Outragous - Dicks Sporting Goods

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Teamless
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Outragous - Dicks Sporting Goods

Post by Teamless »

mojo84 wrote:
Then why was it the credit card terminal that asked the question?
Credit card terminals are just an extension of the Point of Purchase (POP) machine (cash register for us old folks).
Its a computer, programmed by Dicks.

Just like at Academy where it asks for Zip Code, I always hit cancel. Yet I still process my credit card through it.
Its not the CC company asking for my Zip, its Academy trying to get information about their clients.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Abraham
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Abraham »

" The question at the terminal wasn't if you were a citizen, but if you were an illegal alien"

Semantics aside, they're mirror enough to each other for government work...

Don't ax me if I'm an illegal alien or a citizen, cuz it ain't nunya...

So, if I don't want to answer this question, I can buy elsewhere?

Happily!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Teamless ,

The Academy I go to has dropped the zip code question, but back when they did I'd always cheerfully respond with "Make One Up" and the cashier would usually smile and do just that.

When asked for my phone number by a retailer, I've started responding with "Hey, I'm married"!

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

K5CLC wrote:Best advice I have is stay away from the mega chains, buy from smaller companies that really need the sale. Even if its a $1 more, i'd rather avoid the corporate monsters and help small business. The same reason i've purchased my last two pistols from a local gun store and not Academy. They care more about what you are getting and will tell you.
:iagree: :thumbs2: :clapping:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:Teamless ,

The Academy I go to has dropped the zip code question, but back when they did I'd always cheerfully respond with "Make One Up" and the cashier would usually smile and do just that.

When asked for my phone number by a retailer, I've started responding with "Hey, I'm married"!
Radio Shack was the poster child for asking intrusive questions before they would allow you the privilege of buying a battery from them. Funny thing is, I don't see a lot of Radio Shacks around any more.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 10

Post by cyphertext »

Abraham wrote:"But if you don't like the terms of the transaction, then don't go through with it and take your money elsewhere..." odd, I do think I said I'd take my greenbacks elsewhere...eh?

"Nice try but it's obvious you have no clue how the merchant services systems work."

There's no nice try, there's pointing out the practice of asking this intrusive question is so rare that I've no knowledge of it being used at any other retailer that sells ammo and accepts credit cards for payment.

You that meekly accept and answer questions regarding your citizenship status by a retailer seem to not appreciate how autocratic a question it is.

Retailers don't have the authority to question my citizenship status, irrespective of who they point to as the source of the question.

If you think I'm being overly sensitive to having my citizenship questioned by a retailer, my response is your perspective is spiritless...

I think about people who question in their turn, 'nothing', for fear of being thought uncooperative. When if fact, they have every right to question the questioner...

If they don't stand up for themselves, who will?

Given the tameness of many, I wonder if there's any line they'd draw when it comes to being asked inappropriate questions.

Oh dear, I don't want to offend, so yes, ask me any question, all questions, I'll answer and I'll do so promptly...gulp.
So you refuse to answer the same question when purchasing a firearm from a FFL? How does that work out for ya?

I think you are missing the point though... getting loud and causing a scene with some retail clerk does nothing but make you look like an ass. If you want to question the policy, then the corporate HQ is where that question goes, not yelling at the cashier who neither makes policy or has the authority to over ride it.

Personally, I don't see the issue. Under the GCA, an illegal alien is a prohibited person. Should a merchant not take steps to insure that they are not providing firearms and ammunition to prohibited people? After all, it is their FFL at stake if they sell to a prohibited person and the ATF decides to take action against them.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Soccerdad1995,

I remember well.

When asked for my address, phone number, blood type, name of my first born, I always remained pleasant when I would tell them "you don't need that" and I'm not kidding, they'd act like I had no right in not providing this information.

I recall at one RS the manager acted like he was going to go to blows when I wouldn't give him the information. It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud, he noticed and went red faced with rage and high tailed it to (presumably) to his office in the back of the store.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 19

Post by mojo84 »

Teamless wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Credit card terminals are just an extension of the Point of Purchase (POP) machine (cash register for us old folks).

Just like at Academy where it asks for Zip Code, I always hit cancel. Yet I still process my credit card through it.
Its not the CC company asking for my Zip, its Academy trying to get information about their clients.
No it's not. Ignorance of something doesn't make it so. I'm old also but at least I try to understand.

Academy uses that info to determine where to build future stores. It could actually benefit you if you have to drive a while to get to the Academy. Nothing nefarious going on with this info.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

cyphertext,

I think you have me confused with someone else...you keep banging about yelling, but if mentioning such makes you feel better, continue on old chap...

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 10

Post by cyphertext »

Abraham wrote:cyphertext,

I think you have me confused with someone else...you keep banging about yelling, but if mentioning such makes you feel better, continue on old chap...
You have been arguing in support of the OP, who raised his voice at the clerk in a "drill instructor like voice"... are you not in support of his actions? He raised his voice and made a scene, in which you applauded his actions...
Abraham wrote: TEX,

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Their obnoxious question is absolutely out of line.

If more customers acted like you did when asked such questions those particular questions would stop...

When it's really not that big a deal, sure, I'll go along to get along and keep quiet, but their is a line that when crossed I'll forcefully speak up. I'm glad you did.
Were these not your words?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"Academy uses that info to determine where to build future stores. It could actually benefit you if you have to drive a while to get to the Academy"

Yes, yes of course, we have an obligation to give out our personal information because, it may benefit me in the future. Yeah, yeah, why didn't I think of that? What an Epiphany!

Now, I have a bridge to sell you located in Brooklyn...

Something tells me certain loyalties with some lie with business rather than the individual.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

cyphertext,

The OP cleared that up.

He said he wasn't rude, but forceful.

There's a difference.

I think the vast majority of us on this forum aren't Casper Milquetoast's either. We aren't the meek.
We aren't not rude either.

There's a difference.

Standing up for yourself is too much for some, I get it...

Some of us simply won't tolerate being mistreated in any manner, shape or form. We won't simply over, but if you find doing so best suits you, ok...

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Abraham wrote:"Academy uses that info to determine where to build future stores. It could actually benefit you if you have to drive a while to get to the Academy"

Yes, yes of course, we have an obligation to give out our personal information because, it may benefit me in the future. Yeah, yeah, why didn't I think of that? What an Epiphany!

Now, I have a bridge to sell you located in Brooklyn...

Something tells me certain loyalties with some lie with business rather than the individual.
There is no "obligation" to give Academy your zip code. It's disengenuous to continue to conflate the two issues.

My loyalties lie with reasonableness. I also understand what effects government overreach causes through their massive bureaucracy. I, as an insurance agent, have to be on the lookout for "red flags" for money laundering, fraud, illegal immigration, drug dealing etc. If I do not take prudent steps, which involves asking certain questions, I can lose my license, which is my livelihood and face criminal penalties. That is a fact of life whether you understand or like it or not.

The question that was asked by the merchant services company was not near as intrusive as some want to make it out to be. Regardless, berating and yelling at a low wage clerk does more harm than good.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Abraham wrote:cyphertext,

The OP cleared that up.

He said he wasn't rude, but forceful.

There's a difference.

I think the vast majority of us on this forum aren't Casper Milquetoast's either. We aren't the meek.
We aren't not rude either.

There's a difference.

Standing up for yourself is too much for some, I get it...

Some of us simply won't tolerate being mistreated in any manner, shape or form. We won't simply over, but if you find doing so best suits you, ok...
The passive aggressive insults are uncalled for. Yelling and being forceful, where everyone within earshot stops what they are doing to listen, to someone that has no authority to change policy of their or another company is rude.

Teamless
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Teamless »

mojo84 wrote:
Teamless wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

No it's not. Ignorance of something doesn't make it so. I'm old also but at least I try to understand.

Academy uses that info to determine where to build future stores. It could actually benefit you if you have to drive a while to get to the Academy. Nothing nefarious going on with this info.
I didnt say Academy is doing anything nefarious.Just that they are using the CREDIT CARD TERMINAL for their own information.
Just answering your comment above about why is the credit card terminal asking the question.
If you agree that ACADEMY is using the CC terminal for their INTERNAL use, how can you even say DICKS did not use the CC Terminal for their own use, and it must be the CC Company?
You dont need to agree, but after many years in retail, I understand the systems pretty darn well.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”