Aww, Dang It!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 3

Aww, Dang It!

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I did it again. Bought another new gun. I don't know what's wrong with me! I never used to get the hots for stuff like this. Maybe it's because I'm retired now and have too much free time on my hands???

Anyway, I just bought a new Springfield Armory XD Mod 2 Compact in .45 ACP.

I was sort of thinking about looking for a new night stand gun. I've got a couple of compact 1911's for my EDC, and I'm absolutely satisfied with them for carry. But I was wanting something with more capacity for a night stand hand gun. I know you can get double stack 1911's, and that would be great, but I didn't really want to spend that much money for something of this purpose. I had been looking on-line at some full size XD's with 13+1 capacity in .45, which I decided would be a perfect fit for the purpose I was looking at and the price range I was wanting.

I had to go to Academy this morning to get a $3 leather lace to repair a baseball glove. So while I was there, I thought I'll just go over to the gun counter just to play touchy-feely with a double stack .45 XD. They didn't have a full size like I was wanting to look at, but they did have the compact model that comes with a double stack 9 round and 13 round mag. Of course, being a compact mod-2, it was a little more expensive than the plain old full sizes I was looking at on-line.

So I'm at the gun counter, and I've told the gal there what I'm up to, but I've got this little compact XD in my hand sort of drooling on it, and that's when she starts twitching that bait a little bit and says: "you know, we do price match, plus an additional 5% off that." I said yes, I know, but I can get one a lot cheaper on-line. So she says: "no, you don't understand. We price match on-line prices, too." I said, no I did not know that. I thought you only matched other local stores! So I whip out my phone and find a super cheap price on line and show it to her. She says: "that's their advertised price. We'll match it." Dang it! She just set the hook! Just reel me in - I'm done.

So, all said and done, I walk out of my local Academy with a new .45ACP SA XD Mod 2 Compact for $422. Plus, with the SA promotion going on right now, I get another 4 mags, a holster, a dual mag belt pouch, and something else (a bag maybe? I forget right now).

With the 13+1 capacity, and it being compact, I think it will work great as either a night stand gun, or as a carry gun (if I could ever talk myself into NOT carrying one of my little 1911's).

Anyway, just a deal that I couldn't refuse.

In case anybody else might be thinking about one, I'll write up a little something about it after I get a chance to run it some.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Aww, Dang It!

Post by Skiprr »

thatguyoverthere wrote:I said yes, I know, but I can get one a lot cheaper on-line. So she says: "no, you don't understand. We price match on-line prices, too." I said, no I did not know that.
I didn't know that either. Note to self: temporarily, stay away from the Academy gun counter. I've been thinking about a Springfield Range Officer, and if I happen to see one in the display case....
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

ktfiend

Post by ktfiend »

I did purchase a Range Officer at the same time as my Glock 17. I really wanted the Glock but the RO was too nice to pass up, so I told the guy at the Dick's counter that I'd take both!

rotor

Post by rotor »

Did they let you dryfire it? Sounds like you got a great deal though.

Topic author
thatguyoverthere

No. No dry fire. That's one bad thing about Academy. I bet they do lose some sales because of that. But they are consistent. Its the same in every Academy i've been in.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

thatguyoverthere wrote:No. No dry fire. That's one bad thing about Academy. I bet they do lose some sales because of that. But they are consistent. Its the same in every Academy i've been in.
I don't know about pistols, but they sure let idiots dry fire a shotgun while pointing the muzzle at your head.

Topic author
thatguyoverthere

WTR wrote:
thatguyoverthere wrote:No. No dry fire. That's one bad thing about Academy. I bet they do lose some sales because of that. But they are consistent. Its the same in every Academy i've been in.
I don't know about pistols, but they sure let idiots dry fire a shotgun while pointing the muzzle at your head.
Wow, that would not be a pleasant experience.

I don't know. Maybe depends on the area? Or store manager? I just know that every Academy I've been to in North Texas over the years has had trigger locks installed on everything and would not remove them at customer's request. Always just said "no dry fire allowed." Kind of aggravating sometimes. I think most everybody would prefer to be allowed, but I guess if you sort of know what to expect from what you're looking at, it's not too big a deal.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”