If you could only have one gun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1


Topic author
cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

If you could only have one gun

Postby cmgee67 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Let's set the guidelines for this question.

No machine guns
Weight is not an issue
Size is not an issue
You have infinite ammo

There was an EMP everything is down and you and your family are going to have to survive for the next several months at least. No you don't have any food stored up but you have 1 weeks supply of water. You are only allowed to choose one gun for self defense/food/anything else you need a gun for. Which gun would you choose and why???


I would choose my Remington 870 express super mag in 12 gauge. I'd choose it because of the reliability of the pump action and the round. The reason is, is because of the diversity of the round. You have everything from short range to longer range with slugs, and you have a devastating self defense capability with buck shot as well as you can shoot 2 3/4 all the way to 3 1/2 shells. Again the reason I chose a pump instead of semi auto is because of the reliability and beefyness of it and because of how diverse it is. And if you didn't have infinite ammo you could find the stuff needed to reload and you could shoot anything from nailed to bolts out of it and be ok. You can't do that with a rifle.
I Am Freedoms Safest Place :txflag:

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts: 5026
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby Liberty » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:20 pm

My #1 concern would be gathering enough food. Protection would be an important but secondary consideration. When I was a kid my first gun was a stevens over and under .22/410 I could easily get just about any small game with it. Squirrel, rabbit, duck ... I today I think I would choose a scout M6 or something similar. It breaks down to be fairly packable.

A secondary choice would be an AR15 but it would be a little tougher to shoot something like a squirrel or running rabbit.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

Smokey613
Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:57 pm
Location: Deep East Texas
Contact:

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby Smokey613 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:45 pm

cmgee67 wrote:Let's set the guidelines for this question.

No machine guns
Weight is not an issue
Size is not an issue
You have infinite ammo

There was an EMP everything is down and you and your family are going to have to survive for the next several months at least. No you don't have any food stored up but you have 1 weeks supply of water. You are only allowed to choose one gun for self defense/food/anything else you need a gun for. Which gun would you choose and why???


I would choose my Remington 870 express super mag in 12 gauge. I'd choose it because of the reliability of the pump action and the round. The reason is, is because of the diversity of the round. You have everything from short range to longer range with slugs, and you have a devastating self defense capability with buck shot as well as you can shoot 2 3/4 all the way to 3 1/2 shells. Again the reason I chose a pump instead of semi auto is because of the reliability and beefyness of it and because of how diverse it is. And if you didn't have infinite ammo you could find the stuff needed to reload and you could shoot anything from nailed to bolts out of it and be ok. You can't do that with a rifle.



:iagree:
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / NRA EPL

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22143
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby The Annoyed Man » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:18 pm

[sarcasm]This has never been discussed before.[/sarcasm] :lol:

I don't think there is a "correct" answer. Powerful arguments can be made for a .22LR revolver. Powerful arguments can be made for an AR10. Powerful arguments can be made for single-shot break action shotgun.

Personally, I couldn't choose, nor do I have to. I have a nice little collection, most of which were purchased exactly because they fill a specific role in my armory. I could possibly narrow it down to 2 or 3 if I had to.........but I don't have to.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre


apostate
Senior Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Houston Texas

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby apostate » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Liberty wrote:A secondary choice would be an AR15 but it would be a little tougher to shoot something like a squirrel or running rabbit.

Well, the rules say weight and size are not issues, and you have unlimited ammo, so an AR15 with uppers in several calibers (and barrel lengths) could be very versatile. ;-)
Who doesn't want help from law abiding citizens if they're attacked by criminals?
Texas Municipal Police Association, Combined Law Enforcement Association of Texas,
Houston Police Officers Union, Dallas Police Officers Union, Dallas County Sheriff, [...]
Texas Gun Sense [sic] and Art Acevedo


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby crazy2medic » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Just one gun!
BLASPHEMER!!!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention


Ruark
Senior Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby Ruark » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Well, good grief. If size and weight aren't issues and you can have unlimited ammo, I'd say an M2.
-Ruark

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts: 5026
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby Liberty » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:47 pm

apostate wrote:
Liberty wrote:A secondary choice would be an AR15 but it would be a little tougher to shoot something like a squirrel or running rabbit.

Well, the rules say weight and size are not issues, and you have unlimited ammo, so an AR15 with uppers in several calibers (and barrel lengths) could be very versatile. ;-)

Hard to beat a shotgun for small game if its moving or a .22 for a little more distance. Size and weight are always an issue if I got to lug it looking for food. The main advantage an AR15 offers is long distance for defense or larger game. I don't have either gun, So for a real scenerio, I would be taking my Ruger 9mm and my .308 Ruger Scout. Mostly for their rugged reliability. The Ruger Gunsite was designed with this type of thing in mind, but it would tear up a lot of good meat in small game.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby Lynyrd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:53 pm

That's a hard choice, but if I could only have one it would be an AR-15 in .556 with iron sights. Big enough for hogs and deer. Small enough for rabbits and coons. And yes a coon makes a good meal. :lol: Good for self defense. Performs well at both long distances and short.
Do what you say you're gonna do.


locke_n_load
Senior Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby locke_n_load » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Ar15.
"They that would give up Essential Liberty, for a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

EDC - Glock 26 Gen IV
CHL Holder since 10/08

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22143
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby The Annoyed Man » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Liberty wrote:
apostate wrote:
Liberty wrote:A secondary choice would be an AR15 but it would be a little tougher to shoot something like a squirrel or running rabbit.

Well, the rules say weight and size are not issues, and you have unlimited ammo, so an AR15 with uppers in several calibers (and barrel lengths) could be very versatile. ;-)

Hard to beat a shotgun for small game if its moving or a .22 for a little more distance. Size and weight are always an issue if I got to lug it looking for food. The main advantage an AR15 offers is long distance for defense or larger game. I don't have either gun, So for a real scenerio, I would be taking my Ruger 9mm and my .308 Ruger Scout. Mostly for their rugged reliability. The Ruger Gunsite was designed with this type of thing in mind, but it would tear up a lot of good meat in small game.

My RGS would certainly be at or near the top of my list.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre


WTR
Senior Member
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby WTR » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:33 pm

I think it depends on the game in your area. Where I am presently, it would be a 12 ga used on dove, quail and rabbit. The occasional deer if I choose to expend the added energy. I have been in parts of San Antonio and Pipe Creek where deer were available off the back porch. A .22 would have been sufficient. I also have been in the high country in NM where I would most likely take my .308.

User avatar

Lambda Force
Senior Member
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby Lambda Force » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:18 am

Suppressed .22 pistol. In that scenario I don't want to attract unwanted attention.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby Flightmare » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:48 am

Can I pick the AA-12?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3033
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: If you could only have one gun

Postby Jusme » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:25 am

There would be several factors to consider, as previously posted. Location, type of food source, the population density, which would raise the need for defense, etc..

I agree with cmgee, a pump 12 gauge shotgun would be difficult to beat for a wide variety of situations. But if I lived where Grizzly bears were a problem, that may not be the best choice. Given, my current situation, the area where I live, population density, type of game in my area, I would definitely opt for my shotgun. For food gathering, I would most likely use traps and snares, rather than shooting at everything, but it would give me the widest range of choices, if I needed it for food gathering, or self defense. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chasfm11 and 13 guests