Anybody daily carry a single action revolver?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Anybody daily carry a single action revolver?

Post by Mxrdad »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here's the thing about single action revolvers....... when double action pistols became commonly available, people started carrying those. When the broom handle Mauser 9mm came on the scene, you started seeing those in old west. When the 1911 arrived on the scene, people started carrying those too. There is a reason people abandoned their SA revolvers for DA revolvers, and then semiauto pistols. Sure, there continued to be old-timers who preferred their SA revolvers, but they became and are today the exception rather than the rule. The reason? The newer guns are much better self-defense pistols. I own 4 revolvers, all double action, but I carry a semiauto. If I had to carry a revolver, it would be a DA. It would be nice to own a nice SAA Colt or replica of one some day, but I would only carry such a pistol as a last resort, because I don't carry a gun to show off. I carry one for self defense.
Just curious, taking semi's out of the equation, what is the difference pro's/cons between SA vs DA as far as EDC?
Just some guy's opinion.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Mxrdad wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Here's the thing about single action revolvers....... when double action pistols became commonly available, people started carrying those. When the broom handle Mauser 9mm came on the scene, you started seeing those in old west. When the 1911 arrived on the scene, people started carrying those too. There is a reason people abandoned their SA revolvers for DA revolvers, and then semiauto pistols. Sure, there continued to be old-timers who preferred their SA revolvers, but they became and are today the exception rather than the rule. The reason? The newer guns are much better self-defense pistols. I own 4 revolvers, all double action, but I carry a semiauto. If I had to carry a revolver, it would be a DA. It would be nice to own a nice SAA Colt or replica of one some day, but I would only carry such a pistol as a last resort, because I don't carry a gun to show off. I carry one for self defense.
Just curious, taking semi's out of the equation, what is the difference pro's/cons between SA vs DA as far as EDC?
Excuse me for butting in, but there are a couple of major differences between SA vs DA revolvers used for self defense.

1 - The SA requires cocking the trigger prior to each shot. In a self defense situation that is a disadvantage.
It may be difficult or even impossible to cock the hammer in a close encounter. Also the possibility of an AD or errant shot is greater with a cocked hammer.
2 - DA revolvers are much quicker to reload than a SA. With a speed loader [not possible with a SA] reloading is even faster.
In a SD situation it could be the difference between life and death. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Jusme wrote:
rotor wrote:I don't have a SA revolver but watch this guy

Yeah I saw him empty one pistol reholster, draw and fire his second pistol in something like 4 seconds. If I could shoot like that, I might carry one.

Not impressed with his accuracy. Dextericy yes.

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

WildBill wrote:
Mxrdad wrote:
Excuse me for butting in, but there are a couple of major differences between SA vs DA revolvers used for self defense.

1 - The SA requires cocking the trigger prior to each shot. In a self defense situation that is a disadvantage.
It may be difficult or even impossible to cock the hammer in a close encounter. Also the possibility of an AD or errant shot is greater with a cocked hammer.
2 - DA revolvers are much quicker to reload than a SA. With a speed loader [not possible with a SA] reloading is even faster.
In a SD situation it could be the difference between life and death. :tiphat:
Cool, thanks and don't think its butting in at all. I didn't realize there were no speed loaders for SA. I think I'll stick with my ol 1911's. :thumbs2:
Just some guy's opinion.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I didn't realize there were no speed loaders for SA.
Revolver speedloaders essentially require you to have access to multiple (if not all) chambers in the cylinder at one time. Most single-action revolvers are loaded/unloaded one chamber at a time through the loading gate. One notable exception is the S&W Schofield revolver which used a top-break frame. Conceptually, at least, you should be able to use a speedloader with that gun. You'd still be required to manually cock the hammer before each shot, though.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I carry one. El Paso Saddlery Doc Holliday holster.

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defense/a ... ta-tables/

Average number of shots fired in self defense - 2

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I carry semi-autos to make up for my various pistolero shortcomings. I've owned a Ruger New Model Blackhawk (.357, 6.5"), and if I was Thell Reed (center) or Jack Weaver (right) I would have carried it. But I'm not, so I don't. :oops:

member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

stroo

Post by stroo »

Everyone has to be comfortable with their own choices, but if we went by averages, I wouldn't carry a gun. The likelihood that I will ever need to defend myself given my lifestyle is extremely low.

Given that I am planning for an unlikely event that would have horrific consequences if it occurred, I would rather carry a gun that I can shoot accurately, with a significant capacity, of a significant caliber, that I can conceal and that can be easily reloaded. A SA revolver in any caliber only fits one of those requirements, I can shoot them accurately. My Semi-autos and J Frames fit all of those requirements, some better than others. So personally, I wouldn't carry a SA revolver.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

This is an interesting addition to this thread, tonite I saw a young man carry a single action revolver in Walmart, looked like a Ruger, he was carrying it in the 2 oclock position.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Anybody daily carry a flintlock? :smilelol5:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

The big disadvantages have already been mentioned: slower to reload. slower to fire, and decocking safety risk.

The reloading problem could be compensated for by carrying multiple handguns (something I do regularly) , but the other disadvantages remain. In fact, one of the multiple revolvers I carry is a single action -- a NAA mini in my pocket. Reloading it isn't an issue, and the capacity/caliber issues are not that relevant either. The reason I carry it is for quick accessibility at close range, and to buy time to draw something else. Decocking it remains a safety concern.

I understand the cool factor with big SA revolvers. I owned a new model Blackhawk for a while, and thought about carrying it, just because. But I wasn't willing to invest in additional holsters. In hindsight, there was nothing that Blackhawk could do that a GP100 couldn't do better.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Lena

Post by Lena »

Several weeks about this time of year is the breeding season here for snakes, I have been known to carry my uncles Colt with snake shot in 3 chambers quite a few times and will be doing so again, it works very well, I carried it in a cross draw holster. In public it would stay home here at home it was very useful while checking cattle of working on fences.
Stay Safe

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

Lena wrote:Several weeks about this time of year is the breeding season here for snakes, I have been known to carry my uncles Colt with snake shot in 3 chambers quite a few times and will be doing so again, it works very well, I carried it in a cross draw holster. In public it would stay home here at home it was very useful while checking cattle of working on fences.
I used to work armed security at a private ranch in East Texas. In addition to the Glock 17 or Beretta 96 on my hip, I sometimes clipped a Heritage Single Action .22lr loaded with some rat shot in a nylon cross-draw holster to my belt for when I was out checking gates in the woods & near streams where snakes weren't that uncommon.

Topic author
Armybrat

Post by Armybrat »

I understand all the naysayer replies, but single action shooting is the most comfortable for me personally. I wouldn't feel defenseless with the Vaquero's six rounds for SD carry. As for reloads, I like the New York method - a backup 7+1 Kahr CT380 in my case. :tiphat:

Having said that, I do keep a very reliable Ruger SR45 10+1 in the bedside table along with a Winchester Defender 8 round 12 gauge under the bed.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”