Outragous - Dicks Sporting Goods

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TEX
Posts in topic: 2

Outragous - Dicks Sporting Goods

Post by TEX »

I am not normally big on calling for boycotts, protests, etc. I am pretty much the guy the who just votes with his wallet and keeps it to himself, but I thought what happened to me tonight might interest some of you. They recently built a Dicks Sporting Good in my neck of the woods and thought I would go check it out. Nice place. Set up nice, lots of choices, but prices are a tad high for my liking on some items. However they did have Remington 9mm ball ammo on sale for $10 a box of 50. Not a super deal, but not a bad deal either. Anyway, I figured I would pick up a couple of boxes and see how my Glock liked it. When I got to the counter and tried to pay for it, the electronic device you use to process you credit card and the like asked me to confirm that I was a United States citizen or an alien legally in the country. I am of course a US citizen – born and raised in the great State of Texas, but I was rather offended that they would ask me that question. I told the clerk that that was basically none of their business. I could possibly understand the question if I was purchasing a firearm, but that info all goes on the ATF form anyway. The clerk told me (hold back your laughter please) that it was a “Federal Law” that ammunition could only me sold to US citizen of alien nationals here legally. I had already had a very long day and it was at about this this point I started to feel my temperature rise. I guess it was then that I started speaking in a rather loud drill instructor type voice because I notice everyone at all of the other checkout counters stopped what they were doing to see what the ruckus was about. I told the young sales clerk that he was insane, misinformed or stupid and that there was no such law, I went on to ask him where the heck he thought he was – California? His eyes got kind of big and he keyed his phone to page a manager. The manager arrived and said they could not process the sale without me answering the question and that it was not Federal law, but Dick’s policy. I told him that if he could not bypass that question and process the sale, there would be no purchase now or of anything in the future. He fiddled with the register for several minutes and then stated that he didn’t think it was possible to do that. I told him I would simply go across the street and purchase my ammunition at Academy and they would not and never have asked me that stupid question. I noticed a lot of eyes on me as I walked out of the store. I am pretty sure I will never step foot in the store again. They can kiss my rosy red posterior. I then went to Academy, which was literally on the other side of I-10, and bought my ammunition. I bought half a case of Monarch brass that was on sale for less than the Remington at Dick’s. I now understand why that name is so very appropriate for the store. I don’t know DICKS would have done if I had indicted on the electronic devise that I was a citizen, but I bet they would have asked me for an ID to show I was over 21 for pistol ammunition. I am well over 60 years old and that would have really let them show their horse’s rear end.

Anyway I am not suggesting anyone boycott Dick’s, but I am pretty sure that is what any good American or Texan would do if they knew their policy. Personally I think they should pack up their fecal matter and go back to wherever they came from.
Soap box mode OFF
Have a blessed day.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

jollyman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Outragous - Dicks Sporting Goods

Post by jollyman »

Well done! :hurry:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." -- Thomas Jefferson

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 10

Post by cyphertext »

Meh... so they don't want to sell to illegals and they ask a question... answer it and go on with the purchase, or go someplace else. By berating some kid that works at a register, there certainly was a horse's rear end shown and it wasn't by Dick's.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Sounds like some good questions to me. Maybe we should ask them for every single purchase of every single item in these United States and have an ICE van on speed dial...
III

remanifest

Post by remanifest »

I agree that this is not a case to be taken up with the clerk - they're doing a job, and likely don't have a stance on the matter. Write to Dick's at the regional or national level and ask about the policy. You definitely could've handled that with a little more decorum.

I wouldn't have liked that, either; the difference is I would have laughed at the question, walked out of the store without answering or saying anything else, and then contacted the people who can actually provide insight. I'd be sure to share my opinion with those people (who are invested in the bottom line) that they're alienating me, my family, and a whole host of other people with that "policy" that's laughably easy to circumvent.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

We don't have a Dick's Sporting Goods here, but we have Academy and Gander Mountain. A few weeks ago, I bought a box of pistol ammo at Gander, and the middle-aged female cashier rang it up, then asked for I.D. to prove I was over 21. I politely smiled and said, "Look at my face. I'm 73 years old. Do you believe I'm over 21?" She paused, then smiled and said, I believe you're over 21." She said something else I don't remember which made us both laugh. She finished the process, and I left with a smile. Sometimes I think store policies should have an official waiver on the standard questions about age if it's obvious you're a senior citizen. Ha-ha!
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Liberty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Liberty »

It sounds to me that there was a lot of abuse of the clerk and manager who had nothing to do with implementing the policy. There is no excuse for being rude. The scene caused at the checkout made a bad impression of deplorable gun people. We are all ambassadors of our 2nd amendment.

What was to be gained by making a scene at the checkout?

Is it such a crime to ask if a customer is a legal alien? I wouldn't sell ammo to an illegal alien even if it iss legal.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mojo84
Posts in topic: 19

Post by mojo84 »

I do not believe we have a license to be rude just because we do not agree with store policies. I am a proud USA citizen and will tell anyone that asks.

It's interesting, we don't want illegal aliens here and when someone tries to abide by that principle, they get chastised over it. If someone asked me such a question, I would proudly proclaim "yes, I am an American citizen", pay for my ammo and go on about my business.

Why do some feel they are entitled to be so easily offended and have a license to be rude? Speaking of a blessed day, no one that received or witnessed the tongue lashing had a blessed day at Rock's that day. Nothing to be proud and brag about in this encounter.

Has anyone considered this is probably the results of Obama's Operation Choke Point and not store policy. On the transaction is transferred to the credit card reader, that is the merchant services company asking that question. Maybe your ire should be directed at the merchant services company or the Obama administration instead.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2014082 ... n-industry
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra

Post by jmra »

:iagree:
I believe we should all be ambassadors for the cause. IMHO, verbally abusing "the help" serves only to alienate and reinforce people's preconceived notions about "those crazy gun people".
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

jmra wrote::iagree:
I believe we should all be ambassadors for the cause. IMHO, verbally abusing "the help" serves only to alienate and reinforce people's preconceived notions about "those crazy gun people".

Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Lena

Post by Lena »

Their store their rules, don't like don't go, it would have not bothered me in the least. I learned along time ago anything having to do with firearms is best kept calm from a lifetime of LE and just living with them.
Admire your stance disagree with the ways done.
Stay Safe

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

mbschne

Post by mbschne »

Smokey613 wrote:
jmra wrote::iagree:

K5CLC

Post by K5CLC »

Best advice I have is stay away from the mega chains, buy from smaller companies that really need the sale. Even if its a $1 more, i'd rather avoid the corporate monsters and help small business. The same reason i've purchased my last two pistols from a local gun store and not Academy. They care more about what you are getting and will tell you.
The Intelligent Response is a Brave Response : http://tinyurl.com/BraveResponse

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”