Anyone know where Hornady presses are made?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone know where Hornady presses are made?

Post by G.A. Heath »

AndyC wrote:It's a tough call - I ultimately went with the AP a few years ago and have only added the case-feeder because I only load .45 acp on it using lead bullets.
I have always been nervous about the idea of a case feeder, mostly because I am afraid that vibrations from the motor might affect the powder thrower causing it to become inconsistent. Have you noticed any issues to that effect?
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by warnmar10 »

G.A. Heath wrote:I have always been nervous about the idea of a case feeder, mostly because I am afraid that vibrations from the motor might affect the powder thrower causing it to become inconsistent. Have you noticed any issues to that effect?
None whatsoever.

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mupepe »

cbunt1 wrote:I think the ~$600 for a 650 is the bare press. You'll still need dies and a case feeder.

One thing to note: The Hornady works quite well without the case feeder, I consider it an add-on, and a nice touch, but the press is designed to operate without the case feeder.

The Dillon 650 is NOT designed to run without a case feeder. It will run without one, and a friend of mine ran one for 2+ years without a case feeder...but I can assure you that's not how it's designed to run, and it's not especially friendly to operating without the feeder.

I consider a Dillon 650 without a case feeder to be an incomplete machine, so do yourself a favor and factor in the cost of a case feeder at minimum.

It's a matter of personal preference as to which is a "better" machine...there are things I like better about each machine, so everything is a trade-off.

They're both excellent machines.
I appreciate this. If you don't mind, could you list your pros and cons for each machine? And yes, you're correct. The $600 is the bare press although it comes with one shell holder plate for the caliber of your choice.

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cbunt1 »

mupepe wrote:
cbunt1 wrote:I think the ~$600 for a 650 is the bare press. You'll still need dies and a case feeder.

One thing to note: The Hornady works quite well without the case feeder, I consider it an add-on, and a nice touch, but the press is designed to operate without the case feeder.

The Dillon 650 is NOT designed to run without a case feeder. It will run without one, and a friend of mine ran one for 2+ years without a case feeder...but I can assure you that's not how it's designed to run, and it's not especially friendly to operating without the feeder.

I consider a Dillon 650 without a case feeder to be an incomplete machine, so do yourself a favor and factor in the cost of a case feeder at minimum.

It's a matter of personal preference as to which is a "better" machine...there are things I like better about each machine, so everything is a trade-off.

They're both excellent machines.
I appreciate this. If you don't mind, could you list your pros and cons for each machine? And yes, you're correct. The $600 is the bare press although it comes with one shell holder plate for the caliber of your choice.
I can try :)

First let me say that a Hornady AP IMO is more closely compared to Dillon 550 rather than a 650, due to the fact that it's designed to run without a case feeder, while the D-650 is designed to run WITH a case feeder...different animals. In practice, the way most of us use them, the AP represents a "step between" the 550 and the 650 in the Dillon line.

For full disclosure, I've never owned a Hornady LnL, but I've used a friend's unit. I've owned a Lee Loadmaster and a D-650, and have used a friend's D-1050.

Hornady Pros:
-- Smoother indexing machine (1/2 step on each half-cycle of the handle)
-- Primer management system is a little easier to clean up when it stops
-- Less expense associated with "easy" caliber changes

Hornady Cons:
-- The primer mechanism is a little more prone to stoppage than the Dillon, until you get it all lined out and broken in.
-- A little more opportunity for error/misalignment on caliber changes.

Dillon pros:
-- The "system" approach and toolheads with individual powder measures make caliber switch simpler, even if slower.
-- Lifetime warranty
-- A whole world of accessories and minor improvements available

Dillon cons:
-- Upfront cost. Undeniably the most expensive unit. The way it's marketed is somewhat misleading; a 650 as it should be is an additional $3-400 over the marked price.
-- The indexing system is prone to powder spillage; this can be helped with some simple modifications and adding a bearing.
-- On the rare occasion that it's truly out of alignment, it is a hassle to pull back in spec.
-- Accessory cost. As much as I like the Dillon's gear, I have to admit that you can buy better, but you can't pay more.

I can (and have) written entire articles about presses, press usage, and so on. It's worth noting that the Dillon APPEARS to be more expensive on caliber changes, but it doesn't HAVE to be -- one can change dies on a single Dillon toolhead just like on any other press. As such, when I talk about being more expensive (or less hassle) I have to qualify everything by saying "when used as designed."

At the risk of further confusing the discussion, IMO the Hornady is a better MACHINE, but the Dillon is a better SYSTEM. That said, the Dillon works best as a SYSTEM. It'll work with any dies, for example, but IME it works better with Dillon dies...

I'm sure I can think of more as I process it, but that's some high-level thoughts.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

Thank you! The case feeder with the AP is about $740 even at the sale price. That's only about $50 off from the Dillon with the case feeder. Seeing as how I view this as a long term investment I think the lifetime warranty is worth that. I also plan on reloading rifle and handgun in large amounts so the extra few bucks to have a case feeder that can do both also seems worth it. All of this is because I do plan on going with the case feeder (and eventually the bullet feeder). That lifetime warranty is honestly what keeps drawing me back the most though. I've been loafing with a lee classic hand press for 7 or 8 years so at this point anything would be a welcomed upgrade haha

I appreciate your in depth response! It was very helpful

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

mupepe wrote:Thank you! The case feeder with the AP is about $740 even at the sale price. That's only about $50 off from the Dillon with the case feeder. Seeing as how I view this as a long term investment I think the lifetime warranty is worth that. I also plan on reloading rifle and handgun in large amounts so the extra few bucks to have a case feeder that can do both also seems worth it. All of this is because I do plan on going with the case feeder (and eventually the bullet feeder). That lifetime warranty is honestly what keeps drawing me back the most though. I've been loafing with a lee classic hand press for 7 or 8 years so at this point anything would be a welcomed upgrade haha

I appreciate your in depth response! It was very helpful
I'm not sure how this relates to the installation of a case feeder since I've never operated a Hornady with a case feeder...BUT

I've looked at the case feeder sold for both machines. They are exactly the same. Identical. Parts interchangeable on the bin and collators. Sourced from the same vendor and moulded in the color of the OEM's choice.

Of course, the pole and the feeding attachment at the press-end is unique to each machine, but I've known folks to buy the collator plates for Hornady case feeders to use on Dillon machines because they were available locally instead of having to mail-order.

Point being, I'm pretty sure you can load rifle cases through a case feeder on the Hornady machine. I KNOW you can on the Dillon machine.

BTW, I put a bullet feeder on my 650. While I won't say I regret it (I don't), I would say that it was a cool gadget that I wouldn't bother with were I to set up a second machine -- it simply isn't worth the hassle for a manual press. I spend more time changing over and dialing in the bullet feeder between calibers and runs than I do the rest of the press.

I'm sure I'm not really helping the decision LOL.

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

Haha you definitely are. I'm going to look into installing the case feeder for the Dillon onto the Hornady. I hadn't read about that in my googling.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

mupepe wrote:Haha you definitely are. I'm going to look into installing the case feeder for the Dillon onto the Hornady. I hadn't read about that in my googling.
The top portions (collator and funnel) are identical, just different colors. Mechanism at the press end, and such, I don't have a clue. I know for a fact the plates in the collator will interchange.

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

Just following back around on this. I did end up going with the Dillon. I also built a new workbench for it. I built the workbench last Friday, started to mount the press but I was missing the accessory box so I couldn't finish. I got the accessory box in the mail yesterday and finished it up.

I had 3 copper plated bullets so I completed 3 .45 ACP cartridges on the press. That took about 45 seconds. That alone is quite amazing compared to how it used to go on my Lee single stage hand press. I'm happy!

I'm picking up 500 Rainier CRN bullets tonight so I'll truly see how long it takes to get through those tonight.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”