Question: Proper Handgun Grip For Self-Defense?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Noggin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question: Proper Handgun Grip For Self-Defense?

Post by Noggin »

When I did my LTC course the instructor made two things very clear:

1. Keep practising, a lot.

2. Learn to shoot with both hands which also means not always with both hands on the gun at the same time.

So I now do some shooting one handed with either hand.
Last edited by Noggin on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

karder

Post by karder »

As others have already noted, there are so many variables that identifying one proper grip is impossible. Getting some good training from a reputable instructor can go a long way and will introduce you to some different techniques and scenarios. Being alert and aware of your surroundings makes all the difference in the world. If the threat is already on top of you, you may have to clear space before you can attempt to present a weapon. An alert mind and clear thinking will be your greatest asset.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:What, do you mean you guys can't snatch your gun out of the holster and shoot from the hip, putting 5 rounds into one ragged hole at 25 yards?

I thought everyone could do that. :headscratch

... except me.
I see what you did there.
:biggrinjester:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

karder wrote:Getting some good training from a reputable instructor can go a long way and will introduce you to some different techniques and scenarios.
:iagree: I can only provide some lessons learned based on my own mistakes in that regard.

Way back when I was (a little) younger and (a little) fitter, I drew up something of a firearm training bucket list and decided that, over a period of years, I wanted to take classes from a number of the biggest-name instructors/schools I knew of, like Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Gabe Suarez, Mas Ayoob, John Farnam, Paul Howe, Kelly McCann, Craig Douglas, Brian Hoffner, Spec Ops Systems, and others. Looked good on paper, but I didn't get as far as I'd hoped.

One failure was inadequate research. There's really no standardization around the country in defensive firearm training, but there are a lot of great schools and instructors. Some will accept a completed basics course from a different instructor as evidence of competency in order to take a more advanced course, but many will not. Taking a "Gun 101" class from multiple instructors ain't as helpful as an intermediate or advanced course from multiple instructors. I'm proof.

Recommendation: Do extensive research and make a detailed roadmap if you plan to do more than take an introductory course. The classes, ammo, and travel and lodging (if required) ain't collectively cheap, so go in understanding exactly what are and are not "transferable credits" in order to maximize the training. If you really want to take an intermediate defensive handgun class at Gunsite in Arizona, it'll be pretty deflating to learn that the introductory course you just took won't allow you in and that you'll still have to take Gunsite's introductory course.

If someone is completely or mostly new to handgunning, the NRA courses are, comparatively, inexpensive, quick, often local, and a solid start. Money well spent. A lot of independent schools/trainers, though, won't take an NRA certificate as evidence of basic competency to step into their more advanced courses; most of those non-NRA beginner courses are pretty active two-day affairs. The NRA breaks things up into smaller chunks.

Once you've had some training, go into the next course as if you really hadn't. All gun safety lessons are ingrained and do carry over, of course, but otherwise the biggest favor you can do for yourself--especially if taking a class from a new-to-you instructor--is to keep a completely open mind. Be a sponge, and never even think, "But I was taught to do it differently," or "I've always done it this way."

Even if never spoken, those resistance thoughts become a huge impediment to absorbing the instruction you're paying hundreds for. And spoken, it engenders no love from the instructor...or other students in the class. Doesn't mean not to ask questions. Just don't let past training or knowledge interfere with what's being taught. Pretend you're a college student attending a lecture by a Nobel Prize laureate. Set any preconceptions aside and soak up as much info as you can.

Somewhat related and something I stumbled on accidentally. I've never had any training scheduled for a full day not go at least eight hours; I've had many, especially if including low-light instruction, go 10 and even 12 hours. Not necessarily the best scenario for retaining new information (a subject for later; I'm reading a book right now that, in part, addresses that very issue). At first I'd go back to the hotel, do a quick clean and check of the firearms used, shower, and collapse to sleep like the dead.

Kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner, I started carrying a digital audio recorder with me. If there was a lecture portion of the course, I'd ask if I could record it for personal reference only. Most times I got a "yes." But then I'd also use it as soon as possible after a day was over to record what was taught, what we did in range training, what I learned...takeaways I wanted to remember, because your retention just ain't great if you're exhausted and sleep on it.

Once the course is finished and you're on your way back home, that's a good time to bring past training back up. The digital recorder can be helpful again. Do a compare and contrast. What techniques/concepts were new, similar, or different. If different, how, and what supporting information backs up each? Which do you think are the most logical and plan to adopt? In fact, your preference may end up being a hybrid of different techniques that you think makes the most sense. The result is you have not only a solid understanding of what to practice, but why it's the best thing to practice.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”