On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
Excaliber
Moderator
Posts: 5368
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: DFW Metro

On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby Excaliber » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:13 am

A Texas trooper reportedly heard noises he thought could indicate an intruder outside trying to get into his home late at night.

Instead of calling local law enforcement, he donned his ballistic vest, grabbed his gun and went outside.

The results reinforce why this tactic is strongly disfavored by those who would like to live to see the following day.

Details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

User avatar

Jeff B.
Senior Member
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:21 pm
Location: Flower Mound

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby Jeff B. » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 am

That's a good reminder of what can happen. Especially that the property owner was a DPS Trooper. Fortunate that he chose to wear his vest and avoid worse injuries.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 1640
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby bblhd672 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:58 am

I used to read Bearing Arms website daily but Bob Owens increasingly know it all snarky attitude turned me away.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“Take away the undeserved from the undeserving and you get a tantrum. Steal the earned from those who earned it and you get righteous rage. One’s a firecracker, the other a volcano.” - Robert Gore

User avatar

Jeff B.
Senior Member
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:21 pm
Location: Flower Mound

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby Jeff B. » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:04 am

I don't disagree and don't take the view that we should always stay put or hide in a darkened room and wait for "the authorities", but... it's a good reminder that as thorough of a recon as possible is a very good idea before heading out to "investigate".

Writers or SME's that take a preachy and condescending tone towards their readers will soon find that they've lost their audience. Especially in a group that tends to be more independent and self reliant than the average citizen.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman


treadlightly
Senior Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby treadlightly » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:06 am

Abandon defilade only when you have to, I imagine. Glad the trooper is going to be ok.

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby ScottDLS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:22 am

bblhd672 wrote:I used to read Bearing Arms website daily but Bob Owens increasingly know it all snarky attitude turned me away.


Yeah where did he get all his supposed experience. Maybe while playing Monday Morning Quarterback for the Elks Club. :roll:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Senior Member
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby Bitter Clinger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:29 am

Excaliber wrote:A Texas trooper reportedly heard noises he thought could indicate an intruder outside trying to get into his home late at night.

Instead of calling local law enforcement, he donned his ballistic vest, grabbed his gun and went outside.

The results reinforce why this tactic is strongly disfavored by those who would like to live to see the following day.

Details here.


Maybe he had just finished watching the news where it was reported, for example in Dallas, that if you call 911 they will either not answer, or put you on hold for 20 minutes. Now what? Mine your backyard and run the clacker wire inside? Give the trooper a break here.
"You may all go to Chicago, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11203
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby C-dub » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 am

Get in position and if the BG enters that fatal hallway tunnel teach him how it got that name.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar

Jago668
Senior Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby Jago668 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:12 am

I wouldn't go outside unless I had too. I'd rather be on hold for 20 minutes, and wait another 20 for the police to show up than have this happen. I don't have anything outside my home worth getting shot over. Maybe if I still lived on the ranch and they were in the barn stealing horses or equipment. They can have my lawn chair and grill before I'm going outside in the dark against unknown number of people.
NRA Patron Member


TresHuevos
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:39 am
Location: heck Paso

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby TresHuevos » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:18 am

I'll let my dog out and he'll let me know if someone is out there for sure. To those saying to wait for authorities, this trooper is and LEO. He knows his property better than anyone that would be responding and would know all the angles to take. I suspect that this trooper may have let the bad guy get too close and a physical confrontation ensued.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby crazy2medic » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:56 am

TresHuevos wrote:I'll let my dog out and he'll let me know if someone is out there for sure. To those saying to wait for authorities, this trooper is and LEO. He knows his property better than anyone that would be responding and would know all the angles to take. I suspect that this trooper may have let the bad guy get too close and a physical confrontation ensued.

I concur, i would let the dogs out, let them deal with 4 big dogs while I back the dogs up with my carbine, i live out in the county, sheriff's office will be at best 20 min away!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention


rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby rotor » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:21 pm

My corgi would bark his head off and mow me down as he dived for cover under the bed. My Bostons would look at each other and say "what is going on?"


flechero
Senior Member
Posts: 805
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby flechero » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:09 pm

I'll give the trooper the benefit of the doubt- I bet there are facts not in the written story that could be important.

User avatar

Topic author
Excaliber
Moderator
Posts: 5368
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: DFW Metro

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby Excaliber » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:35 pm

flechero wrote:I'll give the trooper the benefit of the doubt- I bet there are facts not in the written story that could be important.


You're right in that news accounts are never complete and are rarely completely accurate. Articles based on initial reports are usually less complete and less accurate than the original. However, with that said, there are lessons to be learned here. The first is that even a highly trained individual can be much more easily successfully attacked outside than inside.

Coming up with the best response is not as simple as it might first appear. As some have pointed out, a farm family faced with an adversary who is stealing livestock or critical equipment in an area where law enforcement response won't get there in time to make a difference is in a very different situation than a suburban homeowner who hears noises outside.

Letting the dogs out from a door away from the intruder's suspected location is a viable tactic that should quickly reveal if there is a problem out there or not and where it is likely to be. They also give an intruder a problem he didn't have before and may inspire him to find another place to be. If things work out this way, it neatly resolves the problem and you simply owe your faithful companions some treats.

If a decision to go outside is made, thought needs to be given to how and where to exit the home. Out of sight, quietly, and well away from the intruder's suspected location is much preferred. Planning needs to include how you will search for the adversary without making a target out of yourself with a flashlight. Keep in mind that there may be multiple adversaries, they may be in different locations, and their night vision will be keen while yours will likely be poor if you have been in a lighted area of the home just before your exit.

Your plan needs to include how those left inside will be protected while you are outside, what you will do if you do encounter the adversary, how you will communicate with persons still inside the home and law enforcement, and what those inside the home will do if you are engaged and downed by the adversary (good guys don't always win).

When you think all this through, staying inside starts to look like a really good idea even for highly trained folks except in the most extreme circumstances.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.


flechero
Senior Member
Posts: 805
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Postby flechero » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 am

Excaliber wrote:
flechero wrote:I'll give the trooper the benefit of the doubt- I bet there are facts not in the written story that could be important.


You're right in that news accounts are never complete and are rarely completely accurate. Articles based on initial reports are usually less complete and less accurate than the original. However, with that said, there are lessons to be learned here. The first is that even a highly trained individual can be much more easily successfully attacked outside than inside.

Coming up with the best response is not as simple as it might first appear. As some have pointed out, a farm family faced with an adversary who is stealing livestock or critical equipment in an area where law enforcement response won't get there in time to make a difference is in a very different situation than a suburban homeowner who hears noises outside.

Letting the dogs out from a door away from the intruder's suspected location is a viable tactic that should quickly reveal if there is a problem out there or not and where it is likely to be. They also give an intruder a problem he didn't have before and may inspire him to find another place to be. If things work out this way, it neatly resolves the problem and you simply owe your faithful companions some treats.

If a decision to go outside is made, thought needs to be given to how and where to exit the home. Out of sight, quietly, and well away from the intruder's suspected location is much preferred. Planning needs to include how you will search for the adversary without making a target out of yourself with a flashlight. Keep in mind that there may be multiple adversaries, they may be in different locations, and their night vision will be keen while yours will likely be poor if you have been in a lighted area of the home just before your exit.

Your plan needs to include how those left inside will be protected while you are outside, what you will do if you do encounter the adversary, how you will communicate with persons still inside the home and law enforcement, and what those inside the home will do if you are engaged and downed by the adversary (good guys don't always win).

When you think all this through, staying inside starts to look like a really good idea even for highly trained folks except in the most extreme circumstances.


I don't disagree with you. My point was that a "highly trained" individual would know better than us what the risks are... which is why I think there is probably more to the story.


Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hovercat, JRG, MSNbot Media and 11 guests