$11 million 'boutique' range - Missouri City

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

$11 million 'boutique' range - Missouri City

Post by Scott B. »

Read a story this morning on the Click2Houston web site about 'guntry clubs' and followed a link to this Dec 2016 article in the Biz journal.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news ... uburb.html

"$11 million."

"The Brazos Shooting & Social Club will be located near the intersection of Sienna Ranch Road and State Highway 6 in Sienna Plantation...."

"The 54,000-square-foot Houston club will feature 40 shooting lanes, including four, 100-yard rile lanes, 36 pistol lanes, six tactical lanes and reserved lanes for VIP members."

I wonder if we're approaching peak saturation, a la, comedy clubs in the 90s?

That said, I hope it's a great success for them.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Otto
Posts in topic: 2

Re: $11 million 'boutique' range - Missouri City

Post by Otto »

Austin has a similar range that opened 3 weeks ago. It's 52,000 sq. feet so that would puts it in the $10 million plus club.
Memberships start out at $624 a year for Gold and go to $2,700 a year for VIP. But the VIP membership also requires a one-time initiation fee of $7,500...ouch!
What is really astounding is that the range does not allow you to shoot your own reloads. That may not mean much to most shooters but for me it's a deal killer. The best of luck to them.

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CleverNickname »

Yeesh. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer an outdoor range which had:

1. A whole bunch of 50x100 pistol bays, where you could reserve a bay for yourself and park your car right in front of the bay. They would have good drainage so they don't turn to huge mud puddles after a thunderstorm, would have good lighting so you could shoot at night, and sufficient shade for the summer.
2. A rifle range up to 1000 yards, with pits set up so that they could be accessed and targets changed without calling a ceasefire.
3. Actual bathrooms, not portapotties.

That should be doable for 10 million. Make it within 25 miles of my house and I'd be there every weekend.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Spending big bucks for only a 100 yd range is kinda silly. 100yd rifle ranges and 25yd pistol ranges are available and cheap. Why pay more and not get more?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Liberty wrote:Spending big bucks for only a 100 yd range is kinda silly. 100yd rifle ranges and 25yd pistol ranges are available and cheap. Why pay more and not get more?
Indoors - 100yard. That you don't see every day. There will only be 2 or 3 such facilities here Texas. And in Houston that could have an appeal come August ;-)

For the money, I'll just sweat.

I do look forward to see what kind of professional training courses (armorer, etc) they bring in w/ the classrooms. I'm having to go to OKC in May just to pick up a couple I need.

And, if you're down in that part of town I imagine there will be a few job opportunities staff wise.

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Not sure if both Reds in Austin are 100 yard indoor, but I know the one down south off 290 at the Y is...

I don't think it is that uncommon for 100 yard indoor ranges.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Liberty,

To answer your question: Snob appeal.

I'm sure some go to their favorite range to not only shoot, but to also socialize.

I'm not unfriendly, but I don't go to a range to socialize. I go to shoot. Frankly, I don't want the distraction of socializing. I go there, I shoot, I go home. Yes, I'm a curmudgeon, but if you ask me a question, I'll smile and answer, but I don't want to get into a protracted conversation.

I far prefer outdoor ranges too.

Otto

Post by Otto »

Maybe high membership fees will attract a higher clientele while discouraging the obnoxious range slobs that ignore rules and range etiquettes.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Otto,

I hope you're right about that, but don't count on it.

I'm lucky to count among my friends and acquaintances some very wealthy folks.

They aren't much different in their "slobovian ways" than the hoi polloi.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I honestly prefer outdoor ranges most of the time. Frisco Gun Club is alright, but I'd rather shoot where there's more room, less people, and no wait.

Need a good range in Grayson or Cook county. Denton county has Magnum which I liked quite a bit. NTSA is great, but private...with a multi year wait to join...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

mupepe

Post by mupepe »

I'll be about 5 minutes away from this facility it seems. I might go check it out just for grins but I dont suspect it will change my weekend routine from PSC

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:Liberty,

To answer your question: Snob appeal.

I'm sure some go to their favorite range to not only shoot, but to also socialize.

I'm not unfriendly, but I don't go to a range to socialize. I go to shoot. Frankly, I don't want the distraction of socializing. I go there, I shoot, I go home. Yes, I'm a curmudgeon, but if you ask me a question, I'll smile and answer, but I don't want to get into a protracted conversation.

I far prefer outdoor ranges too.
:iagree:

This sounds exactly like me. I am a member at Boyert and shoot at their two locations frequently enough that most of the folks there don't even need to see my membership card to sign me in. I am always friendly and say hello, but it is usually an in-and-out situation for me where I am inside the building 20-30 minutes max. I don't mind the friendliness. It's just that I don't go out of my way looking for a conversation.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I prefer indoor ranges because most outdoor ranges do not have target pulleys and you have to wait for a cease fire to check or change targets. When I pay by the hour, I don't want to stand around waiting for someone to tell me I can go downrange.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

nicest one I have ever been to was Defender Outdoors while visiting Ft Worth. Very nice ranges, snack bar, conference rooms, break area, laser training rooms and a huge showroom. Wish it was in Houston.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

rm9792 wrote:nicest one I have ever been to was Defender Outdoors while visiting Ft Worth. Very nice ranges, snack bar, conference rooms, break area, laser training rooms and a huge showroom. Wish it was in Houston.
In May I'm doing a couple of days of courses at a range (Wilshire Gun) in Oklahoma City that's on par with that. The 'interesting' part is they also have a liquor license! As described, the bar is upstairs and they do something with drivers licenses if you enter. Once you've been to the bar you can't do anything after related to other range business. Interesting concept. :cheers2:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”