Ft Worth Gun Show this past weekend

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Iunnrais
Posts in topic: 3

Ft Worth Gun Show this past weekend

Post by Iunnrais »

Guy's weekend out turned expensive for me this past weekend...

Turns out one of my buddies had a booth there and well...you have to support your friends, right? And since Happy Wife = Happy Life, also brought home a new leather purse for the Mrs. from the Gun Totin Mamas booth.

Put 100 rnds of WWB through it yesterday at the range. Very nice little pistol. The DA trigger is fairly good compared to my S&W 629 and my buddy's P-38, LCP and LCR. In SA mode, it's just a hair worse than my 1911. With a few more rounds downrange, I'm betting that things will only get better. It may become my new range favorite with a mag loader to save my thumb from 9mm-itis. Just a very well balanced device. It's heavy enough to shoot pleasantly all afternoon and just that right size that I think it will carry well. I did do a field strip before firing so that I could examine and lube it. There turned out to not be any need for lube. Everything looked great from the factory with plenty of oil in the right places.

I need to check into holster and grip options before rotating it into the carry set. It has some very comfortable rubber grips that I don't think will play well with clothing. It's a CZ though so the grip options look to be almost as varied as the 1911 market. Some nicer (night) sights would also be appreciated.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ft Worth Gun Show this past weekend

Post by puma guy »

Very Nice! :thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

It is fairly easy to replace the front sight with fiber optic. Get it from the CZ Custom Shop.

SK
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

You must have bought the only CZ75 in the U.S. Inventories all over are depleted.

If you are good with your hands and are patient, you may want to consider https://cajungunworks.com/product/75664 ... decockers/ I have this kit in two CZs and I'll put it in every one I buy. Get slave pins for the sear cage and the starter punch for the hammer and trigger pins.

Chas.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:You must have bought the only CZ75 in the U.S. Inventories all over are depleted.

If you are good with your hands and are patient, you may want to consider https://cajungunworks.com/product/75664 ... decockers/ I have this kit in two CZs and I'll put it in every one I buy. Get slave pins for the sear cage and the starter punch for the hammer and trigger pins.

Chas.
Charles, are the CZs really THAT good? I have only handled one once, so I have no idea; but the people who own them seem to be almost fanatical about them.

.....And by the way, aren't you a 1911 guy? LOL :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:You must have bought the only CZ75 in the U.S. Inventories all over are depleted.

Chas.
Charles, are the CZs really THAT good? I have only handled one once, so I have no idea; but the people who own them seem to be almost fanatical about them.

My Tanfoglio BTA90 is very similar to the older CZ75. It really is that good. It is all steel, but not too heavy to carry all day. I carried it concealed 2.5 years. Now it is living free and we are both happier. The only shortcoming is the difficulty I have had in finding magazines and a holster specifically for the BTA90.

I will replace my BTA90 with my new S&W M&P Mod2 9mm 5inch when it arrives. Extra magazines and holster choices are plentiful.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

I saw a few CZ 75s at the show. I don't recall another P-01, but I did look at a couple of SP-01s as well as a number of the polymer variants (and maybe left a bit of drool on a Jericho). I'd been debating a CZ for a few years after seeing how well folks liked them. Now I see why :) I'll have to visit cajun gun works sometime in the future. That kits looks very interesting.

It has a nice kinship to the 1911 in feel somehow. That same good, steel, hammer fired made for your hand feel. :fire

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Chas.
Waiting for the Shadow II. :waiting:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

I am really close to ordering a CZ through their military pricing program and having it sent straight to Cajun Gun Works for one of their upgrade packages. I just have to decide which one I want, although I am leaning towards the P-01.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

My first civilian handgun was a CZ75 P-01. Paid well under $400 for it. Found I could not hit anything with it at the range, while I could blow out the 10 ring with friends Glocks or 1911s, disliked the de-cocker, and most of all the take down was a bear. The witness marks to remove the slide were grossly inaccurate, and removing the slide pin was next to impossible even when following the user manual to use the heel of a magazine to push it out. Maybe I just had a bad one, dunno, but I really disliked the gun. Since then I own or have owned Glocks, Sigs, Springfields, Berettas, and numerous military hand guns from around the world. Never disliked any of them as much as I disliked the CZ. But that's just me. But before you by a CZ75 P-01, try taking it down first. I could be all wet :oops:

Topic author
Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

Taking this one down seems easy enough. Clear it, put the hammer to the half cock position, move the slide back until it just touches the hammer (the mark on the frame is hard to see, but this trick works great), push out the slidelock on the edge of the desk or using some handy hard object. et voila. Slide is free to move all the way forward and off the frame. Goes back together just as easy.

Not as easy to field strip as a Glock or my Walther PPS but simple enough.

I need to get it back to the range and practice some more with it using paper instead of steel. The steel is fun, but the distance to the racks was a bit long for getting acquainted properly. Next time I do that, I'll bring my 629 instead. 6" bbl and 240gr cast lead would have been better for knocking down plates.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Chas.

They are that good. They have been rightly called the 1911 of Europe.

I've been a 1911 guy for 50 years, but I have to admit that I like CZs equally well. I've always liked the feel of the gun, but never thought I would like it so well. I bought Martha the P-01 and when I shot it I was sold. It had most of the Cajun Gun Works parts, other than the Reach Reduction Kit. I put that in and I liked it even more. After I bought my PCR and Cajunized it, it quickly became one of my favorite pistols. I shoot it as well as my 1911s and close to mid ranges. At longer ranges, I shoot the 5" Gov't model 1911 better. The CZ reputation for reliability make Glocks look like HiPoints.

I'm going to get three other CZs, none of which will be decockers. I much prefer cocked-and-locked. The only downside is that they are not .45ACP. I could get a CZ97, but that's a big gun to gain only two more rounds over my 1911s. Heck, I could carry two 10-rd. .45 ACP mags. with 8 +1 in my 1911 and only be two rounds short of a CZ97 with two extra mags.

I have good 1911s and take care of them very well. I've had very few malfunctions as I have had few with my Glocks and XD. We have at least 4,000 rounds through two CZs, and are yet to have our first malfunction. My retired SWAT friend said his CZ is the only gun that has never malfunctioned, including his bolt-action rifles. As much as I love 1911s, if I had a CZ on a night stand next to any of my 1911s, I'd grab the CZ if the burglar alarm suddenly went off. I almost feel disloyal saying that.

Chas.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Chas.

Oh THANKS Charles........you've probably cost me another $650! "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

J Wilson

Post by J Wilson »

I have a CZ75D PCR Compact that I really like.Personally I like the de-cocker.I don't really find it that hard to take apart,and it just feels good in your hand.I am very pleased with mine,but that is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
Can anybody recommend good holsters for it? (OWB)

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Chas.

Oh THANKS Charles........you've probably cost me another $650! "rlol"
Be careful my friend. That will be the first $650, not the last.

Chas.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”