Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

nimravus01
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Post by nimravus01 »

carlson1 wrote:
nimravus01 wrote:
cyphertext wrote: The new law is effective September 1, although they could be legal now... some shops have sold them and some are in the wild here in Texas.
I just picked up a Shockwave from my local store. It even comes with a copy of the letter from the ATF in the box. I'm going to go shoot it on my buddy's land, however, I think I'll skip the public range until SEPT 1 just to play it safe.
BATFE was never in question it was Texas Law which has been cleared up and will take effect on September 1.

Yeah, I know that. I was just letting the group know that my local dealer just sold one to me.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by treadlightly »

Pawpaw wrote:Clint Smith's take on the Shockwave.

Interesting firearm/shotgun/whatever you want to call it. I'll give it a pass for now, since an AR15 would be a better priority and I don't have one of those, either.

Any gun with new characteristics is worth being extra careful with. In that youtube video I learned that strap isn't for recoil control, which was my initial assumption. I thought keeping one's weak hand at the forward extent of the strap would help absorb the kick, but the real reason is to keep your hand from slipping off the front of the gun when cycling it. That would leave the forward part of the gun unsupported, and I can see how unintentional discharge into your own hand could happen.

The answer is pretty obvious. Keep your trigger control pure, and use the strap to keep your hand behind the muzzle.

But did anyone else notice something in that video? He shoots his last shell at 6:37 and cycles the action. I was a little concerned the trigger was not properly controlled in the remaining video, waving around next to his clothes, but then at 8:02 he demonstrates how the shooter's hand can slip forward off the gun and in front of the muzzle. At that point I think he is supporting the gun with his strong hand only. His trigger finger is not on the trigger, but I'm pretty sure his left hand is forward of the muzzle with a chambered round.

Supporting the gun with the strong hand might make trigger finger discipline a little more difficult, too.

Maybe I'm being picky. Depth perception in video is difficult. He could have had his hand far enough off-axis from the muzzle to avoid injury. Dunno. Just seemed iffy.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

In PawPaw's video(thank you!) Clint was holding the gun as if there were an imaginary buttstock on it. Make sense to me. It's certainly not a handheld gun, unless you have super strength to handle the recoil. No, I think I'll pass on it.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
ELB wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
nyj wrote:So what's the verdict?
Will be legal in Texas on September 1st of this year. The Legislature passed a bill, which Gov Abbott signed, which cleared up the definitions to make guns like the Shockwave and Remington's TAC-14 legal.
It might be legal now. Definitely legal in Sep.
I'll have to look into it. I thought that the law was effective 9/1, but I may not remember correctly.
The new law is effective on 1 Sep, you were and are correct on that.

All I was saying is that the Shockwave may be legal under current law. Everyone worries that the Shockwave might be a "shotgun" under current Texas law, but it might not as well. Distributors didn't want to ship because they didn't know which way a court might jump, didn't want to be the "test case." Recall that the Texas AG was asked to officially opine on this, but since the Leg acted, he only needs to issue a letter that says "Problem solved!"
USAF 1982-2005

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Pawpaw »

joe817 wrote:In PawPaw's video(thank you!) Clint was holding the gun as if there were an imaginary buttstock on it. Make sense to me. It's certainly not a handheld gun, unless you have super strength to handle the recoil. No, I think I'll pass on it.
How about one in each hand?

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 14

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pawpaw wrote:
joe817 wrote:In PawPaw's video(thank you!) Clint was holding the gun as if there were an imaginary buttstock on it. Make sense to me. It's certainly not a handheld gun, unless you have super strength to handle the recoil. No, I think I'll pass on it.
How about one in each hand?

One thing is for sure......if I get one, I won't be putting that oversized Elite Tactical Advantage safety switch you convinced me to put on my 590A1. If the OEM safety switch can bite you, that other one will take a big chunk out of you:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

Just put a box of shells through mine. I gotta say I'm impressed. It's not as punishing as I thought it would be. It's going to take some practice to get a good technique, but, right out of the box I was hitting the target relatively well. I think a light/laser combo is going to be my next purchase.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:One thing is for sure......if I get one, I won't be putting that oversized Elite Tactical Advantage safety switch you convinced me to put on my 590A1. If the OEM safety switch can bite you, that other one will take a big chunk out of you:
I had exactly the same thought. I love that safety on my 500 & 930 SPX. but if I got a Shockwave, I'd put the aluminum Mossberg safety on it. (I still have my doubts about the plastic safety that comes on everything but the 590A1.)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

puma guy
Posts in topic: 17

Post by puma guy »

This one has my name on it.

Last edited by puma guy on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote:This one has my name on it.

Nice! I'm just a little jealous.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:This one has my name on it.

Nice! I'm just a little jealous.
You've evoked that emotion in me several times, TAM! :lol:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I got one from a Houston gun shop last week. When I picked it up, I also got some interesting legal advice, which basically boiled down to "it's legal to have at home and at a range now, but you can't carry it in your car until September 1." I'm pretty sure that the person at the shop who told me this is not a lawyer, so I will take that advice for what it's worth.

I have not shot it yet, but I did see on another forum where a guy managed to get his hand cut up by the safety, so he filed down the rough edges on the back of the switch. I may try doing that, as well as adding a laser / light combo. Just need to get a top rail, and will then mount it upside down.

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

Marksman Firearms in Killeen has one on the shelf for sale right now.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I got one from a Houston gun shop last week. When I picked it up, I also got some interesting legal advice, which basically boiled down to "it's legal to have at home and at a range now, but you can't carry it in your car until September 1." I'm pretty sure that the person at the shop who told me this is not a lawyer, so I will take that advice for what it's worth.

I have not shot it yet, but I did see on another forum where a guy managed to get his hand cut up by the safety, so he filed down the rough edges on the back of the switch. I may try doing that, as well as adding a laser / light combo. Just need to get a top rail, and will then mount it upside down.
my FFL will not complete the sale for mine until September 1. :headscratch

The Annoyed Man

However your FFL handles it, the thing is that there is no federal violation for buying one now. It's strictly a Texas violation.....until September 1st, after which the violation ceases to exist. So from your FFL's perspective, they need not fear ATF.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”