Moderator: carlson1

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Joining the CZ Club

Post by Abraham »

What's to recommend them over Glocks?

No, I'm not being argumentative.

I'm in the market for a new pistol.

Currently, I'm looking at the Ruger American Pistol in 9mm. It's a big old honker, but I'm not averse to carrying a big pistol. I have no desire to carry a wee .380...

If CZ is superior, I'm open to buying one.

The thing that has me a bit perplexed is having to have various work done to it,as is so often mentioned, before it's considered ready. Is such work simply gilding the lilly or is it something that makes a thing good into something great?

Could the same kind of customizing be said of the Glock? Yes, as I have had a lot different things done to my G19, lower poundage trigger connector, sights, etc., but frankly it was good out of the box without anything further done to it.

Can the same be said of CZ's or does a lot of custom work NEED to be done, before carrying it?

Thanks!

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Abraham wrote: The thing that has me a bit perplexed is having to have various work done to it,as is so often mentioned, before it's considered ready. Is such work simply gilding the lilly or is it something that makes a thing good into something great?
My understanding is sending a CZ to Cajun Gun Works is akin to sending a Ford Raptor down to Hennessey Performance. What you get back is a high performance machine!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
maverick2076
Posts in topic: 8

Post by maverick2076 »

Pro's to CZ:
1. accurate out of the box
2. Reliable out of the box
3. Good trigger out of the box

The Omega trigger system allows you to switch between having a decocker or a traditional safety.

They are a great pistol out of the box. A custom shop like CGW can put them on par with a finely tuned 1911.

I would have had no issue owning and carrying this P01 direct out of the box. But this is a present for myself. Its replacing my customized 1911 that I sold to a friend, and I'd like to have at least one pistol that has been worked on by a good customizer. Its my "fancy gun".

skeathley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by skeathley »

I have several CZs, including a P07 (polymer) and the classic 75B (all steel), and have never had any of them upgraded. I did replace the sights on one, because I wanted something different, but did that myself.

I own dozens of guns, and have shots dozens of others belonging to my students. The 75B will beat the pants off all of them right out of the box, and the P07 will beat most of them. The only thing that comes close is my Dan Wesson 1911, and that cost close to $2k.

You have to shoot a CZ to appreciate it (like driving a Mercedes). It is professional grade. There's a reason it is the preferred sidearm for European police forces, and African mercenaries. Shoot one for 30 days and you won't go back to Glocks or Springfields.

:thumbs2:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

skeathley,

Given my lack of knowledge regarding CZ's, which would you recommend having posted: "I have several CZs, including a P07 (polymer) and the classic 75B (all steel)"

Thanks!

Topic author
maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

What do you want in a pistol? Polymer, steel, or alloy frame? DA/SA, DAO, SAO, or striker fired? Traditional safety, or decocker? Compact or full sized? What caliber? CZ has a lot of options to cover whatever you may want.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

maverick2076,

Ai yi yi.

If I have do that much research, I'll just stay with my trusty old Glock 19.

Interested in buying a CZ, yes, just not THAT interested...

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:What's to recommend them over Glocks?

Currently, I'm looking at the Ruger American Pistol in 9mm. It's a big old honker, but I'm not averse to carrying a big pistol. I have no desire to carry a wee .380...

The thing that has me a bit perplexed is having to have various work done to it,as is so often mentioned, before it's considered ready. Is such work simply gilding the lilly or is it something that makes a thing good into something great?

Could the same kind of customizing be said of the Glock? Yes, as I have had a lot different things done to my G19, lower poundage trigger connector, sights, etc., but frankly it was good out of the box without anything further done to it.

Can the same be said of CZ's or does a lot of custom work NEED to be done, before carrying it?

Thanks!
Here's what I did.

I had a free gun rental at my range, so I rented a CZ 75B (stock) and shot it alongside my Glock 19. I ordered a CZ 75B later that afternoon.

The two guns cost the same (+/- a few dollars). The CZ is slightly larger than the Glock 19, the CZ 75 is heavier (it's steel, they also make polymer models), and the trigger reset is MUCH longer than the Glock. In exchange, you get less recoil, easier follow up shots, a significant improvement in accuracy, and a better feel / grip angle. BTW, the trigger reset is one of the main "upgrades" that people have done through GJW.

I'd suggest going to a range that has a decent selection, renting a couple CZ models and shooting them alongside your Glock 19.

Topic author
maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Abraham wrote:maverick2076,

Ai yi yi.

OK, lets make it easier. The closest thing CZ makes to a Glock 19 is going to be the new P10C. It is striker fired and polymer framed. It will even fit in most G19 holsters.

If you like the G19 size and a polymer frame, but want a DA/SA pistol, get the P07 with the Omega system, which will let you convert from a traditional safety to a decocker

If you want the G19 size and an alloy frame, get the P01 with the Omega trigger.

If you want G19 size and a steel frame, get the CZ-75 Compact.

If you want full sized, than You'd be looking at the P-09 in polymer or one of several different variations of the CZ-75 in steel frame, depending on the features you want.
Last edited by maverick2076 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 1

Post by canvasbck »

Abraham wrote:What's to recommend them over Glocks?

Thanks!
As a competitive shooter, no one is making anything that I want to compete with out of the box. No manufacturer will put out a product with a 1.8# trigger due to liability issues. Some of the modifications made for competition guns will increase the firearm's performance while hampering reliability, like a lighter hammer spring.

That being said, (IMO) Cz's come out with as close to a competition ready pistol as anyone out there (short of STI/SVI/custom built guns). No amount of work can make a striker fired trigger as crisp and light as traditional hammer and firing pin. You can make striker fired pretty darn nice, but not as nice as you can hammer fired. Also, a steel gun has the extra recoil absorbing weight already in it. Polymer guns will have more felt recoil than their heavy, all steel cousins.

I started out competing with an M&P9 Pro. I shot that gun completely stock for over a year. Then I swapped out triggers, added a match grade barrel, ect. I can still compete fairly well with that gun, but you reach the point that you are chasing tenths of a second and the steel guns with better triggers will give you some of those tenths. (but practice will give you more of those tenths than equipment upgrades)
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Z0Tex

Post by Z0Tex »

maverick2076 wrote:
Abraham wrote:maverick2076,

Ai yi yi.

OK, lets make it easier. The closest thing CZ makes to a Glock 19 is going to be the new P10C. It is striker fired and polymer framed. It will even fit in most G19 holsters.

If you like the G19 size and a polymer frame, but want a DA/SA pistol, get the P07 with the Omega system, which will let you convert from a traditional safety to a decocker

If you want the G19 size and an alloy frame, get the P01 with the Omega trigger.

If you want G19 size and a steel frame, get the CZ-75 Compact.

If you want full sized, than You'd be looking at the P-07 in polymer or one of several different variations of the CZ-75 in steel frame, depending on the features you want.
:iagree: This post exactly, but with one minor correction. A full-sized polymer CZ would be the P-09, not the P-07. Another full-size polymer option would be the SP-01 Phantom, if you can find one.

Topic author
maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Oops! Edited my OP. That's what I get for typing while I was pretending to pay attention to my boss... ;)

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I found a few for sale a few weeks ago, I've always wanted one but sadly I found the trigger reach to be to long for my small fat finger hands.

Topic author
maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

One of CGW's most popular modifications is a reach reduction kit for just that reason.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

maverick2076 wrote:One of CGW's most popular modifications is a reach reduction kit for just that reason.
There cost of the cz + 88 for the trigger and then finding a local smith or mailing it to them to be done. I think that no longer puts it in a price range that is worth it to me.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”