Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Surgeon
Posts in topic: 12

Re: RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SMALL COMPACT SEMI FOR PETITE LADY

Post by Surgeon »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Surgeon wrote:
puma guy wrote:My wife has small hands with little grip strength. She has a S&W 9mm Shield that she struggles to operate. The recoil is a little more than she likes, but she perseveres. We decided to try .380 pistols and after shooting several (6 or 7 ) different models she liked the Glock 42 the best. I steered her toward locking breech semi's since they are a little easier to rack. She shot the G42 well also. She did good with the SIG 238, but liked the Glock better. She doesn't know I bought her one for Christmas because two of our daughters have been out of town and we had to postpone Christmas until this weekend. You may want to find a range that will rent pistols for her to try, but I recommend locked breech over the blowback/recoil operated pistols in what ever caliber she can handle.
Had not considered that. Good to know. I know of several ranges here in Houston that offer rentals so I think this weekend will be a range day and we'll do some tire kicking. Thanks, good info.
You don't even need to rent if she just wants to try racking the slide. Just go to an Academy or any other gun store.
The only reason would be to see how she feels with it. Loading, shooting, recoil and general handling. Racking an empty handgun vs loaded is a little different. And believe me, just like re-arranging furniture I'd like to get it right the first time. LOL. Downside of getting it wrong is I'll have another for my collection. There are worse things. :iagree:
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

Lots of great recommendations and information. Thanks to everyone for the replies and input. I'll let ya know what she decides on and post it for future reference for "when" anyone else faces the same decision.
:thumbs2:
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

hankintexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hankintexas »

If you take her shopping as I did, have her try the Walther PK380. My wife and daughter both love them. Every class I teach and someone needs a loaner, I let them try it. I should call Walther and demand a commission for the number I have sold.

They are solid, dependable and priced very well. I have not had a ftf or fte in over 2000 rounds in either of them. They are very easy to operate, light, accurate and dependable.

Just my opinion. Keep an open mind and let her try several different models
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

hankintexas wrote:If you take her shopping as I did, have her try the Walther PK380. My wife and daughter both love them. Every class I teach and someone needs a loaner, I let them try it. I should call Walther and demand a commission for the number I have sold.

They are solid, dependable and priced very well. I have not had a ftf or fte in over 2000 rounds in either of them. They are very easy to operate, light, accurate and dependable.

Just my opinion. Keep an open mind and let her try several different models
Nice looking pistol and not a bad price. I'll add it to the list. Thanks !!!

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Remember if the hammer is exposed you can cock it first. That can dramatically reduce the amount of force required to rack the slide.
If she gets a gun for your birthday, then maybe you'll at least get to keep all of yours. Honey-Sweetie-Cutie Pie has liberated two of mine... so far.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The SIG P238 (.380ACP) is a very popular handgun with women. It's easy to rack the slide, it has real sights, and mild recoil. If she's left-handed, an ambi-safety kit is available.

Like all SIGs, they are overpriced. The best price Martha found was $519, with Tru Glo sights, at Academy.

Chas.
I really liked the SIG 238. It was down to the SIG or the G42 and she just liked the Glock more. I had Sigitis and found a P232 that I took as a tonic for a temporary cure!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

Boxerrider wrote:Remember if the hammer is exposed you can cock it first. That can dramatically reduce the amount of force required to rack the slide.
If she gets a gun for your birthday, then maybe you'll at least get to keep all of yours. Honey-Sweetie-Cutie Pie has liberated two of mine... so far.
Don't tell her but I'm hoping it takes her 3 buying mistakes to get it right. Can't have too many!
:thumbs2:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

For the record, I'm not a Sig fan, the P938 is the only one I own, but I love that little gun.
same here. However, after firing one, my initial thoughts were:
1. its sure easier to shoot than its size would suggest
2. I must have one.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

ghostrider wrote:
For the record, I'm not a Sig fan, the P938 is the only one I own, but I love that little gun.
same here. However, after firing one, my initial thoughts were:
1. its sure easier to shoot than its size would suggest
2. I must have one.
One of my 2 favorite carry guns.....so far :fire
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

Take a look at the tip up barrel Berettas, the Cheetah in 380 & 32 model 86 and 81 respectively if my memory is correct, are world class pistols.

They may be a little large to meet your compact criteria, however.

An alternative is the Tom Cat in 32, very compact, if you can live with a 32 ACP.

Tip up auto pistols make a lot of sense for folks with hand strength and dexterity challenges.

And truthfully there isn't that much difference between a 32 and 380, in my opinion.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”