Mossberg Shockwave

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

nimravus01
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Post by nimravus01 »

I finally got out and patterned some buck shot with my Shockwave. For a 14" cylinder bore, at 7 yrds, (typical home defense range,) the spread is pretty tight. I'm liking the #4 buck. Recoil is not that bad and aimed shots are manageable. I'd like to get a laser/light setup on this firearm too.

After doing the buck shot tests, I loaded some bird shot and did some thrown clay shooting and didn't do too bad. I don't think I'll be using it for dove season, though. lol!

rotor
Posts in topic: 8

Post by rotor »

After reading this long thread clarify for me whether this firearm will be legal (9/1) to carry in a guncase of some kind or will the only legal way to transport it would be with it out in the open? I can see the little old lady man with a gun calls now. I carry my shotguns in a case whenever I travel. This firearm may be illegal to carry in a case. More problems.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

rotor wrote:After reading this long thread clarify for me whether this firearm will be legal (9/1) to carry in a guncase of some kind or will the only legal way to transport it would be with it out in the open? I can see the little old lady man with a gun calls now. I carry my shotguns in a case whenever I travel. This firearm may be illegal to carry in a case. More problems.

From my understanding, and I'm far from a layer, or legal scholar, this type of firearm, was specifically, designated to be legal to carry, due to its designation from the ATFE. I don't know that it was specifically, considered "illegal", but there was a question, prior to the bill during the last session. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

apostate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apostate »

You may want to read what the ATF wrote about carrying one concealed.
http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uplo ... 3-2-17.pdf

von Clausewitz
Posts in topic: 3

Post by von Clausewitz »

The warped laws we have to try and navigate...

I love this weapon...it is specialized and useful...

JRG
Posts in topic: 11

Post by JRG »

apostate wrote:You may want to read what the ATF wrote about carrying one concealed.
http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uplo ... 3-2-17.pdf

I am only reading that the classification could change with concealing the Shockwave on the person. Doesn't say that it would be a problem with concealing it off body.

Joe

rotor

Post by rotor »

Jusme wrote:
rotor wrote:After reading this long thread clarify for me whether this firearm will be legal (9/1) to carry in a guncase of some kind or will the only legal way to transport it would be with it out in the open? I can see the little old lady man with a gun calls now. I carry my shotguns in a case whenever I travel. This firearm may be illegal to carry in a case. More problems.

From my understanding, and I'm far from a layer, or legal scholar, this type of firearm, was specifically, designated to be legal to carry, due to its designation from the ATFE. I don't know that it was specifically, considered "illegal", but there was a question, prior to the bill during the last session. JMHO
Mossberg site says if concealed it is an A.O.W.
https://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/upl ... ACTION.pdf
So how does one transport this without scaring the population at large? Even putting it in a back pack would appear to make it an A.O.W. as far as ATF is concerned. We are going to need some method to carry this. I am sticking to my new Mossberg Maverick 88 but I am curious about all firearms.

von Clausewitz

Post by von Clausewitz »

rotor wrote:
Jusme wrote:

So how does one transport this without scaring the population at large? Even putting it in a back pack would appear to make it an A.O.W. as far as ATF is concerned. We are going to need some method to carry this. I am sticking to my new Mossberg Maverick 88 but I am curious about all firearms.
If one does not have a Texas LTC and wants to take a weapon to the range, is it concealed carry to put the gun in a case and walk down the street enroute to the range?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rotor wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Well it's shipped in a box in a delivery truck, then carried in a box by the delivery person into a retail store / FFL dealer. The dealer then transports that same weapon, in a box to the counter and either unboxes it for display or further transports this weapon, in a box into the store room. So carrying it in a box is probably OK. Either that, or there are a ton of felons across the country masquerading as FFL dealers and UPS/Fed Ex delivery drivers.

Not sure what is so special about a box as opposed to a backpack or gun case. But if folks are really worried about it, I suppose they could refuse to let the FFL dealer put it back in a box at the store, then drive home holding it out the window of their car since it might not be fully visible, and therefore concealed near you, if it is anywhere in your car. Also make sure you don't put it in a gun case in your home, unless it is a cabinet with a glass door that is clearly visible from outside your house. Doing anything else risks THE RIDE!!!!!!!

von Clausewitz

Post by von Clausewitz »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rotor wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Well it's shipped in a box in a delivery truck, then carried in a box by the delivery person into a retail store / FFL dealer. The dealer then transports that same weapon, in a box to the counter and either unboxes it for display or further transports this weapon, in a box into the store room. So carrying it in a box is probably OK. Either that, or there are a ton of felons across the country masquerading as FFL dealers and UPS/Fed Ex delivery drivers.

Not sure what is so special about a box as opposed to a backpack or gun case. But if folks are really worried about it, I suppose they could refuse to let the FFL dealer put it back in a box at the store, then drive home holding it out the window of their car since it might not be fully visible, and therefore concealed near you, if it is anywhere in your car. Also make sure you don't put it in a gun case in your home, unless it is a cabinet with a glass door that is clearly visible from outside your house. Doing anything else risks THE RIDE!!!!!!!
Thank you

rotor

Post by rotor »

All I am asking is how does one legally carry it? It is a question only. Legally as far as ATF.

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 21

Post by carlson1 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rotor wrote:
Jusme wrote:

:smilelol5:

allisji
Posts in topic: 4

Post by allisji »

von Clausewitz wrote:
rotor wrote:
Jusme wrote:

If one does not have a Texas LTC and wants to take a weapon to the range, is it concealed carry to put the gun in a case and walk down the street enroute to the range?
If I recall correctly, traveling to and from the range is related to a sporting activity. It is not illegal to carry a handgun without an LTC to and from the range, but you better be on a direct route to the range or have a receipt from the range if you are on the way home. Did the AG opinion indicate that the Shockwave be considered a handgun?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The shockwave is not considered a handgun, it was designated as an "other" firearm. Since it was not modified, is not designed to be shoulder fired, and requires no NFA stamp, The ATFE, did not list it as prohibited. Texas simply modified their statutes, to basically make it not illegal, as a "short barreled shotgun." by accepting the ATFE ruling on the gun.

My advice, and again, I'm not a lawyer, would be, if you plan to carry it in your truck/car, or anywhere outside your home, would be to print out the new statute, and keep it with you. Not all LEO will be up to speed, on the law, right away. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

rotor

Post by rotor »

von Clausewitz wrote:
rotor wrote:
Jusme wrote:

I am specifically referring to Federal law about carrying it concealed. You are quoting Texas law. Just because it is shipped to a store in a box does not mean Mr. Citizen can carry this around in a box or a violin case without it being considered an A.O.W. by the feds even on the way to the range. Federal laws are far from logical and probably easy to break and hard to catch. Look at all the people going to the post office every day. Probably a lot of them with guns in their glovebox. I personally do not plan on buying one of these but I was curious about how one could carry it and even if it was ATF legal to carry in a guncase. I am of the belief that it is not. LTC laws are not applicable in this case.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”