Removing Flash Hider and Installing A Suppressor

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

growlerVII
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Removing Flash Hider and Installing A Suppressor

Post by growlerVII »

Abraham wrote:SigM4,

I've watched a few utube videos with the flash hider being removed off an AR with a 3/4" wrench with the rifle barrel firmly but carefully situated in a vise.

Seemed pretty simple and no specialty tools required.

Why would a muzzle brake be different?

Mind you, I'm not debating, just seeking greater information.

Thanks!
Yep. Most birdcage flash hers are 3/4". 8th your barrel was made by anyone worth their salt then the 1/2-28 threads will be fine. However. .......you'll need to check your can periodically to 8th urethane that it's not backing off. I like the left hand threads because it's one less thing to worry about. Or you could try the tri-lug adapters out there.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Removing Flash Hider and Installing A Suppressor

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SigM4 wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:
Oh! So you can get a SBR barrel and a supressor and have a smith tack it on to be 16 in. Thats a great idea!
Absolutely. I've thought about building a dedicated HD rifle in 5.56 with about a 8.5-9" barrel and a lower end can (such as a Radical Firearms) pinned and welded onto it just to avoid the tax stamp issue, especially if the HPA passes.
Maybe, maybe not. Some suppressor manufacturers - AAC, for instance - will not warranty their suppressors for barrels of less than 10". Warranty or not, my son's Form 1 can will not withstand the pressures of the 7" SBR in 5.56 he just recently built......per SD Tactical, from whom he bought the parts. In the meantime, the can performs beautifully on all of his other ARs, his M1A, and his Savage .308 bolt rifle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”