is hope for the trigger smoothing out, it's by no means BAD, but I can notice it because I have been spoiled by a silky smooth trigger on my 4" six shooter.

Greybeard -- What work did you have your 'smith do to your trigger? Just curious.

JLaw

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "What work did you have your 'smith do to your trigger?"

Quite frankly, I'm not positive. Just told him "Hey Doc, this one's chitty too. Please fix it." I think he does some internal polishing after it's been dry fired a while to see what's happening where.

I recall having Doc Jones (972-245-2955, Carrollton) also work on my Ruger SP-101 years ago, where I think he changed out some springs, but I don't think he likes to mess with the springs on the newer Smiths. Afraid of getting them too light and they can have light primer strikes and misfires. Not good on a defensive gun ... Doc's not taken any of my DAO triggers down yet to the point they don't go bang every time.

But, a buddy fooling with new springs for his Ruger Super Blackhawk recently did ... and had to go back up to another one.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

I use Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner and a green kitchen sponge (the rough kind) to clean that carbon stuff off of the cylinder and next to the barrel of my 642.

And yeah, I want my trigger to smooth up a bit as well. I will probably have it looked at by a good smith as well as more dry firing. And then some more dry firing...

Baytown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Baytown »

JLaw, don't worry, sit back, and drink a few. Guns like to be dirty, it's like a protective coating, much line sun screen for a firearm. It will be OK. The guy who needs shooting won't be able to tell the difference.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”