Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Re: On Going Outside to Investigate Noises

Post by Excaliber »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
WTR wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:If said intruder managed to get away with a couple of dog bites, they would very likely seek medical attention, dogs bites are a required reporting incident by law, let the BG explain how he got bit!
And his BFF would back him up and say that it was his dog that bit him, while the perp and his friend were playing on the friend's backyard swing set.
Asking responding LEO's to take a swab of the perp's blood from the area of the encounter right after the incident would provide DNA evidence that would require some novel and likely entertaining explanations when defense counsel tries to reconcile it with the friend's dog story.
You assume the PD would be willing to run a DNA sample in such a case. Some cities have a 10 year backlog for DNA testing of rape cases, so I doubt a dog bite would be a priority.
Also, dog bites don't always bleed that profusely. Dog bites may exhibit puncture wounds and lacerations, but they are also crushing injuries. In crushing injuries with penetrating trauma, little tiny capillaries in the tissues are crushed, but they seep, rather than pour blood, and so unless major vessels are affected, clotting can take place before too much blood leaves the body. It is conceivable that there would be no blood evidence at the scene from which to get DNA, because it was soaked into his clothing, but didn't drip onto the ground, or whatever.
Yup, all that's true. As the recipient of a few bites, I can attest that there isn't usually much exterior blood, and the police wouldn't go through the trouble of a DNA analysis unless somebody got very badly hurt or killed.

My DNA collection suggestion was offered with tongue in cheek because the thought of a defense attorney trying to reconcile that with the "bit by the friend's dog" story tickled my warped sense of humor. :mrgreen:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

growlerVII
Posts in topic: 1

Post by growlerVII »

crazy2medic wrote:
TresHuevos wrote:I'll let my dog out and he'll let me know if someone is out there for sure. To those saying to wait for authorities, this trooper is and LEO. He knows his property better than anyone that would be responding and would know all the angles to take. I suspect that this trooper may have let the bad guy get too close and a physical confrontation ensued.
I concur, i would let the dogs out, let them deal with 4 big dogs while I back the dogs up with my carbine, i live out in the county, sheriff's office will be at best 20 min away!
Same here, if I'm lucky the area constable will be napping on a back.road nearby......but, I wouldn't rely on it.

karder

Post by karder »

Exiting the house to confront an unknown intruder or number of intruders is very dangerous. My dogs are kind enough to let me know when anyone gets within 500 yards though, so I have a lot of heads up.

My two male GSDs move in and out of the house via the doggie door and spend most of the night watching the gate and threatening cats and skunks. Last summer I heard them go crazy at 3am. This was more than barking at a cat wandering by, but really going nuts. I get up to check things out as my neighbor has a garage on the side they were barking and I thought someone might be trying to break in. I go out back, and look over the wall to the street where my dogs were barking and there is a twelve pack of beer sitting on the steps and no one in sight. We have a rod iron gate on that side and some steps up from the street, but very rarely use that gate as it is not convenient.
I guess some teenagers stole a twelve pack and thought they found a quiet corner to enjoy them. The dogs must have charged that gate as they sat their with their backs to it and scared the dickens out of them. Whoever had been there was long gone. 3 of the beers were opened and spilled, but the rest were fine (they were warm too, which makes me think it was teens doing a beer run). Anyway, I tossed the other 9 in the fridge and went back to bed. Good job boys!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

If my wife and I ever do get our place out and away from things, we'll probably go back to Rotties. 2-4 would be good. Rotties are a great pack breed that go after their prey instinctively as a pack and they are real difficult to see at night. I'll also teach them many things including how to not eat anything I don't feed them myself in their bowls or from my hand. This will help keep them from being poisoned. I've had friends where an entire neighborhood had all the dogs poisoned one weekend and then a week or two later many houses were broken into when the humans weren't home.

If we ever get this setup I probably won't need to go outside to investigate anything at night. I'll just go out in the morning to see whatever it was and call the sheriff to come have it removed.

Okay, a little bit of sarcasm there, but I could do it. I'm not sure I would, but I could. It would definitely give me some peace of mind. Miss my Rotties.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Alf

Post by Alf »

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Image
Funny, my wife bought me a T-shirt that says" Chocolate Labs Matter" I was wearing it at the Azle Wal-Mart and a fellow that was walking towards me saw it and it seemed to upset him, he said something ugly under his breath as we passed each other, my wife asked me what his problem was, told her I don't think he likes Chocolate Labs, she gave me a puzzled look, I told her I think he objects to the shirt. I honestly believe this did not turn into an altercation because I was OCing at the time.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

crazy2medic wrote:
Funny, my wife bought me a T-shirt that says" Chocolate Labs Matter" I was wearing it at the Azle Wal-Mart and a fellow that was walking towards me saw it and it seemed to upset him, he said something ugly under his breath as we passed each other, my wife asked me what his problem was, told her I don't think he likes Chocolate Labs, she gave me a puzzled look, I told her I think he objects to the shirt. I honestly believe this did not turn into an altercation because I was OCing at the time.
I stay away from Walmarts. They are not safe:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/v ... -1.2755439
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

warpdrive

Post by warpdrive »

186,000 miles per second
It's not just a good idea, it's the law.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

crazy2medic wrote:
I'm studying the psychosis known as "liberalism". I think one of the tenets is that it is wrong to believe that all people are equal. They agree with the KKK on that point. Both groups look down on anyone who does not believe that specific racial groups should be treated better than others under the law. In fact, their only disagreement is on the specific races that should get preferential treatment.

Amazingly, though, even though they are in complete agreement on this fundamental principle, they seem to somehow not get along with each other. :confused5

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”