Sales tax on personal sales at gun shows

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sales tax on personal sales at gun shows

Post by twomillenium »

What firearm are you selling, how much and location.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Looking at https://www.comptroller.texas.gov/taxes ... permit.php

If Joe Blow decides he has too many Glocks and brings 3 of them to the gunshow to try to sell to a vendor or attendee, he does not appear to me to be 'engaged in business' as defined in the above. Even if he rents a table at the show and puts all the odds and ends he has and doesn't use up for sale, it still doesn't appear to me that he's 'in business'.

Now if he does it EVERY WEEKEND, like some 'garage sales', then it gets to be a gray area.....

I'm also reminded of a conversation a CPA friend of mine had with an IRS rep. back in the '90's. The CPA was also a computer hobbyist and had dedicated gear set up to bring in forum/echo/netmail traffic for FidoNet, WWIVnet, and several others I don't recall the names of. Those local BBS's that connected to his feed paid a monthly fee for the service. I probably covered his telecom costs, but not equipment costs or the amount of time he spent administering it all. I'm not sure if he was trying to deduct the equipment costs as a business expense, or what, but the IRS rep. told him "Mr. Jones, any pursuit at which you lose money for three years straight, is not a business. It's a HOBBY".

Of the few firearms that I've sold over the years, I can count the ones I made a profit on, on one hand with fingers left over....

Nope, not 'engaged in business'...........
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

mayor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mayor »

So, if I have a business and use proceeds from that business to purchase equipment, write that equipment off in accordance with IRS regulations, and it takes me more than 3 years to turn a profit, it is a hobby? The regulations are IRS regulations, not mine. Seems to me that I can lose money 'til the cows come home, as long as I follow their rules.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Moderators please move this thread to the appropriate area. This should not be in the Firearms sales thread.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Zombified

Post by Zombified »

In Texas there is also a "Use" tax.

Anyone who buys taxable goods and services that are stored, used or consumed in Texas from a seller who does not charge Texas sales tax owes Texas use tax.

https://www.comptroller.texas.gov/taxes ... se-tax.php

So all you tax evaders must start filling your use tax forms. As of today you're 9 days late!

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I've never bought or sold a gun at a gun show. I have "traded" a few. :rolll
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

RossA wrote:I've never bought or sold a gun at a gun show. I have "traded" a few. :rolll
Barter transactions subject to sales tax too... :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

mayor

Post by mayor »

Zombified wrote:In Texas there is also a "Use" tax.

Anyone who buys taxable goods and services that are stored, used or consumed in Texas from a seller who does not charge Texas sales tax owes Texas use tax.

So all you tax evaders must start filling your use tax forms. As of today you're 9 days late!
:smilelol5:

I've read that before. unenforceable laws are unenforceable and that one is stupid, to boot.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

mayor wrote:

I've read that before. unenforceable laws are unenforceable and that one is stupid, to boot.
Taxes are taxes. Refusing to pay the use tax is like making an oil filter suppressor or putting a pistol upper on an AR rifle lower, without doing the paperwork and paying the tax.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

mayor wrote:

It is enforceable. Maybe not in the context here but I worked for a company that bout some things from out of state and was not charged tax. While undergoing a sales tax audit we had to pay use tax on those invoices.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

jerry_r60 wrote:
mayor wrote:

It is enforceable. Maybe not in the context here but I worked for a company that bout some things from out of state and was not charged tax. While undergoing a sales tax audit we had to pay use tax on those invoices.
There are approximately 14,971,000 Texans over the age of 18. How many of those you think bought something online last year and didn't pay Texas sales tax on the transaction? It would take a massive amount of manpower to audit every one of those Texans.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

If Texas enforced such a use tax, then every used frying pan sold at any garage sale would be subject to such a tax. Good luck with that, tax man.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

bblhd672 wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote:
mayor wrote:

There are approximately 14,971,000 Texans over the age of 18. How many of those you think bought something online last year and didn't pay Texas sales tax on the transaction? It would take a massive amount of manpower to audit every one of those Texans.
That's what I mean by "maybe not in the context here". The tax law itself has been enforced but I've only personally seen it enforced on businesses.

I agree that doing so on individuals is not practical for the state.

flechero

Post by flechero »

superchief wrote:"Everybody who came in with more than one gun was asked if they were planning to sell them," ...

R.J. DeSilva with the comptroller's office said individuals or businesses are required to get a sales tax permit if they sell any "tangible personal property" - specifically more than two items a year regardless of value.
No sir, my intent is to use them as trade fodder, if i happen to find that unicorn I've been hunting. OR heck no, this is the only place I can show them off!

Will that be all? Thanks and have a nice day.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”