The SERPA Stinks, And That’s Just All There Is To Say About It

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

KHickam
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The SERPA Stinks, And That’s Just All There Is To Say About It

Post by KHickam »

I have two Serpa holsters I like them both - I also have a Safariland - which is one that is very good too - I carried a gun in a Serpa for a few years - never had a problem with it (issued with the gun OIF/OEF) and stateside too. Not every day just when I was doing work that required it.

But, I have a couple Kydex and bucket holsters I like too - but the retention on them absolutely sucks. with many types of holsters I run into having problems getting a left handed holster or two (because both I and the little woman are left handed shooters)
"Be strong, be of good courage, God Bless America, Long live the Republic." SootchOO

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Liberty wrote: I think the safety concerns of the SERPA will vary a lot depending on the particular gun being used. A 1911 with its SA trigger seems and grip seem to more naturally guide a shooters trigger finger to the trigger area. The wrist stop area tends to be lower in relation to the trigger area. Also the lack of a manual safety and the relatively short trigger pull of the Glock tend to leave a smaller margin of safety.

This right here.

My gun is [trump voice] YUUUUGE. The biggest. [/trump voice] I have a 747 landing strip for my trigger finger to sit on; it's wide and it's flat, not rounded. I imagine a little Walther with no space or a 1911 with a rounded receiver would not work as well with this holster as mine.

It's just like I told people all the time when I taught shooting - if it works for you, it isn't wrong.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

imkopaka wrote: It's just like I told people all the time when I taught shooting - if it works for you, it isn't wrong.
Many people, if not most, don't have the skill and/or experience to properly evaluate something, and many of them don't know that they don't have that skill and/or experience. "Whether something works for them" or not is important, but knowing how "works" should be defined is important too. The Dunning-Kruger effect is real.

"But it works for me" is how we get people small-of-back open-carrying a Hi-Point in an Uncle Mike's holster, with alternating FMJ and HP ammo.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

CleverNickname wrote:
imkopaka wrote: It's just like I told people all the time when I taught shooting - if it works for you, it isn't wrong.
Many people, if not most, don't have the skill and/or experience to properly evaluate something, and many of them don't know that they don't have that skill and/or experience. "Whether something works for them" or not is important, but knowing how "works" should be defined is important too. The Dunning-Kruger effect is real.

"But it works for me" is how we get people small-of-back open-carrying a Hi-Point in an Uncle Mike's holster, with alternating FMJ and HP ammo.
I've noted before that every decision we make of how and what we carry is the result of many engineering trade-offs Some of the factors of these trade-offs consist of costs, comfort, safety, and effectiveness. No one rig and set up is best for everyone, not even for most people.

There is a lot of great advice from a lot of very knowledgeable here, but a lot of it conflicting and very little of the consensus is absolute. It turns out that ultimately we must each make our own decisions for what is best for each and every one of us. Otherwise, we would all own Glocks or 1911s as our EDC.

I have a SHERPA, I have looked at it and considered what some folks who are more experienced and knowledgeable than I. I am a little wiser than I was and will look at my holster a little suspiciously than I did before. This thread has been informative. I still won't get rid of it and I will probably still use it once in a while maybe as much as I did previously. I also occasionally carry my 92 in an Uncle Mike's at the small of my back. I do so only under certain conditions for specific reasons. It works for me.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”