Blazer ammo Fail???

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Blazer ammo Fail???

Post by cmgee67 »

Hey guys I have got a question. I was talking to a friend of mine today and as we were talking about guns I was telling him that I saw a good deal on some blazer ammo and that I have shot a lot of it and ever had an issue. Well he told me he would never touch that stuff. So I said why? He was telling me that when we goes fishing or hunting or something he usually stuffs some blazer in his gun because it's cheap and if he needs to dispose of a pest on his property he doesn't feel bad about using a good hollow point. His EDC is a Walter of some sort he said in 40. He told me that he was fishin on his land and he looked over and saw a varmint that needed to be relieved and when he pulled the trigger he heard "click"!! He then said he held the gun for another 30 seconds and then BOOM!!!! It went off. What would cause this? Primer issue?

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Blazer ammo Fail???

Post by Flightmare »

Hang fires are scary things. I had a buddy of mine have one at the gun range not too long ago. It wasn't blazer though. I've never had any issues from Blazer personally.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I have fired probably 5,000 rounds of it in 9mm. Never one problem.

Any single round can have a problem. If it happened a couple of times per magazine consistently, then I would say that ammo is junk.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I have shot a lot of blazer in.357........no problems.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

AndyC wrote:Blazer Brass or aluminum? Two different things.
Aluminum for me.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

It was the aluminum I believe. I am with y'all. I've never had any issues with blazer wether it be aluminum, or brass. What causes a hang fire

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I am by no means an "expert", but when I starting getting into handguns, one of my first handguns was a Taurus .38. I bought Blazer (aluminum) shells to fire at our homemade range. After shooting about half the box, my hands and the gun were almost black from powder. Being new to this gun, I thought maybe this was normal. After that, I bought different brands and never had that problem again. I still have that original half box of Blazers and vowed to never buy that brand again, no matter how inexpensive they are. This is just my personal opinion, but it is the one brand I, like your friend OP, don't trust. Btw.. I have never had a hang fire and hope I never do. (Scary) :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I've shot several hundred rounds of 9mm Blazer Brass with no problems.

Never had a hang fire, but had one round of white box Winchester that wouldn't fire even though I tried twice.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

THis brings up something I always wondered about. How long should we hang onto a weapon, before unloading a dud. I remember being told 5 minutes in basic, that could seem like forever. What's the longest that folks have experianced?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have never had an issue with Blazer. However, it is a dirty ammo. Cleaning of your weapon will be required.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

THis brings up something I always wondered about. How long should we hang onto a weapon, before unloading a dud. I remember being told 5 minutes in basic, that could seem like forever. What's the longest that folks have experianced?
Most sources I have seen say you should wait around a minute before opening the action (while keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, of course).
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

goose

Post by goose »

RPBrown wrote:I have never had an issue with Blazer. However, it is a dirty ammo. Cleaning of your weapon will be required.
This is exactly what I was going to say. I got a good deal on a lot of 1000. Have been through about 850+ of it. No issues other than it seems to be quite a bit dirtier than my normal UMC or WWB. My Sub2k will started getting finicky after putting a couple of hundred rounds of the Blazer through it at a family fun day. But, for cheap plinking ammo, this isn't a deal killer for me.

One hang fire would not kill a brand of ammo for me without other add-on issues/occurrences.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

For the price, I've had good results over the years with both the Blazer brass and aluminum cartridges - altho the aluminum can be a problem in some pistols. The "NRA way" to deal with a misfire that could potentially turn into a hangfire is to keep the muzzle in a safe direction for at least 30 seconds. One primary cause of hangfires seems to be moisture or high humidity seeping in around the primer pocket and resulting in a "slow burn" - until the fire gets to the dry powder, then boom! And the problem is not limited to just Blazer ammo.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Never had a problem shooting Blazer, though in 9mm it's all been brass cased.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”