Mossberg Shockwave

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 21

Mossberg Shockwave

Post by carlson1 »

What category does the Mossberg Shockwave fall? Is it a handgun or long gun? Mossberg only calls it a "firearm." Would it be legal or illegal to put in a back pack and carry past a 30.06?
IMG_6474.JPG

JRG
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Post by JRG »

It is an AOW----any other weapon. Since it has never had a shoulder stock on it, it is not subject to minimum barrel length restrictions.

Joe

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

JRG wrote:It is an AOW----any other weapon. Since it has never had a shoulder stock on it, it is not subject to minimum barrel length restrictions.

Joe
According to Mossberg and Bud's Gun Shop it is NOT a NFA item so no stamp needed. I believe if it was an AOW it would need a $5.00 tax stamp.

Mossberg.com wrote: Classification of the 590 Shockwave

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm. Click here to read a copy of the letter from the BATFE regarding federal classification of the Shockwave, dated 3/2/2017). NOTE: This letter only speaks to its FEDERAL status. There could be local/state laws that prohibit the sale of this gun in your state. Consult your State Police for clarification. Just as with any other pistol grip firearm, the buyer must be 21 years of age, and be a resident of the state where s/he is purchasing it.

aaangel
Posts in topic: 5

Post by aaangel »

You got me my friend! I thought you have one for sale. I was going to buy it .....again, from you "rlol"
'got to Texas ASAIC.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I believe that falls under the category of mare's leg.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This is a very good question. I have one on reserve order with Bud's right now. If I ever actually get it, I was thinking of using it mostly as a car gun, but if it's not a "handgun" within the definition of 30.06, I just might need to find a small pack to carry it in.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:This is a very good question. I have one on reserve order with Bud's right now. If I ever actually get it, I was thinking of using it mostly as a car gun, but if it's not a "handgun" within the definition of 30.06, I just might need to find a small pack to carry it in.

If you didn't do NFA paperwork on it and it's a smooth bore, then it must be a shotgun (long gun) and would not be subject to 46.02 or 30.06.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jusme
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Jusme »

From the Mossberg web site:
Classification of the 590 Shockwave

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm. Click here to read a copy of the letter from the BATFE regarding federal classification of the Shockwave, dated 3/2/2017). NOTE: This letter only speaks to its FEDERAL status. There could be local/state laws that prohibit the sale of this gun in your state. Consult your State Police for clarification. Just as with any other pistol grip firearm, the buyer must be 21 years of age, and be a resident of the state where s/he is purchasing it.

In Texas, for it to be legal, it must have an 18" barrel and be 26" overall.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jusme wrote:From the Mossberg web site:

What is your source for the part that I bolded? These are the requirements for a "shotgun" in Texas. But I do not believe that term is defined in Texas law, and using the Federal law definition, this firearm is not a "shotgun" since it clearly is not intended to be fired from the shoulder.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:This is a very good question. I have one on reserve order with Bud's right now. If I ever actually get it, I was thinking of using it mostly as a car gun, but if it's not a "handgun" within the definition of 30.06, I just might need to find a small pack to carry it in.
:iagree: my thoughts because I also have one on reserve because the price was way below MSRP.

I don't believe this is illegal in Texas. If you have a source for the law please post it. I see this at worst like an AR Pistol. Again the ATF, Bud's, and every other dealer I have read calls it a "firearm."

ELB

Post by ELB »

I find this firearm way too interesting to be good for my budget. I'm surprised AndyC didn't start this thread.
USAF 1982-2005

cheezit
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cheezit »

Thank you Carl. Now I know what I'm spending my bonus on.
:cheers2:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:

What is your source for the part that I bolded? These are the requirements for a "shotgun" in Texas. But I do not believe that term is defined in Texas law, and using the Federal law definition, this firearm is not a "shotgun" since it clearly is not intended to be fired from the shoulder.
Texas penal code 46.01 section 10

I can't get it to copy and paste properly on my phone but further down in that section, it states than unless is is an NFL licensed gun it is illegal to possess.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Jusme wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I can't get it to copy and paste properly on my phone but further down in that section, it states than unless is is an NFL licensed gun it is illegal to possess.
Umm, the NFL licenses guns?
:biggrinjester:
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Jusme wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

Umm, the NFL licenses guns?
:biggrinjester:
LOL phone autocorrect got me again.
Let's try NFA

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”