Who here has NVD?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 12

Who here has NVD?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'm thinking about getting a night vision device, and I have my eyes set on a PVS-14, Gen-3 or Gen-3+, but that is a LOT of money to spend, so before I do, I'd be interested in the opinions of those of you who already have some kind of NV device. The reason I'm thinking PVS-14 is that it seems very flexible to me. You can use it as a hand-held or helmet-mounted monocular, or you can mount it inline with an optic on a weapon, and it is user serviceable (except maybe for the nitrogen purging part). Optics Planet has a coupon code that's expires on the 8th - "NOPT12" - that gives you 12% off of their normally listed price. For the expensive items like a PVS-14, that's a significant savings.

But I'm open to other alternatives. The one thing I want to avoid is buying cheap Russian junk.

Ideas? Experiences? Recommendations?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Who here has NVD?

Post by Jusme »

Flashlight!! :biggrinjester:

Sorry no help from me, never really felt the need for any, but they are cool to look at.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'm thinking about getting a night vision device, and I have my eyes set on a PVS-14, Gen-3 or Gen-3+, but that is a LOT of money to spend, so before I do, I'd be interested in the opinions of those of you who already have some kind of NV device. The reason I'm thinking PVS-14 is that it seems very flexible to me. You can use it as a hand-held or helmet-mounted monocular, or you can mount it inline with an optic on a weapon, and it is user serviceable (except maybe for the nitrogen purging part). Optics Planet has a coupon code that's expires on the 8th - "NOPT12" - that gives you 12% off of their normally listed price. For the expensive items like a PVS-14, that's a significant savings.

But I'm open to other alternatives. The one thing I want to avoid is buying cheap Russian junk.

In a former life, I was involved to a limited degree with NVG manufacture. The Gen-3 is a commercial version of the infantry grade NVG's, and quite good. It is what I would buy and so I am waiting to see if prices ever come down :waiting: . I think that the ATN scopes are an interesting lower priced option and am considering one but have not jumped in yet: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... ght-optic/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Bitter Clinger wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I'm thinking about getting a night vision device, and I have my eyes set on a PVS-14, Gen-3 or Gen-3+, but that is a LOT of money to spend, so before I do, I'd be interested in the opinions of those of you who already have some kind of NV device. The reason I'm thinking PVS-14 is that it seems very flexible to me. You can use it as a hand-held or helmet-mounted monocular, or you can mount it inline with an optic on a weapon, and it is user serviceable (except maybe for the nitrogen purging part). Optics Planet has a coupon code that's expires on the 8th - "NOPT12" - that gives you 12% off of their normally listed price. For the expensive items like a PVS-14, that's a significant savings.

In a former life, I was involved to a limited degree with NVG manufacture. The Gen-3 is a commercial version of the infantry grade NVG's, and quite good. It is what I would buy and so I am waiting to see if prices ever come down :waiting: . I think that the ATN scopes are an interesting lower priced option and am considering one but have not jumped in yet: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... ght-optic/
I'm looking at these two: http://www.opticsplanet.com/atn-night-v ... -sela.html

The first one lists at $3,499, and it comes down to $3,079 with the coupon code. The second (gen 3+) lists at $4,299, but comes down to $3,695.12 with the coupon code.

My son was involved in the industry a while back too. He worked for Black Optex. He has warned me away from some of the inexpensive units. Easy to say, it's not his money; but he says that a lot of them are made in Russia from cheap parts, and you can't get them serviced. I don't know if that would be true about that scope you linked.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:

I'm looking at these two: http://www.opticsplanet.com/atn-night-v ... -sela.html

The first one lists at $3,499, and it comes down to $3,079 with the coupon code. The second (gen 3+) lists at $4,299, but comes down to $3,695.12 with the coupon code.

My son was involved in the industry a while back too. He worked for Black Optex. He has warned me away from some of the inexpensive units. Easy to say, it's not his money; but he says that a lot of them are made in Russia from cheap parts, and you can't get them serviced. I don't know if that would be true about that scope you linked.
The cheap Russian units are typically just Gen 1 versions of the photomultiplier / intensifier tube to my understanding while I believe that the ATN scope is a digital device (similar to a CCD digital camera).
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I have a buddy that had the X sight. It works on still targets but the refresh rate is too slow to track running pigs. Also, the battery life is terrible and you need the external battery pack. The scope was too low and he used a 1/2 inch riser and upgraded the illuminator to something bigger. After all that, he got rid of it and got an ATN thermal and has shot probably 2 dozen pigs in a few months. It still needs the battery pack and riser but works a lot better than their X sight. I'm not sure about the X sight but the thermal's audio and video do not sync when you record.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I've been wanting an Armasight thermal scope (Prometheus 336) but never considered the PVS - I'll be monitoring this thread. Maybe if I can sell my Savage 12LRP setup I can get one.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

I've had a Sightmark for a while and it's worked well. Hard to beat for the money.

http://sightmark.com/product.php?item=256

Got it at Amazon during a lightning deal for $275.
TSRA Life Memeber

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

The PVS-14 units are very good. Mine is light magnification only. It does take some practice to use it well. I have it on a helmet so I can use it walking around. However, it does shake a bit when moving so you end up going slow. It does let you see animals at a distance you would never see them in the dark. They can't see you either unless they hear you or smell you. However, if the animal is not moving, they are difficult to spot as you are basically seeing in black and white. Also, lots of bushes and shadows will make it difficult to see anything clearly. I need to practice with mine some more. I haven't used it near enough to justify the cost.

I bought mine through a separate outfit. I will try to find a link.

I also suggest looking at a cheap thermal viewer to use also. It should help you see that something is there even if it isn't good enough to let you see what it is. The light magnification will let you get clarity from there. I guess if you are using it mounted on a rifle from a stand, it would be easier.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-l3-gen3-omni-viii/
This is the outfit I bought mine from. They came recommended. I am not sure if this is the same model, but it is close.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

MechAg94 wrote:https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-l3-gen3-omni-viii/
This is the outfit I bought mine from. They came recommended. I am not sure if this is the same model, but it is close.
Goodpoint about NV only optics having limitations. Now I can wait until the thermal scopes come down in price! :tiphat:
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Bitter Clinger wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-l3-gen3-omni-viii/
Goodpoint about NV only optics having limitations. Now I can wait until the thermal scopes come down in price! :tiphat:
Yeah, I've been looking at some models of thermal sights, and have pretty much decided that's the way I'm going to go. But pricing is an issue. The ATN Gen II X-Sights are pretty affordable, but they're not in the same league either as the ATN ThOR HD line, or the competing Armalight line from FLIR. The cheapest of the ThOR line is the 1.25-5x, which runs $2,000. (https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-scope-t ... 4-1-25x-5x) You can get it with 5% off at OpticsPlanet right now, which brings the price down to $1,899.05 - still more expensive than my most expensive riflescope. Even so, the image quality is pretty amazing (nothing gets shot in this footage, obersved only):

#TINVOWOOT

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Stupid me. I thought it was going to be a problem the CNN and MSNBC news casters have NVD News Viral Deception, previously called "fake news"

Sorry, I'll let you get back to more interesting things I can't afford.

I'd rather have a new gun, which I can't afford either.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The first one lists at $3,499, and it comes down to $3,079 with the coupon code. The second (gen 3+) lists at $4,299, but comes down to $3,695.12 with the coupon code.
Sakes alive! That's more than I paid for the motorcycle I rode to work this morning! Um, the only night vision goggles I have came with the special edition of a video game. They're fun, but I'm gonna say they're not the droids you're looking for. I had no idea the real deal was so expensive. I'll add that to the list of super cool toys I'll never have. :cry:
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”