How do you determine value of pistol for sale

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
16Adams
Posts in topic: 4

How do you determine value of pistol for sale

Post by 16Adams »

Just curious how to determine value if posted for sale. I may be about to lighten the inventory a 6" Colt Python and a Stainless Sig Sauer 1911-45-SSS. I've looked at the big Auction sites as well as Pawnbroker sale and honestly the prices are all over the place. Both are beautiful, the Sig has had 2magazines fired only. Was professional cleaned, then I got it and placed in a safe. Actually I don't find many of the Sigs for sale.
Percentage of current retail
Collector value
Rarity

It's been so long since I've sold a gun, I'm stumped :confused5

???

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How do you determine value of pistol for sale

Post by RPBrown »

The Colt is running from about 2500.00 to as high as 5500.00 (except 1 I saw for 13000.00). Depends on condition.
The Sig is running from 950.00 to 1300.00 again depending on condition
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
16Adams

Post by 16Adams »

RPBrown wrote:The Colt is running from about 2500.00 to as high as 5500.00 (except 1 I saw for 13000.00). Depends on condition.
The Sig is running from 950.00 to 1300.00 again depending on condition

Sig is like NIB-
Python is beautiful too but has been shot. I shot it last year for the first time since I acquired in I think 2001 from a friend. Maybe 20 rounds tops. Cleaned it and put it up.

But as you noted- big percentage swings in prices. Thank You.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Find some on the gun auction sites like yours and see what they are selling for and that will give you a good idea of what it's worth. Pythons are in demand and bring premium prices, blued guns bring less than Han the nickel guns.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

On the Colt, if it is blued, I would start around 3200-3500 if nickle then probably around 4000-4500.

The Sig, probably around 1000-1100.

Both of course depends on how quick you want to sell them, the condition, and whether you are willing to negotiate.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RPBrown wrote:On the Colt, if it is blued, I would start around 3200-3500 if nickle then probably around 4000-4500.

The Sig, probably around 1000-1100.

Both of course depends on how quick you want to sell them, the condition, and whether you are willing to negotiate.
I don't say this to knock your gun. The Sig 1911s are real pretty to look at. The one Sig GSR 1911 I owned, a 4" Stainless Carry (no longer offered, but similar to the TACOPS Carry, but in Stainless, same grips, but minus the rail), was a CPO pistol that had been completely refurbished by the factory. As far as I could tell, the gun LOOKED brand new.......including a brand new barrel, etc....... but it wasn't brand new as in NIB. The retail price at a local gun store was in the mid $700 range. I think I paid $749.99 for it. MSRP for a new one at the time was in the $1100-$1200 range IIRC. That was back in early to mid-2008. Even accounting for inflation, I would be surprised if you could get $1000 to $1100 for your Sig today. It isn't "NIB". It has had a very low round count put through it, but it has been fired, and it is a "used" gun, even if barely so. Again, not trying to knock it, and the Lord knows I always try to maximize ROI whenever I sell a gun, but I'm just being realistic here. Go ahead and post it at that price, but be pleasantly surprised if you get it, and don't be too disappointed if you don't.

I'll defer to others regarding the Python.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
16Adams

Post by 16Adams »

Trying to figure correct way to upload photos

Practice
Attachments
IMG_1701.JPG

Topic author
16Adams

Post by 16Adams »

Thank you all for the input. It is appreciated. I've got some decisions to make.

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

16Adams wrote:Just curious how to determine value if posted for sale. I may be about to lighten the inventory a 6" Colt Python and a Stainless Sig Sauer 1911-45-SSS. I've looked at the big Auction sites as well as Pawnbroker sale and honestly the prices are all over the place.
Collector value
Rarity
The Colt Python value is inflated b/c it is the gun Rick Grimes (main character) uses in the Walking Dead (popular TV show). Pop culture has a strong influence on the "collector value."

acronym 3/20/2017 1:13 PM

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Acronym Esq wrote:
16Adams wrote:Just curious how to determine value if posted for sale. I may be about to lighten the inventory a 6" Colt Python and a Stainless Sig Sauer 1911-45-SSS. I've looked at the big Auction sites as well as Pawnbroker sale and honestly the prices are all over the place.
Collector value
Rarity
The Colt Python value is inflated b/c it is the gun Rick Grimes (main character) uses in the Walking Dead (popular TV show). Pop culture has a strong influence on the "collector value."

acronym 3/20/2017 1:13 PM
Maybe partially true but Python values were rising prior to this show.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Value depends on what someone is willing to pay for it at the given time.

Ballpark I'd say your Sig is in the $750-$850 range, Python I am not 100% sure but I'd guess $2200-$3000. But that's what I would pay if I had the money right now. :lol::

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It's tough with these types of guns. For more common guns I generally look at low retail (i.e. Bud's) pricing for new guns add the cost of any upgrades, included holsters, etc., and then multiply that total by 80 - 90% depending on round count, and wear.

If in doubt, you can always post it for sale and then lower the price if it doesn't sell right away, and/or note that you are willing to consider reasonable offers. I usually also post here first and then expand out to other sites, because I prefer dealing with members of this forum over the general public.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”