Moderator: carlson1

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 3

Re: If you could only have one gun

Post by RogueUSMC »

G26ster wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Or a mini-gun.
I'll take the the one "gun" I used to have "loaned" to me. 3 mini-guns, 1 40mm grenade launcher, 38 folding fin aerial rockets. If I miss, I can still make a quick getaway. :biggrinjester:

I have witnessed these guys in action...we almost had to do counterbattery fire in the gulf but these guys came in and did a number on the enemy gun positions. Three of them. Each made a pass and rippled off one of the rocket pods...the rockets staged on one side there were fired at a rate that looked like a mod deuce firing 1 in 4 tracers. Then they made a pass and rippled off the other pod. Each pass saw them holding the trigger down on their mini guns. After their second pass, they went home for a beer I think. Awesome sight to see...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

RogueUSMC wrote: I have witnessed these guys in action...we almost had to do counterbattery fire in the gulf but these guys came in and did a number on the enemy gun positions. Three of them. Each made a pass and rippled off one of the rocket pods...the rockets staged on one side there were fired at a rate that looked like a mod deuce firing 1 in 4 tracers. Then they made a pass and rippled off the other pod. Each pass saw them holding the trigger down on their mini guns. After their second pass, they went home for a beer I think. Awesome sight to see...
Even a more awesome sight from the cockpit. The feeling of "invincibility" was huge. Of course that only lasted until you felt ground fire hitting the aircraft, at which time the "pucker factor" might kick in. :biggrinjester: The biggest threat was the Soviet .51 Cal. When we finally got the 20mm cannons mounted they were supposed to give us "standoff range against them. But nah, we still engaged them down to 50-100 ft. :mrgreen:

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Back then, the army was proud of their apaches but I think Marines in their 20 year old cobras would still send them home to momma...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

RogueUSMC wrote:Back then, the army was proud of their apaches but I think Marines in their 20 year old cobras would still send them home to momma...
The Marines never bought into the Apache and Blackhawk. For less money they got the equivalents in the AH-1W "Whiskey" Cobra, and the UH-1 Super Huey. Each one the equal of their counterparts. Less maintenance down time too. Besides, I know for a fact that Bell aircraft continue to fly with "big pieces" missing. But then again, I'm prejudiced :mrgreen:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”