Gunsmith in DFW area?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 8

Gunsmith in DFW area?

Post by Beiruty »

I am seeking a qualified gunsmith to work on Browning HP P-35 (1951). I shot it for the first time and I am getting a consistent FTE with Reloads Ammo as well as Facotry Ammo. My best guess the extractor is sliding off the casse rim and the case is half way in the chamber. The Slide goes back forward and trying to push a new round resulting in a jam.
The extractor is of the type hidden in the slide
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Gunsmith in DFW area?

Post by puma guy »

Beiruty wrote:I am seeking a qualified gunsmith to work on Browning HP P-35 (1951). I shot it for the first time and I am getting a consistent FTE with Reloads Ammo as well as Facotry Ammo. My best guess the extractor is sliding off the casse rim and the case is half way in the chamber. The Slide goes back forward and trying to push a new round resulting in a jam.
Beiruty,
Does it have good tension on it? With the slide open you can use a small screw driver and a piece of leather to protect the slide and through the ejection port pry gently. It should be pretty stiff. Also check to see if it protrudes past the case head recess.

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I will check it out.
Beiruty,

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flowrie »

Check out
www.bhspringsolutions.com
Click Knowledge base, then My Hi Power Malfunctioned

Good info there!
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Beiruty wrote:I am seeking a qualified gunsmith to work on Browning HP P-35 (1951). I shot it for the first time and I am getting a consistent FTE with Reloads Ammo as well as Facotry Ammo. My best guess the extractor is sliding off the casse rim and the case is half way in the chamber. The Slide goes back forward and trying to push a new round resulting in a jam.
I don't know if he is still there but there was a nice little shop in Carrollton named Doc's. Off of Whitlock within sight of 35. In between Whitlock and the back of Home Depot.

Topic author
Beiruty

beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I cleaned the pistol quickly and inspected the extractor. There is good tension and ejecting a dummy Rd or unfired round was successful. When the round was shot at the range, it would expand a bit and the extractor failed to work.
I sprayed a good bit of oil between the extractor and the case and down the extractor channel. Maybe there was some gunk clogged there blocking the extractor from moving in the direction of the case rim to grab it.

Here are some photos
Beiruty,

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

Winchester Gallery in Fort Worth.

puma guy

Re: beiruty

Post by puma guy »

Beiruty wrote:I cleaned the pistol quickly and inspected the extractor. There is good tension and ejecting a dummy Rd or unfired round was successful. When the round was shot at the range, it would expand a bit and the extractor failed to work.
I sprayed a good bit of oil between the extractor and the case and down the extractor channel. Maybe there was some gunk clogged there blocking the extractor from moving in the direction of the case rim to grab it.
:lol: My first thought was it might be gummed up and I even started my post with a suggestion to clean it and knowing you I deleted it and wrote about checking the tension and position. Hope cleaning it does the trick.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Yeah, spraying oil down there might not be enough for 66 yrs old gentleman's pistol, ah... I meant a warrior's pistol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I may have to look into learning how to disassemble the slide to the bare bones. :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Beiruty wrote:Yeah, spraying oil down there might not be enough for 66 yrs old gentleman's pistol, ah... I meant a warrior's pistol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I may have to look into learning how to disassemble the slide to the bare bones. :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

And, there is a good reason why Browning moved away from the tiny winy extractor to the that big hot rod exterior extractor. "rlol"
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

This guy has similar issue with the extractor as mine. His pistol has SN in 60,00s min is in 52,000s.
He is showing a full disassembly on video.

The tear down of the slide is super easy. :biggrinjester:

Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The slide was disassembled and it was cleaned including its parts in less than 15 mins. The claw of the extractor is still there. but it is super short. Maybe like 1-2mm max. It can hook under my finger, that is given. It can extractor unfired round, good enough. Now let us see if it can extractor a fired case under a full power recoil after it is has been deeply cleaned.

Don't you love the power of Youtube? Become a gunsmith in 20 min or less, instructions are also for FREE. :hurry:
Beiruty,

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Beiruty wrote:The slide was disassembled and it was cleaned including its parts in less than 15 mins. The claw of the extractor is still there. but it is super short. Maybe like 1-2mm max. It can hook under my finger, that is given. It can extractor unfired round, good enough. Now let us see if it can extractor a fired case under a full power recoil after it is has been deeply cleaned.

Don't you love the power of Youtube? Become a gunsmith in 20 min or less, instructions are also for FREE. :hurry:

I don't think gunsmith is all that's available, You can also become a doctor, lawyer, auto mechanic, hairdresser, electrician, and a you don't even have to stay in a Holiday Inn Express!! :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jusme wrote:
Beiruty wrote:The slide was disassembled and it was cleaned including its parts in less than 15 mins. The claw of the extractor is still there. but it is super short. Maybe like 1-2mm max. It can hook under my finger, that is given. It can extractor unfired round, good enough. Now let us see if it can extractor a fired case under a full power recoil after it is has been deeply cleaned.

I don't think gunsmith is all that's available, You can also become a doctor, lawyer, auto mechanic, hairdresser, electrician, and a you don't even have to stay in a Holiday Inn Express!! :biggrinjester:
Stay away from the DIY vasectomy videos! :biggrinjester:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Beiruty wrote:Yeah, spraying oil down there might not be enough for 66 yrs old gentleman's pistol, ah... I meant a warrior's pistol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Probably had lots of WD-40 sprayed on it. It was the do all lube of the the late 50's, 60's and 70's. It builds up terribly and gets very gummy. I hope your cleaning job does the trick.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”