Page 4 of 8

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 am
by Skiprr
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Skiprr wrote:
ELB wrote:Man, are there going to be a lot of sad puppies when it turns out the shop owner was running a .38 Super from his shooting match days.... :mrgreen:

And especially if he was shooting a 130 grain bullet with a charge that just barely made a 125 power factor. :shock:


I'm going to pray that God will forgive you guys for this. He probably won't, but I'm going to try anyway.

Chas.

It's ELB's fault. He was thinking of the first Men in Black movie where Tommy Lee Jones handed Will Smith a gun to fight aliens...and it was about the size of a Pez dispenser.

[Confirms sidearm: 1911 loaded with 230-grain Ranger +P. Check. Carry on...]

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:14 pm
by Hoodasnacks
Look at the video at 9 seconds. The BG looked away for a split second, which is why he ended up shooting second. There's a SA lesson for ya.

Charles could have used this moment to open up a round in the chamber argument, an argument about where/how to carry, but he went for caliber...If I had time I would make a Dr. Evil picture noting that Charles likes guns of that....caliber."

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:21 pm
by Beiruty
Hoodasnacks wrote:Look at the video at 9 seconds. The BG looked away for a split second, which is why he ended up shooting second. There's a SA lesson for ya.

Charles could have used this moment to open up a round in the chamber argument, an argument about where/how to carry, but he went for caliber...If I had time I would make a Dr. Evil picture noting that Charles likes guns of that....caliber."


Did he pull a second pistol at that moment?

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:29 pm
by Jusme
Beiruty wrote:
Hoodasnacks wrote:Look at the video at 9 seconds. The BG looked away for a split second, which is why he ended up shooting second. There's a SA lesson for ya.

Charles could have used this moment to open up a round in the chamber argument, an argument about where/how to carry, but he went for caliber...If I had time I would make a Dr. Evil picture noting that Charles likes guns of that....caliber."


Did he pull a second pistol at that moment?



That's what I was trying to determine. It looks like he looked away while reaching for a second gun. He definitely drops two things when he hits the floor, but it is hard to tell if it is two guns or one gun and something else. Either way, he was DRT. Not the best target to try to rob in my opinion. I have never known pawn shop owners to be unarmed. They should post this everywhere to teach people that crime doesn't pay.

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:42 pm
by txglock21
Before the glass breaks (gets shot out?), look at the guns inside the glass case. I count three or four Glock cases. I can't make out the actual guns in there. Also when BG falls, two guns land on the floor. Nice work pawn shop owner! BTW, I always carry a .45, but not 1911. If anyone is willing to donate to me a 1911, I promise to carry it. :mrgreen:

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm
by Pariah3j
I'm going to leave this right here... :leaving


Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:44 pm
by flechero
Pariah3j wrote:I'm going to leave this right here... :leaving


In this case, yankee marshall is right... if you define the least desirable caliber as the one that incapacitates your attacker instantly on the first, well placed shot- then yes, the .45acp is awful, maybe worse than his beloved .380. :shock:

He's no more qualified to do my business taxes than to explain why a one size fits all approach to caliber choice is legitimate.

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:47 pm
by Pawpaw
bblhd672 wrote:Too bad he wasn't using a S&W .357 Magnum ala Dirty Harry.

Dirty Harry is famous for the .44 Magnum he claimed to carry.

I've heard and read many times that the gun used in the movie was really a .41 Magnum.

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:38 pm
by mr1337
b4aftr wrote:What about the other perp?


I'm betting the shot didn't connect.

Bet the gun owner wishes he had a 9mm for faster, more accurate follow-up shots. :mrgreen:

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:43 pm
by der Teufel
mr1337 wrote:Bet the gun owner wishes he had a 9mm for faster, more accurate follow-up shots. :mrgreen:


Oooh, Good One !!

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 pm
by jason812


Because a 9mm kills your body, but a .45 kills your soul

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:47 pm
by dlh
Reporters never give me the detail I want in these stories which would include:

The precise handgun and ammo used;
Confirmation on his body where the bad guy was shot;
Name of the deceased bad guy and his criminal history (we can assume it is extensive in these sorts of cases);
The training the good guy previously received;
Was the good guy retired military?;
Did the second bad guy fire any shots?;

Many of the reporters writing these stories know little about firearms or the right questions to ask in these situations.

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:13 pm
by bblhd672
Pawpaw wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Too bad he wasn't using a S&W .357 Magnum ala Dirty Harry.

Dirty Harry is famous for the .44 Magnum he claimed to carry.

I've heard and read many times that the gun used in the movie was really a .41 Magnum.


Ooops...disregard...I meant .44 Magnum

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:28 pm
by AndyC
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Skiprr wrote:
ELB wrote:Man, are there going to be a lot of sad puppies when it turns out the shop owner was running a .38 Super from his shooting match days.... :mrgreen:

And especially if he was shooting a 130 grain bullet with a charge that just barely made a 125 power factor. :shock:


I'm going to pray that God will forgive you guys for this. He probably won't, but I'm going to try anyway.

Chas.

:lol: :smilelol5: :rolll

Re: Attempted robbery at Dixie Gun and Pawn: 1911 saves the day!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:57 pm
by puma guy
Yep!
Image