What Do Texas Rangers Carry?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

stash
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What Do Texas Rangers Carry?

Post by stash »

If you want some good insight as what the Texas Rangers carry, carried read the book One Ranger by Joaquin Jackson, RIP. Also contains some really good information about the Texas Rangers in general. Jackson really liked his guns and carried a lot of them, mostly in the trunk of his vehicle.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

The Annoyed Man wrote:They carry one of these:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/ho ... 150172.php
Chambers County District Attorney Cheryl Leick is awed by Haralson.

"I started calling him, 'Gus,' from 'Lonesome Dove,' " she said, alluding to the character in Larry McMurtry's novel.

"His character is a retired Texas Ranger from the Old West days, who is tall and a badass, and has a booming voice, and always has a story to tell," she continued. "What is so funny about Joe is he is not a braggart or anything.

"He is very humble. He is not one to try and make you think he is a badass - he just is. "
That article is behind a paywall. Here is a free version of same for those of us who are not subscribers.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

If you are ever in Waco, I suggest a half day at the Texas Rangers Museum. May pistols on display, and you'll be amazed at the engraving and detail work that went into these officer's EDC pistols.....

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

stash wrote:If you want some good insight as what the Texas Rangers carry, carried read the book One Ranger by Joaquin Jackson, RIP. Also contains some really good information about the Texas Rangers in general. Jackson really liked his guns and carried a lot of them, mostly in the trunk of his vehicle.
I read his book a while back. One thing I remember is his like of the .22 WMR cartridge.
NRA Endowment Member

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

EastTexasRancher wrote:If you are ever in Waco, I suggest a half day at the Texas Rangers Museum. May pistols on display, and you'll be amazed at the engraving and detail work that went into these officer's EDC pistols.....
:iagree: The museum has some very impressive displays.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

EastTexasRancher wrote:If you are ever in Waco, I suggest a half day at the Texas Rangers Museum. May pistols on display, and you'll be amazed at the engraving and detail work that went into these officer's EDC pistols.....
:iagree: Great place to visit. Stopping there was my price for accompanying the wife to Magnolia Farm in Waco.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Vol Texan wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:They carry one of these:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/ho ... 150172.php
Chambers County District Attorney Cheryl Leick is awed by Haralson.

"I started calling him, 'Gus,' from 'Lonesome Dove,' " she said, alluding to the character in Larry McMurtry's novel.

"His character is a retired Texas Ranger from the Old West days, who is tall and a badass, and has a booming voice, and always has a story to tell," she continued. "What is so funny about Joe is he is not a braggart or anything.

"He is very humble. He is not one to try and make you think he is a badass - he just is. "
That article is behind a paywall. Here is a free version of same for those of us who are not subscribers.
That's weird. I am not a subscriber. I did a google search for images on "texas rangers law enforcement". The picture at the top of that article showed up, and I clicked to view the page, and was taken directly to it without a paywall in the way.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:That's weird. I am not a subscriber. I did a google search for images on "texas rangers law enforcement". The picture at the top of that article showed up, and I clicked to view the page, and was taken directly to it without a paywall in the way.
No paywall for me, either.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Q: What Do Texas Rangers Carry?
A: Big stick? :biggrinjester:

I was reading some stuff about Texas Rangers weapons, apparently quite a few used to carry the Ruger Mini-14.

Surprising to me that the Ranger force is only 162 commissioned Rangers.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

E10

Post by E10 »

A little while ago I was completing a purchase in Office Depot when a man joined the line at the register. Something caught my eye - the baseplates of two 1911 magazines in a tooled leather carrier on the man's western-style gun belt. I continued to examine the gentleman's dress - cowboy boots, western-cut slacks, dress shirt, four-in-hand tie, silverbelly cowboy hat, and a little silver wagon wheel star on his chest. "Hey," I proclaimed, "you're a Texas Ranger!" "Yes, I am," he affirmed, seemingly pleased that I had noticed. He turned out to be one of our three local Rangers, Royal McMullin, a nice guy and polite enough to let me shake his hand and jaw a bit without showing any annoyance whatsoever. Never did get a good look at his sidearm, but from the mags I'm sure it was a 1911. Another Ranger I met recently also had a one on his belt.

We occasionally see 'em at Starbuck's, and after reading Joaquin Jackson's two books, I've thought about askin' what they're carryin' in the trunks of their state cars.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am assuming they have removed their 30.06? It was definitely was on the door a few years ago. We visited the Dr. Pepper museum and when we arrived at the Texas Ranger Museum it was properly posted.

ELB

Post by ELB »

carlson1 wrote:
I am assuming they have removed their 30.06? It was definitely was on the door a few years ago. We visited the Dr. Pepper museum and when we arrived at the Texas Ranger Museum it was properly posted.

?!

I visited the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco a few years ago also, and it was not posted at that time, but I have no idea if my "few years ago" was before or after yours. I don't remember when it was exactly, just that it has been since the year 2010. I will be sorely disappointed if they are posted. It was a pretty good tour. More 1911s in one place than I had ever seen before.
USAF 1982-2005

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

ELB wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

?!

I visited the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco a few years ago also, and it was not posted at that time, but I have no idea if my "few years ago" was before or after yours. I don't remember when it was exactly, just that it has been since the year 2010. I will be sorely disappointed if they are posted. It was a pretty good tour. More 1911s in one place than I had ever seen before.
It's not posted according to Texas3006 app.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

If you google the ranger museum and then select 'see photos' from the panel, one of them is a hi-res photo of the front of the building, dated January 2017. No 06/07 signage present. Since the museum is on the grounds of the Ranger Company F compound, I presume it's state property.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Crash wrote:Saw an older gentleman in my favorite watering hole yesterday wearing a bib-front western shirt, a straw cowboy hat and packin' a 1911 of some kind. His belt and holster had Texas star conchos, but he was not wearing--at least that I could see--a Texas ranger badge. The pistol was not cocked an locked and it did not have a grip safety. Can somebody tell me what Texas rangers carry?

Crash
Sure it wasn't just a holster and belt with the concho on it and not a Ranger? I know I've seen a couple of holster makers with that option and I've thought about ordering one for my 1911.
The Annoyed Man wrote:That's weird. I am not a subscriber. I did a google search for images on "texas rangers law enforcement". The picture at the top of that article showed up, and I clicked to view the page, and was taken directly to it without a paywall in the way.
The first time I went to that link I got the paywall but not the second time. Usually I get around it by doing a Google search and viewed the cached page. Good read though. Now I want to visit the Texas Ranger Museum that I have seen signs forever for but have never been.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”