1911: Using same extractor for 38 SuperComp and 9mm?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

1911: Using same extractor for 38 SuperComp and 9mm?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have two 1911s that have had Briley barrels fitted in 38 Super and 9mm. Each barrel/caliber has its own extractor for reliability. I've considered buying Starline 38 SuperComp rimless brass to see if I can use the 9mm extractor for other calibers. The difference in the rims of 9mm and 38 SuperComp is on the order of .006 so I think it should work. Has anyone tried this?

Some may wonder why I would change brass just to avoid changing an extractor. The answer is one part experiment/curiosity and one part practical application. I want to practice and shoot IDPA matches with the 9mm barrel, then put the 38 Super barrel in for self-defense if I decide to carry one of my Supers. Changing an extractor isn't hard by any means, but if I can remove one step in the process, I will. I can change a 1911 barrel in seconds.

Chas.

txsmiley kf5wre
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1911: Using same extractor for 38 SuperComp and 9mm?

Post by txsmiley kf5wre »

Yes it will work...BUT you may need to retune the extractor..or use 2 slides. 73

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

txsmiley kf5wre wrote:Yes it will work...BUT you may need to retune the extractor..or use 2 slides. 73
Thanks.
Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

AndyC wrote:Heck, try it out. I'd install one extractor, fire a couple hundred rounds each of 9mm and 38 through it - then do the same with the other extractor.
I'm going to do that. I just talked to Hunter at Starline and he said the rims on 9mm and 38 SuperComp are identical. He also confirmed that 38 SuperComp is a straight wall case, as is 38 Super. There won't be any issues with hot 38 Super loads from a "loose" chamber aspect. There's a lot of inaccurate information on the web about 38 SuperComp being a tapered case like the 9mm SuperComp. Maybe I need to play with 9mm SuperComp a bit to see what I can get out of them in my CZs. (I'm reverting back to my younger years when I foolishly tried to squeeze every last foot-per-second velocity out of every cartridge I loaded!).

Chas.

EDITED: Ignore the comment about 9mm SuperComp. Apparently I misunderstood Hunter's comments. 9mm SuperComp is still 9X23 brass, although the headstamp is now "9X23."

Sidro
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Sidro »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
AndyC wrote:Heck, try it out. I'd install one extractor, fire a couple hundred rounds each of 9mm and 38 through it - then do the same with the other extractor.
I'm going to do that. I just talked to Hunter at Starline and he said the rims on 9mm and 38 SuperComp are identical. He also confirmed that 38 SuperComp is a straight wall case, as is 38 Super. There won't be any issues with hot 38 Super loads from a "loose" chamber aspect. There's a lot of inaccurate information on the web about 38 SuperComp being a tapered case like the 9mm SuperComp. Maybe I need to play with 9mm SuperComp a bit to see what I can get out of them in my CZs. (I'm reverting back to my younger years when I foolishly tried to squeeze every last foot-per-second velocity out of every cartridge I loaded!).

Chas.

EDITED: Ignore the comment about 9mm SuperComp. Apparently I misunderstood Hunter's comments. 9mm SuperComp is still 9X23 brass, although the headstamp is now "9X23."
Just remember them faster bullets really just let you know you have missed quicker than the slower ones.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”