6 weeks Taurus... 6 weeks

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 6

6 weeks Taurus... 6 weeks

Post by cmgee67 »

Well it's been six weeks since I decided to give Taurus a try because I saw one of the PT111 G2's on sale and decided what the heck. When I got it home the safety didn't work. It would allow you to fully pull the trigger you can hear the audible CLICK of the trigger goin off and the gun firing. Yes the safety was all the way engaged and I was able to pull the trigger over and over again with the safety ENGAGED!!!!! I planned on making it a truck/boat gun so I'd like the safety to work. Not to mention it's brand new never fired. I wanted to give Taurus a second chance but nope not now. It got shipped off for warrantee repair that same day SIX WEEKS ago. And yes in case you were wondering I know I should have been able to test the trigger at the store but academy would not allow me to. They let me do every thing else but pull the trigger so I couldn't until I got home. Taurus you let me down.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 6 weeks Taurus... 6 weeks

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Taurus is no doubt swamped right now with warranty repairs related to their recall settlement. That might be exacerbating the delay.

I have had mixed luck with Taurus. I bought a PT 24/7 is .45 ACP that had significant issues with FTF from day 1. That gun is recall eligible, so I am considering sending it in, but might do a bit of a fluff and buff first to see if I can get it to work. On the plus side, I had a PT 709 Slim that worked great.

zmcgooga
Posts in topic: 2

Post by zmcgooga »

When I purchased mine about a year ago the first time I went to the range it I couldn't get it to return to battery to I had to send it off for warranty repair. 4 weeks later I finally got it back but I will say I've put 500+ rounds through it without one malfunction and I trust it enough to carry it.

I do think the the rule at Academy were they won't let you test the trigger is asinine, it prevented be from buying a pistol there one day. The manager behind the gun bar looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked if I could test the trigger. I told him thank you, took out my phone, took a picture of the price and went across the street to Gander Mountain. They let me test the trigger on the same pistol and gave me 10% off Academy's price.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 6

Post by cmgee67 »

I bought a Taurus model 85 38 special for my wife and it's been nothing but reliable and shoots good. She loves it and I like it. So I thought I'd give one of their semi autos a try and it bit me. I wouldn't mind owning another revolver of theirs but not an auto. And yes it's dumb beyond belief they won't let you test the trigger. They know it's safety checked they did it and I did it but still no dice on that.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

zmcgooga wrote:When I purchased mine about a year ago the first time I went to the range it I couldn't get it to return to battery to I had to send it off for warranty repair. 4 weeks later I finally got it back but I will say I've put 500+ rounds through it without one malfunction and I trust it enough to carry it.

I do think the the rule at Academy were they won't let you test the trigger is asinine, it prevented be from buying a pistol there one day. The manager behind the gun bar looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked if I could test the trigger. I told him thank you, took out my phone, took a picture of the price and went across the street to Gander Mountain. They let me test the trigger on the same pistol and gave me 10% off Academy's price.
I think there are a lot of folks out there that believe dry firing will damage a pistol, and Academy is trying to appease them by showing that the display model has not been dry fired.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
That gun is recall eligible, so I am considering sending it in, but might do a bit of a fluff and buff first to see if I can get it to work.
As a caution, I have a good friend that did the fluff and buff prior to sending his in and Taurus tried to void the warranty because the gun had been "altered". He had a lengthy battle with them before they finally agreed to repair it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I told you in your other "Taurus" thread why I would never buy a Taurus for a pistol that I'd stake my life on.

You didn't listen. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

zmcgooga

Post by zmcgooga »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
zmcgooga wrote:When I purchased mine about a year ago the first time I went to the range it I couldn't get it to return to battery to I had to send it off for warranty repair. 4 weeks later I finally got it back but I will say I've put 500+ rounds through it without one malfunction and I trust it enough to carry it.

I think there are a lot of folks out there that believe dry firing will damage a pistol, and Academy is trying to appease them by showing that the display model has not been dry fired.
I can appreciate that, though most modern firearms (-rimfire) are fine to dry fire.

Do you think that they would lose more sells from not allowing a customer to test a trigger or from allowing it and customers being turned off from the dry firing?

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

zmcgooga wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I can appreciate that, though most modern firearms (-rimfire) are fine to dry fire.

Do you think that they would lose more sells from not allowing a customer to test a trigger or from allowing it and customers being turned off from the dry firing?
Why doesn't Academy let the people dry fire a pistol they've picked out with a Snap Cap in it? In fact, load 4 or 5 snap caps in the mag and cycle the action to chamber a snap cap round into the chamber to see if it works? I think they'd sell more guns that way(or satisfy customers). Just my opinion. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

Both of mine have run flawlessly from day one, 11 years ago. Out of the box, on my bench, cleaned up, de-burred, and to the range.

Sorry y'all are having problems, that's got to be frustrating.

ETR

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Clearly Academy's no-dry-fire policy hasn't hurt their sales enough for them to consider alternatives. I suspect that part of the policy has to do with sales staff that are often poorly trained (in firearms and safety with firearms) as well as them selling ammo off the shelf. They want to avoid as much risk as possible, which isn't too hard to understand. OTOH, their policy makes sourcing new firearms from others with a different policy more attractive to me.

I can't comment with first-hand experience of any Taurus Auto-loaders. The PT-92/99 had a good reputation, but I understand that it was mostly made on Beretta machinery related to a Brazilian contract. Later models haven't seemed to enjoy such a good reputation, though.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I had a 709 slim that developed horrible FTE issues after I had it a while. Two trips to Miami and the issue persisted, so I sold it back to Cabellas at a loss of course. This is when you couldn't find magazines for them either. Now that I don't have one, I see magazines all the time!

Now my 809 works like a charm. I've had very few issues at all with it, other than one or two blips in the few years I've had it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

rotor

Post by rotor »

I sent Taurus a PT111 Pro on Aug 4, 2015 and it was not until Dec 15, 2015 that they replaced it with a PT111G2. Took another month for them to reimburse me the FFL fee as since it was a new gun they had to send it to my FFL.
It is now a truck gun. It has never failed me, I did check the safety and it does work. I am sure that you will get a functioning gun back from Taurus eventually so hold in there.
Incidentally, they say that you can check the status on their web site but that never worked for me.
The Academy policy of not allowing one to check the trigger is a real turn-off to purchasing from them. You can't check the gun and you can't return it. Unless there is a great financial deal I won't buy a gun at Academy.

Kkpsiknl

Post by Kkpsiknl »

Every gun I have purchased at academy I have been able to dry fire including my new judge magnum. They even price matched gt distributors because there is a brick and mortar location here in Austin.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

My LGS doesn't even sell Taurus. They may have to reconsider, since I'm told that a local business is producing some barrels on their newer models, but they would rather lose a sale than sell a Taurus to a customer.
Guns that I've seen come through their shop from before they began their policy

A 1911 that went back to Taurus 4 times. It never would fire a complete magazine.
A .454 Casull that broke in half.
A PT-111 that dropped the magazine whenever it felt like it.
NRA lifetime member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”