60 minutes

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 60 minutes

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:They're still flogging this dead chestnut? :roll: Must be a slow news day. Maybe they're worn out by trying to take down Trump and failing.
:deadhorse:
Jusme wrote:I didn't see the 60 minute piece, I haven't watched 60 minutes in years, so I can't comment on anything they aired. I do believe that there is still a contingent out there, who looks for anything to demonstrate how "dangerous" guns are. I mean, just think, if the family was sitting around the dinner table, and dad got his model 70 out and without touching the trigger killed a child eating his mashed potatoes. :shock: :shock: If they can show how deadly non-military looking, bolt action hunting rifles are, they can then make the leap that a semi auto "assault weapons of war" would suddenly go full auto mode while riding in a car, and kill hundreds of people.

If there were/are issues with the trigger/safety, on model 70s they should have gotten them fixed by now. If not then it needs to be addressed with recalls, or reimbursements. All of the incidents, that have been listed here, involved guns which were pointed in a safe direction (with the possible exception of the Suburban) Which is one the most basic firearms handling rules. JMHO
It's just that this "story" is maybe 5 or 6 years old by now......and it keeps cropping up at regular intervals. They keep trotting out the same "witnesses". BTW, it's Remington's 700, not Winchester's 70

:oops:

Got to reading too fast or typing too fast and then just stayed with my thought flow, I guess. Or maybe it was the awesome model 70 Stainless, 30.06 I saw at a pawn shop Saturday, that almost followed me home. (I can still hear it whimpering, so I may see if it is still there later this week and give it a forever home.) :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Remington Recalls Yet Another Batch of Rifles With Faulty Triggers
Just when you think you’ve seen the last of Remington’s recalls, they surprise ya.

After decades of denial and quietly settling lawsuits resulting from faulty “Walker” triggers on their Model 700 rifles, Remington finally caved to immense pressure placed upon them by the father of child victim Gus Barber, and began using a different sort of trigger on their Model 700 and Model Seven bolt-action rifles: The X-Mark Pro, or XMP.

And now they’re recalling many of THOSE rifles, because they may have “excess bonding agent used in the assembly process, which could cause an unintentional discharge.”
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

I guess I am just dumb. When I was taught to fire a weapon the first rule is treat every weapon as it is loaded. Never have the barrel pointed in any direction where it can cause any type of harm or death. How can they hold the builder liable for there own negligence?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

lildave40 wrote:I guess I am just dumb. When I was taught to fire a weapon the first rule is treat every weapon as it is loaded. Never have the barrel pointed in any direction where it can cause any type of harm or death. How can they hold the builder liable for there own negligence?
All my guns are loaded. As far as I am concerned they are useless for self defense unless they are loaded. As long as they are in my home and if they went off without me pulling a trigger they wouldn't be likely to actually kill some one. That isn't to say that there would be no damage. It would be just about impossible for any of my guns to go off without damaging my house and property and very likely that there would be hearing damage.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

lildave40 wrote:I guess I am just dumb. When I was taught to fire a weapon the first rule is treat every weapon as it is loaded. Never have the barrel pointed in any direction where it can cause any type of harm or death. How can they hold the builder liable for there own negligence?
If the builder builds a defective product and someone is hurt because of that product who is at fault, you or the builder? If you pull the trigger and the gun explodes because of a defect in the barrel who is at fault? If you step on the brakes in your car and they don't work because of a defect in the brakes is that your fault? If you drive a GM car and there is a defect in the key mechanism and you crash and die (as did over 100 people) is that your fault or GM's? This is known as product liability and no matter how much you do everything right if the product doesn't work as it is supposed to because the manufacturer has messed up than the manufacturer is liable for damages. There is no question that Remington has had trigger problems with this rifle for years and just because you do everything right doesn't mean that the rifle is safe to use. Remington will fix this problem I am sure. Or else they will be owned by lawyers.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/popular-rem ... y-defects/

Link to the 60 Minutes episode shown above. If you're familiar with the history of the issue, probably not much new to see there. If you don't know much about the issue, this is actually a decent overview, IMHO.

Note, of course, this episode is framed around an incident where a teenager "accidentally" shot his brother. So expect the required amount of breathless angst from the correspondent doing the story (Leslie Stahl, IIRC).

The episode does show some video submitted by owners of the failure actually occurring. And I did see one internal Remington document shown that acknowledged that they were able to duplicate the failure in some instances.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Is this a 'new' video about the Remington's 700 ? Or the same old 60 minutes episode ? Because I feel like the response video debunked 60 Minutes video was done quite effectively. So far, no one has brought forth a Remington 700 that is still factory settings (unmodified) that goes off by any means other then safety off/trigger pulled when brought in for testing. If 60 Minutes has new evidence I'd like to see it, but otherwise that episode shouldn't be still being aired, it was hit piece with half truths and mis-information.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Pariah3j wrote:Is this a 'new' video about the Remington's 700 ? Or the same old 60 minutes episode ? Because I feel like the response video debunked 60 Minutes video was done quite effectively. So far, no one has brought forth a Remington 700 that is still factory settings (unmodified) that goes off by any means other then safety off/trigger pulled when brought in for testing. If 60 Minutes has new evidence I'd like to see it, but otherwise that episode shouldn't be still being aired, it was hit piece with half truths and mis-information.
Ahh ok I went back and re-read the first few posts, I missed the link to the video and went ahead and watched it- just a new hit piece with just enough fact they can't be sued this time. The X Mark triggers I knew had been recalled, didn't know so little of them had actually been done/replaced. I will say that is a true tragedy waiting to happen.

Apparently it was CNBC that aired it originally - for some reason I was thinking 60 Minutes was the one that did the hit piece before. My bad.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

Pariah3j wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:Is this a 'new' video about the Remington's 700 ? Or the same old 60 minutes episode ? Because I feel like the response video debunked 60 Minutes video was done quite effectively. So far, no one has brought forth a Remington 700 that is still factory settings (unmodified) that goes off by any means other then safety off/trigger pulled when brought in for testing. If 60 Minutes has new evidence I'd like to see it, but otherwise that episode shouldn't be still being aired, it was hit piece with half truths and mis-information.
Ahh ok I went back and re-read the first few posts, I missed the link to the video and went ahead and watched it- just a new hit piece with just enough fact they can't be sued this time. The X Mark triggers I knew had been recalled, didn't know so little of them had actually been done/replaced. I will say that is a true tragedy waiting to happen.

Apparently it was CNBC that aired it originally - for some reason I was thinking 60 Minutes was the one that did the hit piece before. My bad.
The video above was made in 2010. Since then Remington has recalled all rifles made between May 1, 2006-April 9, 2014.
http://xmprecall.remington.com/

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”