So....Does anyone still shoot .40 ????

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So....Does anyone still shoot .40 ????

Post by SigM4 »

At the risk of rehashing what almost everyone else has said, the 9mm enjoys the added capacity and somewhat softer recoil impulse. Couple that with bullet innovation and it puts the 9mm on a much more level playing field. That said don't think for a second that the .40 S&W round hasn't benefited from those same bullet developments.

Recreational shooters have figured out though that you can save $50 a case when you buy 9mm ammo vs. .40. To most of us here that's not a deal breaker, but for the casual shooter it represents a good chunk of their yearly ammo budget. As a result we've seen a lot of folks dumping the .40s they bought back during the last 5-10 years; which was accelerated even more during the last panic, when late to the game buyers were deciding between remaining in-stock pistols in a flavor of .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or .38 Super. Things are good once again and the panic purchases in a caliber other than 9mm or .45 just don't make logistical sense to some. Thus the flood of reasonably (dare I say it cheap) priced .40s.

As for me, I carry a 9mm daily, however when it comes to HD duty, a P30 in .40 is what sits on the bedside table. Unlike EDC where round count is a consideration, it's pretty easy for me to put a spare mag out to grab is something goes bump in the night to negate this at home. At the same time I like the balance of power and familiarity that this gun has with my EDC (a P30sk in 9mm). Does the .40 provide that much more over a 9mm? Probably not, but bigger is better right?

My other reason for owning a .40 is much the same for owning several 9mms, a couple .45s, and a cheap (price-wise, not quality) Sig Pro in .357 Sig; if/when the next great ammo scare/run happens, I should be able to find something to shoot through one of these. Might not be my first choice, but I like having options.

Hmmm, maybe I should pick up that P220 in .38 Super I saw...
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

patterson
Posts in topic: 2

Post by patterson »

SigM4 wrote:At the risk of rehashing what almost everyone else has said, the 9mm enjoys the added capacity and somewhat softer recoil impulse. Couple that with bullet innovation and it puts the 9mm on a much more level playing field. That said don't think for a second that the .40 S&W round hasn't benefited from those same bullet developments.

Recreational shooters have figured out though that you can save $50 a case when you buy 9mm ammo vs. .40. To most of us here that's not a deal breaker, but for the casual shooter it represents a good chunk of their yearly ammo budget. As a result we've seen a lot of folks dumping the .40s they bought back during the last 5-10 years; which was accelerated even more during the last panic, when late to the game buyers were deciding between remaining in-stock pistols in a flavor of .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or .38 Super. Things are good once again and the panic purchases in a caliber other than 9mm or .45 just don't make logistical sense to some. Thus the flood of reasonably (dare I say it cheap) priced .40s.

As for me, I carry a 9mm daily, however when it comes to HD duty, a P30 in .40 is what sits on the bedside table. Unlike EDC where round count is a consideration, it's pretty easy for me to put a spare mag out to grab is something goes bump in the night to negate this at home. At the same time I like the balance of power and familiarity that this gun has with my EDC (a P30sk in 9mm). Does the .40 provide that much more over a 9mm? Probably not, but bigger is better right?

My other reason for owning a .40 is much the same for owning several 9mms, a couple .45s, and a cheap (price-wise, not quality) Sig Pro in .357 Sig; if/when the next great ammo scare/run happens, I should be able to find something to shoot through one of these. Might not be my first choice, but I like having options.

Hmmm, maybe I should pick up that P220 in .38 Super I saw...
OR a P220 in 10mm

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I decided to go 9mm with my G23 which I hardly ever shot because I don't enjoy shooting .40 but didn't want to lose my investment in it. I just picked up a complete G19 upper and installed the G19 ejector while keeping the .40 upper and ejector. I now have two guns in one.

It's important to change the ejector because the .40 ejector bends inward a bit and on a really bad day could hit the primer of a live 9mm cartridge during ejection with unpleasant results.

The other good option is to install a Lone Wolf conversion barrel which has a slightly off center bore compensate for the .40 ejector.

I elected to go factory all the way for ease of mind regarding reliability. Another advantage of this route is that the slide markings accurately reflect which barrel is in the gun.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

EDC in 40.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

I got rid of all of my .40's several years ago and never looked back. I'm faster, more accurate and can practice more with 9mm, as well as having increased carry capacity.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I shoot and carry my 40, it isn't my EDC due to size and at work I don't really feel like I will need the capacity. I shoot the 40 better than anything I have ever shot. My 45 almost never leaves the safe, don't own a 9, and my 380 is just a pocket gun with the (lack of) accuracy that entails. I like the heavier round of the 40 over a 9 and don't really give up much if any capacity vs most people's carry 9's. 16+1 of 175 grain isn't exactly low capacity. As for recoil, at 30 I dont feel much from the 40, as I get older it might become more of an issue.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

EDC .40 or sometimes .45, HOWEVER, you & anyone else can send me any and all 40 cal related gear and I
will do my best to see that all equipment is treated w the respect due. I do enjoy the round. :lol:
:txflag: :patriot:

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

puma guy wrote:
jmorris wrote:2 9mm, 2 .40s, 1 .45. Shoot & carry them all.
Is that two on each side and one in the back? :lol:
Shoulder holster under each arm for the 40's, right side tac holster for the .45, and a 9mm on each ankle.

(I'm trying the think of the old Burt Reynolds movie where he at one point was equipped something like this but thankfully can not.)
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

jmorris wrote:
puma guy wrote:
jmorris wrote:2 9mm, 2 .40s, 1 .45. Shoot & carry them all.
Is that two on each side and one in the back? :lol:
Shoulder holster under each arm for the 40's, right side tac holster for the .45, and a 9mm on each ankle.

(I'm trying the think of the old Burt Reynolds movie where he at one point was equipped something like this but thankfully can not.)
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

.40 S&W Yuck! :lol:: .380 .357sig 10mm .45acp & 357mag in my arsenal. Recently sold all my 9mm's but still have rounds in the safe for when I snag up another.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

pushpullpete wrote:EDC .40 or sometimes .45, HOWEVER, you & anyone else can send me any and all 40 cal related gear and I
will do my best to see that all equipment is treated w the respect due. I do enjoy the round. :lol:
:txflag: :patriot:
I'll take the leftovers when you get too full of .40 gear.

My EDC is a PPS in .40 and when I'm not carrying it, I have it's P99 big brother in .40. I've had only .40 cal pistols since 1999 so I do not know better.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

aaangel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by aaangel »

Excaliber wrote:It's important to change the ejector because the .40 ejector bends inward a bit and on a really bad day could hit the primer of a live 9mm cartridge during ejection with unpleasant results.
im confused! i have it the other way around. i installed a "curved leg" ejector in my 31 with my DD 40-9 conversion barrel. i thought you needed it to curved a little bit in order to reach the smaller 9mm casing. i've been doing it all wrong????http://www.zombieprepwiki.com/page/Glock+%22Mutt%22
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

aaangel wrote:
Excaliber wrote:It's important to change the ejector because the .40 ejector bends inward a bit and on a really bad day could hit the primer of a live 9mm cartridge during ejection with unpleasant results.
im confused! i have it the other way around. i installed a "curved leg" ejector in my 31 with my DD 40-9 conversion barrel. i thought you needed it to curved a little bit in order to reach the smaller 9mm casing. i've been doing it all wrong????http://www.zombieprepwiki.com/page/Glock+%22Mutt%22
:oops:

I just looked at the two parts again and you're right - I explained it exactly backwards.

Thanks for catching that.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

ssnstump

Post by ssnstump »

My EDC is a PX4 Storm in .40
GREAT gun. I wanted it in .45 when I bought it, but couldn't find one.
So I took the .40.
US Navy Submarine Service 1976-1982

lama

Post by lama »

I am with pushpullpete, send any of that .40 gear you don't want my way. Carry .40 M&P almost everyday. When I have to get REAL dressy I pocket carry a SIG P238.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”