Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Post by puma guy »

mrvmax wrote:
DanD wrote:I have been using M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner. It's non-toxic, environmentally safe, does a really good job at removing carbon and it does not stink.

http://www.mpro7.com/m-pro7-gun-cleaner.html

Edited to add that the M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner has no odor. Here is an explanation as to why http://www.mpro7.com/if-it-doesnt-smell ... -work.html
I've tested numerous solvents and M Pro 7 is one of the best for cleaning out of the dozen or so I tested. Granted it was no scientific test but just my own experiment. I did not care for Froglube or Ballistil. I still mainly use 50/50 Hopes and Kroil. No I don't use gloves, I have spent the majority of my life in chemical plants so cleaning solvents won't do any more harm than my daily work routine. I use the solvent as cologne anyway so I don't mind the smell.
:lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Until very recently, all I've used is Hoppes No. 9 without gloves.

Sure, I didn't wear gloves and I've only had cancer once...and I'm not kidding.

Well, ok, it was a melanoma, which if not caught in time is 98% of the time is fatal, but whose counting...?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

IIRC, Froglube, which I also use, is not a solvent and is not intended for the removal of scoring or gun powder build up, but I could be wrong. The MPro-7 stuff is and works very well. I'll use it if I'm not in the mood to use the sonic cleaner or sometimes before throwing the parts into the sonic cleaner if they are especially grimy from a long day or couple days of use.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Glock4ever
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Glock4ever »

Used gloves for the first time when cleaning a semi auto shotgun. Broke 2 of the nitrile gloves and then gave up

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

I started using gloves about 10 years ago, not because of the toxins but because I found it so much easier to clean my hands that were already stained from years of not using gloves on other activities at work. I use the Harbor Freight blue nitrile gloves. I try to keep several boxes on hand so I can replenish when they are on sale. (which is often)
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

No gloves here. I can barely field strip firearms without springs flying with my bare hands. I imagine gloves would be a no go for me. We keep many boxes of gloves around for other stuff...

Regarding smells, I'm trying to carry on tradition from my ancestors. My grandfathers house smelled of Hoppes, Absorbing Junior and Icy Hot. My dads smells like Hoopes mainly with a hint of Icy Hot if hes not using Blue Emu. Mine is just hoppes and gun oil for now. Not in a hurry to advance to Icy Hot stage...
III

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

One contribution I would like to make to this thread (sorry if someone already posted it) is to post this link to a glove manufacturer's guide for selecting gloves based upon chemical compatibility. This will help a user to:

1. Look up the MSDS for a given cleaning product, lubricant or whatever (contact the product manufacturer or go to their website).
2. Check the formulation for whatever chemicals it contains in the largest percentages.
3. Cross-reference the chemicals with the glove material indicated in the guide that will resist those chemicals best.

http://www.ansellpro.com/download/Ansel ... eGuide.pdf

Liberty enquired about CLP earlier in the thread. My opinion, take it or leave it, is that it is unrealistic to expect a single product to perform three different functions properly (cleaning, lubricating, protecting, hence the acronym). Furthermore, I have not been impressed the few times I have used CLP. I reckon it can function okay as a lubricant on a limited, temporary basis until I can find something better for the application; this is how I would choose to use it and presently use it.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

I don't wear gloves and I use the Gunzilla stuff. Doesn't stink one bit either.

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

I love the smell of gun oil and have never worn them. :lol:
Never even thought about it, really. Interesting discussion.

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

I thought hops #9 was a cologne that worked good for cleaning firearms.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Yes, for many yrs for most of the reasons already stated. I learned a few decades ago that I was living longer than expected & decided to
take better care of my skin (It is the largest organ of the human body).
SIGFan43 wrote:I use Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner, CLP, and oil when cleaning my pistols. After cleaning my pistols 2 weeks ago, my excema on the sides of my hands near the small finger joints flared up, leaving itchy cracks on my hands. For those of you who live with this issue, you know sometimes it takes days for it to get better. I use a prescription ointment to treat my itchy spots when my hands dry out. I definitely think gun solvents caused that flare-up, so I will wear some of my blue Nitrile gloves I bought at Sam's for dirty jobs every time I clean my pistols. Great idea! Thanks, guys, for bringing this issue to my attention.
SIGFan43, after putting the ointment on your hands put on a pr of gloves for as long as you can take it. The increased moisture has
helped w absorbtion for me & shortens recovery time. This even works for dry hands & plain lotion.

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

Nuts wrote:I thought hops #9 was a cologne that worked good for cleaning firearms.
Back in the 1970s, several of my friends agreed that if we could wear aftershave or cologne that smelled like Hoppe's No. 9 or cordite, we would all buy some. :lol:
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

pushpullpete wrote:Yes, for many yrs for most of the reasons already stated. I learned a few decades ago that I was living longer than expected & decided to
take better care of my skin (It is the largest organ of the human body).
SIGFan43 wrote:I use Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner, CLP, and oil when cleaning my pistols. After cleaning my pistols 2 weeks ago, my excema on the sides of my hands near the small finger joints flared up, leaving itchy cracks on my hands. For those of you who live with this issue, you know sometimes it takes days for it to get better. I use a prescription ointment to treat my itchy spots when my hands dry out. I definitely think gun solvents caused that flare-up, so I will wear some of my blue Nitrile gloves I bought at Sam's for dirty jobs every time I clean my pistols. Great idea! Thanks, guys, for bringing this issue to my attention.
SIGFan43, after putting the ointment on your hands put on a pr of gloves for as long as you can take it. The increased moisture has
helped w absorbtion for me & shortens recovery time. This even works for dry hands & plain lotion.
I used to wear the blue nitrile gloves at the Little Rock postal distribution center on the flat sorting machine, and my gloves would tear open at the finger tips several times each night, and my hands would be sweating, so yes, plenty of moisture there. Thank the Lord I don't have to do that anymore.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”