ACOG
58%

Total votes: 12

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Conundrum? M1A or ACOG

Post by C-dub »

Now what? It looks like I've just been itching to spend some money. I never thought I'd want an M1A until I put my hands on one recently. However, yesterday at work I remembered I've been seriously considering an ACOG. Being roughly in the same price range I think the ACOG will get more use and overall will end up costing me less in the long run since I don't have to buy any ammo specifically for it because it will go on my M4 that I already requires regular feedings.

The next question is which one. I've had the TA31RCO-M4CP saved in my favorites for a little while, but after searching through some threads I noticed that the TA31F is not much different. In fact, I'm not really sure what the difference is other than maybe the M4CP is designed specifically for the shorter M4 and the TA31F is a bit more generic for anything shooting the .223 round.

I know I'm leaning towards the ACOG, but polls are always fun. So, tell me your thoughts on why you choose one over the other and which variant of either that you have or want and why. Both of the above ACOG models are 4x. If there is an argument for a lower powered model go ahead and make it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Re: Conundrum? M1A or ACOG

Post by C-dub »

george wrote:Apologize for speaking, because I own neither. But, wouldn't the ACOG require a trip home every 7 - 10 years to replace the tritium vials?

Long term, the value of the M1A will increase, while the ACOG will decrease.
IIRC, the 7-10 years is the half-life of the tritium and might be about half as bright as when new. I have had tritium products for about 14 years now and notice that they might be duller, but still work very well.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RossA »

Yep, the M1A will be shooting in your grandchildren's hands.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

What is on the M4 now?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

I have the ACOG TA31H - it is the Horseshoe rather than the Chevron
Everyone comments how great it is to use.

C-Dub, it appears that the only real difference is you get the Killflash with the RCO model
Not sure how super tacticool you need to be, but it is an option. :lol:

The ACOG makes it a point and click interface, stupid fast acquisition, and no batteries!

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Marshal wrote:I have the ACOG TA31H - it is the Horseshoe rather than the Chevron

C-Dub, it appears that the only real difference is you get the Killflash with the RCO model

The ACOG makes it a point and click interface, stupid fast acquisition, and no batteries!
I'm really loving the "no-battery" idea and is one of the main reasons I'm considering going to an ACOG. That and always being on are the two HUGE reasons. I'm in no rush and still remember your offer to try yours out if we can get our schedules synced up and meet.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

C-dub wrote:
The Marshal wrote:I have the ACOG TA31H - it is the Horseshoe rather than the Chevron

I'm really loving the "no-battery" idea and is one of the main reasons I'm considering going to an ACOG. That and always being on are the two HUGE reasons. I'm in no rush and still remember your offer to try yours out if we can get our schedules synced up and meet.
Count me in for that, I have the ACOG with Chevron reticle on POF .308 SBR
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Bitter Clinger wrote:What is on the M4 now?
An EoTech EXPS2.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

C-dub wrote:
An EoTech EXPS2.
I have that also. You could consider just simply placing the swingout 3X maginifier in front of it:
http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-we ... -magnifier

I can bring that also when "The Marshall" hosts us for range day :biggrinjester:
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
C-dub wrote:
An EoTech EXPS2.
I have that also. You could consider just simply placing the swingout 3X maginifier in front of it:
http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-we ... -magnifier

I can bring that also when "The Marshall" hosts us for range day :biggrinjester:
Tried that. My BIL has it and I'm not a fan.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'd go with the ACOG. As far as the tritium lifespan, https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/warranty.php:
ACOG® Crossbow Scope, ACOG®, MGRS MAG®, Reflex, RMR® (Dual-Illuminated Version), AccuPoint®:

The tritium lamp is warranted to glow for fifteen (15) years in fiber optic scopes and ten (10) years in non-fiber optic scopes from date of original manufacture.
And.....

....an actual warranty experience: https://www.full30.com/video/465fcd0a3e ... 6782c15dda. His was a non fiberoptic model, warrantied for 10 years, and it lasted 13.5 years. Here's a copy of his invoice:

Also, and I can't find a direct reference on the Trijicon site, but there are plenty of them around the web, in which you an send an out-of-warranty ACOG back to Trijicon for a full refurbishment, including new turrets, new glass, new tritium elements, new fiberoptic .....pretty much everything except the tube gets completely replaced....... and the cost is somewhere in the $500 - $600 range.

So, you pay whatever you pay - let's say in the $1300-$1400 range for your ACOG, use it for 15 years, send it in for a refurb, and then you get back an essentially new scope for a little more than 1/3 of the NIB price. The guy in the above-linked video was charged $188, for which he got the windage turret replaced, new Tritium, and a replaced eyepiece. That sounds like a fair amount of value for $188.

I don't have to, but if I did have to reduce my optics to just one option for my ARs, I'd pick the TA31F 4x32 BAC ACOG. It's more rugged than any other scope I have. Trijicon's glass quality is absolutely top notch. It uses no batteries, yet it is illuminated as brightly as I need it to be under any and all circumstances. A piece of electrical tape on the fiberoptic allows you to adjust the illumination levels. In fact, in unshaded bright sunlight, the fiberoptic illumination is almost too bright. In pitch black, the tritium glows quite brightly. AND, like all ACOGS, there is an etched reticle on the glass which, should both the tritium and the fiberoptic go down, still allows you to shoot with a plain black reticle. Even with dead tritium lamps, as long as there is enough ambient light, you'll have a nicely glowing reticle. And with the Bindon Aiming Concept (the "BAC" in the name of the scope), it works well from CQB out to 600 yards. It's about the perfect all around AR scope.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”