Remington 870 project help

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Remington 870 project help

Post by Jusme »

cmgee67 wrote:Mine has the vent rib. Thanks Jusme I'll check it out. No I don't want to cut my barrel I'd rather buy an 18 inch if I went shorter. Midway has an 18 1/2 fixed improved cylinder with a bead sight for 120$. Also the scatter gun technologies extension comes with a new spring as well as follower and I'd extensively test it for reliability before HD. Also I keep 2 3/4 00 buck in it already. I would like to try the flight control I have not had a chance to yet. I think I want to duracoat the gun as well. I like magpul FDE and you can get it in aerosol with hardner already in the can. I want to do anothe gun as well with duracoat and one can does 2-4 guns. 35$ on brownells. I kryloned my AR and it turned out great! But I want to try duracoat on the shotgun to see how I like it. As far as my AR goes Im just gonna let it wear because it will look cool as time goes on. But my 870 is factory camo dipped and it's all dinged up anyway from 10 years of hard use. I'd be hard pressed to find anybody I know who has used and shot an 870 as much as I have mine.

I know most say don't mess with the 870 it's fine as is. To most yes it is but to me it's my gun and I want it to be mine and functional for my needs. It's never going anywhere.

That's one of the things I like about shotguns, is that they are almost as customizable as an AR.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Keep in mind that, after you've added up the cost of all the parts you're going to buy, you might have set aside enough for a 870 clone like AndyC's that is already configured the way you want it. The same model as AndyC's is selling at Bud's Gunshop for $207.

If you really want nice sights, go with the XS rail and ghost ring rear, and big dot tritium front......if you can. I put those on my 590A1 and love them. But, they're not for everybody, and the set costs $192, so not cheap. But if all you're looking for is a "bump in the night" pump gun, you could do a LOT worse than just dropping the $207 on a completed gun like Andy's. Of course, it won't have much use as a hunting shotgun......at least not legally.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Keep in mind that, after you've added up the cost of all the parts you're going to buy, you might have set aside enough for a 870 clone like AndyC's that is already configured the way you want it. The same model as AndyC's is selling at Bud's Gunshop for $207.

If you really want nice sights, go with the XS rail and ghost ring rear, and big dot tritium front......if you can. I put those on my 590A1 and love them. But, they're not for everybody, and the set costs $192, so not cheap. But if all you're looking for is a "bump in the night" pump gun, you could do a LOT worse than just dropping the $207 on a completed gun like Andy's. Of course, it won't have much use as a hunting shotgun......at least not legally.

It is legal to hunt with a shotgun as long as the barrel is at least 18". I wouldn't want to try it with bird shot since the pattern spreads so much faster, but there are no regulations against it. Until I took the shotgun course Saturday before last, I had not patterned my 18.5 barrel, at more than about 15 yards.
I was surprised at how well the pattern held together with the flight control rounds, and slugs were, of course, no problem at longer range. (50 yards)

BUt I agree, if your going to sink a lot of money into accessories, it may be better to just get another gun already set up the way you want it.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Keep in mind that, after you've added up the cost of all the parts you're going to buy, you might have set aside enough for a 870 clone like AndyC's that is already configured the way you want it. The same model as AndyC's is selling at Bud's Gunshop for $207.

It is legal to hunt with a shotgun as long as the barrel is at least 18".
I didn't think the barrel length would be an issue, but the magazine capacity certainly would be, unless you devised a plug for it. Also, these cheap clones (the other one Andy showed was an Ithaca 37 clone, which I bought and later sold after buying my Mossberg) tend not to have changeable chokes, so I don't know how well the shot charge would hold together at typical hunting distances, say dove.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jusme wrote:

It is legal to hunt with a shotgun as long as the barrel is at least 18".
I didn't think the barrel length would be an issue, but the magazine capacity certainly would be, unless you devised a plug for it. Also, these cheap clones (the other one Andy showed was an Ithaca 37 clone, which I bought and later sold after buying my Mossberg) tend not to have changeable chokes, so I don't know how well the shot charge would hold together at typical hunting distances, say dove.

Yeah it does require a plug, and I agree, it wouldn't be the first choice for hunting dove or anything else at greater distances.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”