Avenger Arms in Stafford

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Avenger Arms in Stafford

Post by warnmar10 »

TVGuy wrote:
Abraham wrote:Half Price Books or Whole Foods don't sell guns...
Exactly. I thought someone might bring up the "dress code" issue. It doesn't bother me much when a business posts only 30.07, that's their preference, but when it's a gun store they are essentially fighting against our mutual cause.
Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville is an indoor range and they sell guns. Eagle also prohibits open carry. I think that is an asinine policy but I still patronize them.

rob777
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rob777 »

warnmar10 wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
Exactly. I thought someone might bring up the "dress code" issue. It doesn't bother me much when a business posts only 30.07, that's their preference, but when it's a gun store they are essentially fighting against our mutual cause.
Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville is an indoor range and they sell guns. Eagle also prohibits open carry. I think that is an asinine policy but I still patronize them.
I visited a rather upscale gun range/shop on Houston's west side... they have a HUGE 30.07 sign at the entrance.
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 17

Post by TVGuy »

warnmar10 wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
The owner of Eagle Gun Range was vocally against OC when the bill was being debates in 2015. I believe he was interviewed by NBC DFW about it and his stance was recorded. I've never been to his store and really don't have much reason to.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rob777 wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
I visited a rather upscale gun range/shop on Houston's west side... they have a HUGE 30.07 sign at the entrance.
Which one? I work on Houston's west side, and the only "upscale" gun range / shops I can think of are Boyert, Top Gun, and Athena. I know Boyert doesn't have a 30.07 as of yesterday when I stopped by to sight in a scope for my new Tavor. Is it one of the other two?

I see no reason not to warn the other members here before they plan their next range session.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

TVGuy wrote:The owner of Eagle Gun Range was vocally against OC when the bill was being debates in 2015. I believe he was interviewed by NBC DFW about it and his stance was recorded. I've never been to his store and really don't have much reason to.
Cool, that means less wait for me. I have no idea in which part of DFW you reside so the likelihood of you traveling to Eagle may be on par with the chances you'll be shopping Avenger Arms in Stafford but: I recommend Eagle because it is safe, clean, well maintained, has a superior air quality system, most of the staff is knowledgeable, many staff are actually helpful, the price to shoot is more than reasonable and I can easily collect my brass for reloading. While I too find the open carry policy asinine for a gun range the positives far outweigh the negatives. But that's me. #dresscode #privatepropertyrights #agreetodisagree

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Gun shops, like all shops, should welcome open and concealed carry because those people are going to be their nicest, safest customers.

But I can also see some attractive flawed logic for a gun store. Think about how many customers behave in a gun store. The clerk clears the gun (we hope) and hands it to a tire kicker, who then proceeds to point it at self and everyone else in the store. It makes me cringe.

A gun in the counter is in an unknown state, so, technically, we consider it loaded.

Then the counter clerk clears it and we see the chamber is empty. Technically, we consider it loaded. Not much changed by clearing the gun and all four rules still apply.

A carrier has to remember his gun needs to stay holstered, even in an environment when every birdbrain around him is sweeping the crowd with the guns they are looking at.

Fortunately, it's not that much to remember. The gun in your holster is standing watch. Don't create any distractions from that.

A gun store that insists on that etiquette is using a teachable moment to keep everyone safer.

Which makes the valid logic to welcome lawful, safe carry.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jusme »

treadlightly wrote:Gun shops, like all shops, should welcome open and concealed carry because those people are going to be their nicest, safest customers.

But I can also see some attractive flawed logic for a gun store. Think about how many customers behave in a gun store. The clerk clears the gun (we hope) and hands it to a tire kicker, who then proceeds to point it at self and everyone else in the store. It makes me cringe.

A gun in the counter is in an unknown state, so, technically, we consider it loaded.

Then the counter clerk clears it and we see the chamber is empty. Technically, we consider it loaded. Not much changed by clearing the gun and all four rules still apply.

A carrier has to remember his gun needs to stay holstered, even in an environment when every birdbrain around him is sweeping the crowd with the guns they are looking at.

Fortunately, it's not that much to remember. The gun in your holster is standing watch. Don't create any distractions from that.

A gun store that insists on that etiquette is using a teachable moment to keep everyone safer.

Which makes the valid logic to welcome lawful, safe carry.

:iagree:

I know that there are some real issues either with folks who have forgotten the safety rules, or never learned them in the first place. I have OC in all of the guns stores I have been in since 1/1/16, and have had no issues, or seen any signage. But, as you stated, my carry gun is not there to be handled, for anything other than defending against an attack. If I want to have work done on my carry gun, check holster fit, etc., I will unload before entering with it, and have the slide locked back, or a chamber flag inserted with no mag in it.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rob777 wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
Which one? I work on Houston's west side, and the only "upscale" gun range / shops I can think of are Boyert, Top Gun, and Athena. I know Boyert doesn't have a 30.07 as of yesterday when I stopped by to sight in a scope for my new Tavor. Is it one of the other two?

I see no reason not to warn the other members here before they plan their next range session.
It's Athena. They've had that sign up for some time. I'd stopped going there their opening.
  • It's a beautiful location, but it really has a country club appeal to it. Their gun store feels like the atmosphere of an iPhone store, and most of their staff was friendly, but not all were really 'gun people'.
  • Once, when I took my SP2022 out for it's maiden voyage, I had a bit of a problem with it on the range. I asked the guys at the range check-in-desk if they had an armorer or gunsmith who might be able to lend me a hand. Their answer was, “It’ll be $50 just to have him walk out to you.”
  • I started my daughter shooting at age 4. She's been to Spring Guns & Ammo, Top Gun, American Shooting Center, Boyert, and other places out of state. But Athena said she cannot shoot at their range until after she's 11?!?
  • And then they posted their 30.07 signs. I get it when a restaurant, daycare, or whatever wants to keep guns covered, but a gun range?!?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by steveincowtown »

TVGuy wrote: The owner of Eagle Gun Range was vocally against OC when the bill was being debates in 2015. I believe he was interviewed by NBC DFW about it and his stance was recorded. I've never been to his store and really don't have much reason to.
I can't take any gun store owner seriously that is against OC. He can be a holophobe all he wants, but not on my dime.

BTW Defender Outdoors in Fort Worth is extremely friendly towards LTCers, whether OCing or not.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Jusme wrote: :iagree:

I know that there are some real issues either with folks who have forgotten the safety rules, or never learned them in the first place. I have OC in all of the guns stores I have been in since 1/1/16, and have had no issues, or seen any signage. But, as you stated, my carry gun is not there to be handled, for anything other than defending against an attack. If I want to have work done on my carry gun, check holster fit, etc., I will unload before entering with it, and have the slide locked back, or a chamber flag inserted with no mag in it.
On the same page with you. On those occasions where I am in a private environment in a pro-gun crowd, if the subject of who's carrying what comes up I try to answer first, to just sort of seed the discussion. I'll say, "Carrying a 1911 today, of course it shouldn't come out of the leather since it's on the company clock, looking out for us."

The real message being "please don't wave your carry guns around."

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Vol Texan wrote: It's Athena. They've had that sign up for some time. I'd stopped going there their opening.
  • It's a beautiful location, but it really has a country club appeal to it. Their gun store feels like the atmosphere of an iPhone store, and most of their staff was friendly, but not all were really 'gun people'.
  • Once, when I took my SP2022 out for it's maiden voyage, I had a bit of a problem with it on the range. I asked the guys at the range check-in-desk if they had an armorer or gunsmith who might be able to lend me a hand. Their answer was, “It’ll be $50 just to have him walk out to you.”
  • I started my daughter shooting at age 4. She's been to Spring Guns & Ammo, Top Gun, American Shooting Center, Boyert, and other places out of state. But Athena said she cannot shoot at their range until after she's 11?!?
  • And then they posted their 30.07 signs. I get it when a restaurant, daycare, or whatever wants to keep guns covered, but a gun range?!?
I was going to guess it was Athena. I have been there once, as a guest of someone at work, and I wasn't carrying since we went at lunch time in his car. Definitely a nice place, and might be a good choice to bring a girl you are dating who is intimidated by guns. But let's just say that I was not tempted to look into memberships. I agree about the "country club" feel of the place. I guess I am more of a "public course" kind of guy. I go to the range to shoot. As long as they address any safety issues, and have reasonable policies about ammo you can use, etc., I am a happy camper.

Personally, I can't speak highly enough about Boyert. Any serious shooter would be well advised to look at this place. Two locations, in West Houston as well as Katy. Memberships vary, but are as low as $50 a month. If you go to the range 3+ times a month, this is a good deal. And the guy who runs the place used to work at Athena. Supposedly he left due to a difference of opinion on some things. It is still a nice place, but with more of a "shooters" feel than Athena, IMHO. And when I bring my son there, they only ask his age because kids 10 and under shoot free (he's 8).

Frankly, I'm not sure why any serious shooter would choose Athena over Boyert in the Houston area.

rob777

Post by rob777 »

Then there's this one in Spring (they sell "guns and ammo"...) that has this sign.
stop_unload.png
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 17

Post by TVGuy »

warnmar10 wrote:
TVGuy wrote:The owner of Eagle Gun Range was vocally against OC when the bill was being debates in 2015. I believe he was interviewed by NBC DFW about it and his stance was recorded. I've never been to his store and really don't have much reason to.
Cool, that means less wait for me. I have no idea in which part of DFW you reside so the likelihood of you traveling to Eagle may be on par with the chances you'll be shopping Avenger Arms in Stafford but: I recommend Eagle because it is safe, clean, well maintained, has a superior air quality system, most of the staff is knowledgeable, many staff are actually helpful, the price to shoot is more than reasonable and I can easily collect my brass for reloading. While I too find the open carry policy asinine for a gun range the positives far outweigh the negatives. But that's me. #dresscode #privatepropertyrights #agreetodisagree
I spend very little time in closed/indoor, public ranges these days. I'm mostly outdoors with a group of training partners I know well and on a very private range.

Indoor ranges make me cringe, I can't remember a time that I've recently been at a somewhat busy time of day and haven't been swept or seen someone be swept.

I just don't agree with funding a firearms based business that is in the least bit opposed to RKBA. It's easy enough to help keep one in business that agrees with our rights.

Gunner4640
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Gunner4640 »

Abraham wrote:Gunner4640,

They took down the signs, thus no law to be broken...or, am I missing something?

Thanks!
I was just commenting on the post. I've never been there
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

Gunner4640,

OK.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”