Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby C-dub » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Two weeks ago a friend let me borrow his ACOG to try it out on my carbine and see if I liked it or not. It was GREAT! Thank you The Marshal!

Last week I bought the TA31RCO-M4CP for myself and this weekend I took it and my daughter and several firearms and a whole bunch of ammo the range to sight it in and have some fun. I went to one of the 25 yard bays at my club and couldn't believe my eyes. According to some folks on the M4Carbine site the 300 yard marker in the BDC. Using that and that the manual says that the scope is centered at the factory and should require little adjustment to sight in, I found that my first few shots POI were 2" high and 4" left of POA. I was able to make elevation adjustments and was right on there. However, I could get the windage adjustment no closer than still 3" left from POA. The precision was great. I was placing 3, 4, 5 shots all touching each other, but still no better than 3" left. Another friend that happened to be at the club today came over and tried it out with the same results, so I know it wasn't me. The Marshal even reminded me about the slap or tapping thing each time and adjustment is made before shooting again, but to no avail.

Unless any of you fine folks know what I'm doing or did wrong or didn't do I think I'm going to have to contact Trijicon about this. I have read about a few of their sights just flat not adjusting. Has anyone else experienced this? Were you able to correct it? What did you do?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22435
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby The Annoyed Man » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:52 pm

C-dub wrote:Two weeks ago a friend let me borrow his ACOG to try it out on my carbine and see if I liked it or not. It was GREAT! Thank you The Marshal!

Last week I bought the TA31RCO-M4CP for myself and this weekend I took it and my daughter and several firearms and a whole bunch of ammo the range to sight it in and have some fun. I went to one of the 25 yard bays at my club and couldn't believe my eyes. According to some folks on the M4Carbine site the 300 yard marker in the BDC. Using that and that the manual says that the scope is centered at the factory and should require little adjustment to sight in, I found that my first few shots POI were 2" high and 4" left of POA. I was able to make elevation adjustments and was right on there. However, I could get the windage adjustment no closer than still 3" left from POA. The precision was great. I was placing 3, 4, 5 shots all touching each other, but still no better than 3" left. Another friend that happened to be at the club today came over and tried it out with the same results, so I know it wasn't me. The Marshal even reminded me about the slap or tapping thing each time and adjustment is made before shooting again, but to no avail.

Unless any of you fine folks know what I'm doing or did wrong or didn't do I think I'm going to have to contact Trijicon about this. I have read about a few of their sights just flat not adjusting. Has anyone else experienced this? Were you able to correct it? What did you do?

I would contact Trijicon. NO scope should do that. I've had an ACOG now for several years, and I love it.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5229
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby Pawpaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:16 am

I had trouble setting the windage on my ACOG when I first tried to sight it in. It turned out I was just bein overly cautious. I thought I was at the limit of adjustment when in reality I wasn't even close.

I was very surprised how much adjustment those scopes really have.

Edit: Here's my thread from 2011: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=41764
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin 1759

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Topic author
C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby C-dub » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:26 am

Okay, I may give it another try. It is an awesome scope and than being left it works beautifully.

Have you heard of the hitting or smacking thing after each adjustment before shooting again? Where exactly is one supposed to do this. I may not be doing this properly. Also, how hard? I know it is reputed to be tough as a tank and all, but c'mon. These things ain't cheap.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar

Topic author
C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby C-dub » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:33 am

Pawpaw wrote:I had trouble setting the windage on my ACOG when I first tried to sight it in. It turned out I was just bein overly cautious. I thought I was at the limit of adjustment when in reality I wasn't even close.

I was very surprised how much adjustment those scopes really have.

Edit: Here's my thread from 2011: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=41764

Thanks for that Pawpaw. I remember that thread now that you've reminded me. I don't think I've gone a full revolution yet and was also worried for the same reason.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5229
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby Pawpaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 am

One more thing to remember is that it will take a lot more clicks to get 1" of adjustment at shorter ranges.

For instance, my scope is 2 clicks per MOA. At 100 yards, it will take 2 clicks to move the POI 1" (approximately). at 50 yards, it will take 4 clicks to move 1". At 25 yards... 8 clicks.

I've read about the necessity to thump the scope after adjustment. I haven't noticed the issue with mine, but just to be sure I smack it with the heel of my hand while holding the rifle loosely in my other hand.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin 1759

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Topic author
C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby C-dub » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:27 am

Pawpaw wrote:One more thing to remember is that it will take a lot more clicks to get 1" of adjustment at shorter ranges.

For instance, my scope is 2 clicks per MOA. At 100 yards, it will take 2 clicks to move the POI 1" (approximately). at 50 yards, it will take 4 clicks to move 1". At 25 yards... 8 clicks.

I've read about the necessity to thump the scope after adjustment. I haven't noticed the issue with mine, but just to be sure I smack it with the heel of my hand while holding the rifle loosely in my other hand.

Good grief! I can't do math in my head anymore. Mine in=s the same and somehow I came up with only 4 clicks to adjust one inch at 25 yards. :oops:

It appears like I may have quite a bit of travel left and there may still be hope for this scope. I do like it quite a bit.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar

SRO1911
Senior Member
Posts: 673
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: Abilene, TX

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby SRO1911 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:49 am

Tapping is usually done lightly on orbbear the turret.
With many of the older scopes there was a certain, very small, amount of lash in the adjustment. Couple that woth the heavy grease used and you could easily be off half a click or more from the stop detent which would then self correct under recoil at some point - although which direction would be random.
A few light taps, usually with the fired case you just removed, ensures the the erector and turret are firmly in the detent.
In small group competition especially, that half click can be critical.
When any govt, or church,says This you can't read, are forbidden to know, the result is tyranny and oppression. Little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked; no force can control a free man, not the rack, bombs, not anything, you can't conquer a free man, at most you can kill him.

User avatar

Topic author
C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby C-dub » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Pawpaw was right and TAM was "wrong." :shock:

And I am a happy camper.

I got out to the range before the rain blew through this morning and took another new item with me to test out. Midway had those Ammocam things on sale and I ordered one and it arrived on Wednesday. It works really cool!

After my last/first rand session with my new ACOG still fresh in my mind, before taking my first shot today I cranked the windage adjustment almost one full turn to the right. Then I smacked it pretty good with there'll of my hand 2-3 times. The first shot was only about0.5-1.0 inches left of POA. :anamatedbanana

8 more clicks right and the next three shots were in the bull and all touching each other. The first two were almost in the same hole.

This was only at 25 yards and I didn't have time to move over to the 100 yard line, but this makes me very happy. I'll hit the 100 yard line next time out.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22435
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby The Annoyed Man » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:31 pm

C-dub wrote:Pawpaw was right and TAM was "wrong." :shock:

Pawpaw was right, but I was not wrong. NO scope SHOULD do that - Trijicon or not. I understand the mechanics of why it happens. But that still doesn't make it right. If you had to give your steering wheel 2 or 3 good hard raps with a wrench, after you had cranked in the turns, in order to make those turns take effect at the wheels...........that would not be right, and it would be correct for me to say that "NO steering wheel should do that." None of my scopes, including my ACOG, have ever needed that.

Now go bite your tongue. :lol:
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts: 9219
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby AndyC » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Funny, I happen to have bought the exact same model - arrived a couple days ago. Looking forward to getting it to the range - I've merely bore-sighted it for now.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Senior Member
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby Bitter Clinger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:29 pm

AndyC wrote:Funny, I happen to have bought the exact same model - arrived a couple days ago. Looking forward to getting it to the range - I've merely bore-sighted it for now.


You may find this useful:
Image
"You may all go to Chicago, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

Topic author
C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby C-dub » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:13 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
C-dub wrote:Pawpaw was right and TAM was "wrong." :shock:

Pawpaw was right, but I was not wrong. NO scope SHOULD do that - Trijicon or not. I understand the mechanics of why it happens. But that still doesn't make it right. If you had to give your steering wheel 2 or 3 good hard raps with a wrench, after you had cranked in the turns, in order to make those turns take effect at the wheels...........that would not be right, and it would be correct for me to say that "NO steering wheel should do that." None of my scopes, including my ACOG, have ever needed that.

Now go bite your tongue. :lol:

That's why it was in quotes. I just forgot the little :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar

Topic author
C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby C-dub » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:17 pm

Bitter Clinger wrote:
AndyC wrote:Funny, I happen to have bought the exact same model - arrived a couple days ago. Looking forward to getting it to the range - I've merely bore-sighted it for now.


You may find this useful:
Image

Yeah, it's in the manual. Also, from the M4Carbine forum, I was using the 300y mark for shooting at 25y. Since I didn't get to they 100y line today I'll have to wait and see how close I am to a 100yzero another day.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5229
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Postby Pawpaw » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm glad it worked out.

As for me being right, it just proves the old adage that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. ;-)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin 1759

NRA Benefactor Life Member


Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 34 guests