Mossberg Shockwave

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
carlson1
Moderator
Posts: 8933
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Mossberg Shockwave

Postby carlson1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:08 am

What category does the Mossberg Shockwave fall? Is it a handgun or long gun? Mossberg only calls it a "firearm." Would it be legal or illegal to put in a back pack and carry past a 30.06?

IMG_6474.JPG
Image


JRG
Senior Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Mesquite, TX

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby JRG » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:22 am

It is an AOW----any other weapon. Since it has never had a shoulder stock on it, it is not subject to minimum barrel length restrictions.

Joe

User avatar

Topic author
carlson1
Moderator
Posts: 8933
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby carlson1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:26 am

JRG wrote:It is an AOW----any other weapon. Since it has never had a shoulder stock on it, it is not subject to minimum barrel length restrictions.

Joe


According to Mossberg and Bud's Gun Shop it is NOT a NFA item so no stamp needed. I believe if it was an AOW it would need a $5.00 tax stamp.


Mossberg.com wrote: Classification of the 590 Shockwave

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm. Click here to read a copy of the letter from the BATFE regarding federal classification of the Shockwave, dated 3/2/2017). NOTE: This letter only speaks to its FEDERAL status. There could be local/state laws that prohibit the sale of this gun in your state. Consult your State Police for clarification. Just as with any other pistol grip firearm, the buyer must be 21 years of age, and be a resident of the state where s/he is purchasing it.
Image

User avatar

aaangel
Senior Member
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Grand Prairie

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby aaangel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:14 am

You got me my friend! I thought you have one for sale. I was going to buy it .....again, from you "rlol"
'got to Texas ASAIC.

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts: 6501
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby anygunanywhere » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:49 am

I believe that falls under the category of mare's leg.
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 2353
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:35 pm

This is a very good question. I have one on reserve order with Bud's right now. If I ever actually get it, I was thinking of using it mostly as a car gun, but if it's not a "handgun" within the definition of 30.06, I just might need to find a small pack to carry it in.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3862
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby ScottDLS » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:This is a very good question. I have one on reserve order with Bud's right now. If I ever actually get it, I was thinking of using it mostly as a car gun, but if it's not a "handgun" within the definition of 30.06, I just might need to find a small pack to carry it in.



If you didn't do NFA paperwork on it and it's a smooth bore, then it must be a shotgun (long gun) and would not be subject to 46.02 or 30.06.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3781
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby Jusme » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:26 pm

From the Mossberg web site:
Classification of the 590 Shockwave

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm. Click here to read a copy of the letter from the BATFE regarding federal classification of the Shockwave, dated 3/2/2017). NOTE: This letter only speaks to its FEDERAL status. There could be local/state laws that prohibit the sale of this gun in your state. Consult your State Police for clarification. Just as with any other pistol grip firearm, the buyer must be 21 years of age, and be a resident of the state where s/he is purchasing it.

In Texas, for it to be legal, it must have an 18" barrel and be 26" overall.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 2353
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Jusme wrote:From the Mossberg web site:
Classification of the 590 Shockwave

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm. Click here to read a copy of the letter from the BATFE regarding federal classification of the Shockwave, dated 3/2/2017). NOTE: This letter only speaks to its FEDERAL status. There could be local/state laws that prohibit the sale of this gun in your state. Consult your State Police for clarification. Just as with any other pistol grip firearm, the buyer must be 21 years of age, and be a resident of the state where s/he is purchasing it.

In Texas, for it to be legal, it must have an 18" barrel and be 26" overall.


What is your source for the part that I bolded? These are the requirements for a "shotgun" in Texas. But I do not believe that term is defined in Texas law, and using the Federal law definition, this firearm is not a "shotgun" since it clearly is not intended to be fired from the shoulder.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

Topic author
carlson1
Moderator
Posts: 8933
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby carlson1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:This is a very good question. I have one on reserve order with Bud's right now. If I ever actually get it, I was thinking of using it mostly as a car gun, but if it's not a "handgun" within the definition of 30.06, I just might need to find a small pack to carry it in.


:iagree: my thoughts because I also have one on reserve because the price was way below MSRP.

I don't believe this is illegal in Texas. If you have a source for the law please post it. I see this at worst like an AR Pistol. Again the ATF, Bud's, and every other dealer I have read calls it a "firearm."
Image

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5616
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby ELB » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:05 pm

I find this firearm way too interesting to be good for my budget. I'm surprised AndyC didn't start this thread.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

cheezit
Senior Member
Posts: 1002
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm
Location: far n fortworh

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby cheezit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Thank you Carl. Now I know what I'm spending my bonus on.
:cheers2:

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3781
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby Jusme » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:15 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Jusme wrote:From the Mossberg web site:
Classification of the 590 Shockwave

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm. Click here to read a copy of the letter from the BATFE regarding federal classification of the Shockwave, dated 3/2/2017). NOTE: This letter only speaks to its FEDERAL status. There could be local/state laws that prohibit the sale of this gun in your state. Consult your State Police for clarification. Just as with any other pistol grip firearm, the buyer must be 21 years of age, and be a resident of the state where s/he is purchasing it.

In Texas, for it to be legal, it must have an 18" barrel and be 26" overall.


What is your source for the part that I bolded? These are the requirements for a "shotgun" in Texas. But I do not believe that term is defined in Texas law, and using the Federal law definition, this firearm is not a "shotgun" since it clearly is not intended to be fired from the shoulder.

Texas penal code 46.01 section 10

I can't get it to copy and paste properly on my phone but further down in that section, it states than unless is is an NFL licensed gun it is illegal to possess.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts: 6501
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby anygunanywhere » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Jusme wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Jusme wrote:From the Mossberg web site:
Classification of the 590 Shockwave

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm. Click here to read a copy of the letter from the BATFE regarding federal classification of the Shockwave, dated 3/2/2017). NOTE: This letter only speaks to its FEDERAL status. There could be local/state laws that prohibit the sale of this gun in your state. Consult your State Police for clarification. Just as with any other pistol grip firearm, the buyer must be 21 years of age, and be a resident of the state where s/he is purchasing it.

In Texas, for it to be legal, it must have an 18" barrel and be 26" overall.


What is your source for the part that I bolded? These are the requirements for a "shotgun" in Texas. But I do not believe that term is defined in Texas law, and using the Federal law definition, this firearm is not a "shotgun" since it clearly is not intended to be fired from the shoulder.

Texas penal code 46.01 section 10

I can't get it to copy and paste properly on my phone but further down in that section, it states than unless is is an NFL licensed gun it is illegal to possess.


Umm, the NFL licenses guns?
:biggrinjester:
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3781
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Postby Jusme » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
Jusme wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Jusme wrote:From the Mossberg web site:
Classification of the 590 Shockwave

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm. Click here to read a copy of the letter from the BATFE regarding federal classification of the Shockwave, dated 3/2/2017). NOTE: This letter only speaks to its FEDERAL status. There could be local/state laws that prohibit the sale of this gun in your state. Consult your State Police for clarification. Just as with any other pistol grip firearm, the buyer must be 21 years of age, and be a resident of the state where s/he is purchasing it.

In Texas, for it to be legal, it must have an 18" barrel and be 26" overall.


What is your source for the part that I bolded? These are the requirements for a "shotgun" in Texas. But I do not believe that term is defined in Texas law, and using the Federal law definition, this firearm is not a "shotgun" since it clearly is not intended to be fired from the shoulder.

Texas penal code 46.01 section 10

I can't get it to copy and paste properly on my phone but further down in that section, it states than unless is is an NFL licensed gun it is illegal to possess.


Umm, the NFL licenses guns?
:biggrinjester:


LOL phone autocorrect got me again.
Let's try NFA
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests