What type of Ammo do you load in your Home Defense AR

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
omegaman
Posts in topic: 1

What type of Ammo do you load in your Home Defense AR

Post by omegaman »

I keep a loaded (40-round magazine) AR-15 handy for home defense, along with a few loaded handguns hidden in strategic places in my home. I do not keep a round chambered in any of my guns except my EDC. All of my handguns are loaded with hollow point rounds (the good stuff). My question to you guys is...do you keep FMJ or hollow point ammo in your AR? Just curious.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Re: What type of Ammo do you load in your Home Defense AR

Post by C-dub »

HP, but I don't remember which brand or grain.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cyphertext »

Hollow point

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I mix em up. keep 7 mags full of defencive ammo/ Some is Hornady Self Defence . Some is Federal XST and I have about 40 rounds of Hornady Zombie killers in the mix. I don't remember what the other rounds are. All is 124 grain None is P+ I use only reputable common brands, but don't have a favorite, cause I don't know enough to pick a favorite.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Liberty wrote:I mix em up. keep 7 mags full of defencive ammo/ Some is Hornady Self Defence . Some is Federal XST and I have about 40 rounds of Hornady Zombie killers in the mix. I don't remember what the other rounds are. All is 124 grain None is P+ I use only reputable common brands, but don't have a favorite, cause I don't know enough to pick a favorite.
I don't think you read the full question. Home defense AR.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

C-dub wrote:
Liberty wrote:I mix em up. keep 7 mags full of defencive ammo/ Some is Hornady Self Defence . Some is Federal XST and I have about 40 rounds of Hornady Zombie killers in the mix. I don't remember what the other rounds are. All is 124 grain None is P+ I use only reputable common brands, but don't have a favorite, cause I don't know enough to pick a favorite.
I don't think you read the full question. Home defense AR.

There are currently two threads running regarding EDC ammo. One is for AR the other for EDC handgun. I got confused at first myself, but I haven't finished my coffee yet. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Maybe his AR is not chambered in 5.56mm... it is possible.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

You folks are right, I got confused between the two post.
I really need to be paying closer attention to the original posts.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

SHogun62

Post by SHogun62 »

I keep around 7 of my army steel mags filled with 55gr. FMJ in various places of my house. The bag my AR sleeps in has 5 30rd. mags of 62gr. Green Tip with it. I figure since I sleep with my sidearm on me, if I have to break out the AR for home defense, the stuff has thoroughly met the fan, and the legalities of using LAP ammo are the least of my concerns at that point. I also keep a green tip chambered as well unless I take her to the range.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Removed because it may have hurt someones feelings.
Last edited by The Wall on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I keep a mag of Federal American Eagle 50 Grain Tipped Varmint loaded (but not chambered) in my AR, just in case I need it for home use.

In my carbine, it's accurate enough out to 100 yards, so it's plenty good enough for close work.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Fiocchi soft point - good for use in a suppressed SBR...
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Wall wrote:Home defense AR? Is there a difference between that and any other AR? Is this for defending your home from outside threats trying to get in or inside threats? I personally think it's too much gun for inside defense unless you don't have anything else. At close quarters combat I don't think it matters a whole lot what you use. It's going to go through pretty much anything you hit and then some. Now if you have a bunch of Zombies coming down the street heading toward your house and you want to get them before they get there. Well, the AR would be a good choice. :lol: It can be fun pretending you're with SWAT or on a SEAL team. :roll: (Just kidding of course)
IMHO there most certainly is a difference. Mine, which resides next to my bed only about 2 feet from my pillow and is loaded ready to go, and one that is loaded or unloaded, but locked away in a safe or otherwise unavailable in an emergency.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

My home defense AR is a suppressed 9mm SBR, so it is loaded with 147 gr. Speer Gold Dots.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”