Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 8

Husqvarna 450 Chainsaw 18" - Got One?

Post by Abraham »

If so, how do you like it?

I've been using an 18" Husqvarna 340 for years. Since it's long in the tooth, but yes, still operating perfectly, after 10 years of use, I fear nothing lasts forever, and I've got a lot of sawing still to do, I'm looking at the 450.

Oh, to be clear, there are about 3 - 450 models, such as the 450e. I'm only interested in the plain 450 as it comes with the old style chain tightening that I find superior to the new "tool-less" style of chain tightening.

Plus, yes, no doubt Stihl is the Rolls Royce of chainsaws, but they're so ludicrously over priced I refuse to buy one. Husqvarna is at least a Mercedes Benz in a quality comparison (if not an equal) and is far more reasonably priced.

O.K. I've blathered on enough.

What say you?

Thanks!

Mods: I meant to post this in the "Off-Topic" section - please move at your convenience and my apologies for my error!!

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Husqvarna 450 Chainsaw 18" - Got One?

Post by WTR »

My BIL has the 450 and I have the 455(found at a great price on Amazon). We are both very pleased.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I have had an 18" Husky for a few years now. I think it is the 450. It works well, but if I had it to do over again, I would get the model 455. The engine is a bit larger and the chain itself is a bit more robust on the 455 (larger kerf).
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

After having Mac engines on go-karts as a kid I bought a little McCulloch chainsaw that lasted forever, well until I loaned it to a friend of my parents who brought it back ruined. I then bought a Sears model. The first one lasted quite a while and I bought another one that I had to send in immediately because it wouldn't stay running. They finally got it fixed and I used it until my son in law ruined it. Bought another Sears (a 20in) on sale, but it's just not a good saw. Got a used Stihl from friend when he sold his farm and it's a champ. I don't know any thing about Husqvarna equipment but they made some great bikes.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

I have been running the Husky 562 XP for a few years. Enough umph to run a 24" bar when required and very well powered with a 20" bar. I ran a 455 Rancher before that. The 562 is twice the saw. Really worth every penny. Of course if you are not using it a lot, it is hard to justify a $800 saw.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

I know you have a white beard, but c'mon, ya gotta groom a little...ya don't want yer hair gettin caught in the chain...

Anyway, thanks for the laugh!

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Does anyone know if non-CARB compliant is better than CARB-compliant in a chain saw?

(or anything else for that matter...?)

I have a sneaking suspicion that CARB-compliant may possibly mean that either a machine is so overly loaded with gadgets in order to be "eco-friendly" such gadgets dramatically weaken machine efficiency and/or cause all sorts of problems or CARB-compliant is THE WAY to go if available...

Or not.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

Abraham wrote:
Plus, yes, no doubt Stihl is the Rolls Royce of chainsaws, but they're so ludicrously over priced I refuse to buy one. Husqvarna is at least a Mercedes Benz in a quality comparison (if not an equal) and is far more reasonably priced.

O.K. I've blathered on enough.

What say you?
I ran a Husqvarna for years. About 3 years ago I blocked 4 cords in one day. My saw overheated and died. It cranked again after cooling off, but never made full power again. Did I abuse it? Maybe. But I cleaned the air filter and cooling fins several times that day.

I had never owned a Stihl, but I went and bought one. I decided on one of the new models that had the easy crank feature. The pull rope winds a spring and you don't have to pull very hard, or very fast. It takes about a pull and a half to fully wind the spring. Once the spring is wound, it spins the motor to crank it. No more yanking like heck on the rope, no more wore out shoulder. And it cranks every time. It's worth the extra money to me.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Abraham wrote:Does anyone know if non-CARB compliant is better than CARB-compliant in a chain saw?

(or anything else for that matter...?)

I have a sneaking suspicion that CARB-compliant may possibly mean that either a machine is so overly loaded with gadgets in order to be "eco-friendly" such gadgets dramatically weaken machine efficiency and/or cause all sorts of problems or CARB-compliant is THE WAY to go if available...

Or not.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
I think CARB refers to California Air Resources Board. To me, that alone would answer your question.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Lynyrd,

You got me interested in Stihl.

What size, model, year, etc did you buy?

Thanks!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Abraham,
Let me know how much you want for your 340.

I had a Husqvarna 22" saw (I think it was a 450??) that I ran for 20+ years. Lived in the woods of NC and cut plenty of trees and firewood. Came to TX and my beloved wife loaned that saw to a neighbor while I was overseas on a business trip. When it ran out of the gas that was in it, he ran straight gas in it for the minute it took to kill it. He was grinding a stump with it, adding insult to injury.

Wife bought me a Stihl to replace it. MS250. I don't need the bigger saw where I live now. I've had it 5 years now and every time I go to use it I need to either service or replace the carburetor. Given that my Husky lasted 20 years needing only chains and a bar, I'm pretty confident that it's not an owner problem. I will never buy another Stihl chainsaw. YMMV.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

RoyGBiv,

At the moment and I mean just a moment ago, not counting shower time, I ran my 340 further cutting down the cottonwood tree stump in my back yard. It was 3 1/2 ' high - now 3'- it's diameter is huge. My 340 is still going like a top. I've no plans to sell it. However, I rarely (in the last 25/30 years or so) sell anything I own. I usually give it away, if I no longer have a use for it...

Since my mechanical skills are meager, I'm a preventive maintenance fanatic. Oil gets changed early, so too all filters, air and fuel. Plus, with my chain saw I run only pre-mixed fuel. This stuff is terrific. Once a can is opened it's good for 2 years and 5 unopened. Of course, it's also quite expensive, but if you're an infrequent user, it's a reasonable fuel choice. Lately though, I'm on a project of cutting down and up for that matter, the cottonwood trees in my back yard as their roots are causing me grief. They grow above ground the size of ship's hawsers and are miserable to roll and mow over...very, very carefully I might add. No more of that crap. So far, I've taken out three and two more to go. I use a come along winch, chains, and a dead man to get them to fall where I want. Works like a charm.

I'll stop, posting about tree/firewood cutting, etc. is something I like almost as much as shooting.

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

Abraham, is this in response to that big ol tree you have to beat into submission? Been there, still doing that.

Watch out for the back, that work is hard on the back, and knees, and feet, and hands................. :cheers2:

I have found the best chainsaw to be charcoal and lighter fluid. :biggrinjester:

OK, seriously now. I have learned, after owning the expensive brands and the cheap brands, there wasn't much difference as far as performance. If I had to do it again, I would buy a cheap one and when the job is finished, hang onto it and MAYBE it will work next time. If not, throw it away and buy a new one. It won't hurt too bad if you only spent minimal on it. Of course this works best if you only have to use a chainsaw 1-2 a year. Or maybe go 5 years or so without needing one. My expensive ones were good but if you let it sit for a long time, you will likely have problems with any model, especially 2 strokes.

Now if one is needing a chainsaw a lot, I would opt for an expensive one. I try to avoid chainsaws and shovels. I think I'm allergic to em now.
Just some guy's opinion.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

Abraham wrote:Lynyrd,

You got me interested in Stihl.

What size, model, year, etc did you buy?

Thanks!
I'm not at home, and can't look at the saw right now. I "think" its a MS 251 C, but that may not be exactly right. I do know for sure that is has an 18" bar, and it's designed in a way that you tighten the chain without ANY tools. It's the easiest cranking saw I've ever used and I've probably sawed 200-300 cords of wood in my lifetime. As for the year model, it would be about 3 years old, so make it a 2014. I paid less than $400 for it from Atwoods farm and ranch store in Tyler.

The only bad thing that has happened with this saw is that my Oregon chains won't fit it. I gave them to my brother for his Husqvarna. Stihl sprockets have a different set up on the teeth and you have to use a chain that fits a Stihl.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”