Safariland ALS

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ninjabread
Posts in topic: 3

Safariland ALS

Post by ninjabread »

Safariland ALS was suggested in the SERPA discussion.

What's the best option in the ALS line for a mix of concealed and open carry? Between the 6377, 6378, 7377, 7378, it's tough to figure out from the stock photos if they're realy concealable under a light jacket or aloha shirt.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Safariland ALS

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm watching this thread with interest, as I currently have several guns in need of holsters.

I actually looked at the GLS line this morning and was intrigued by one holster that supposedly fits over 250 different guns. Then I looked specifically and figured out that for 4 of my guns, I would need 4 different models of that holster :banghead:

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

Given the choice, go for the 7k series over the 6k. That's what HPD is suggesting. Better construction.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I am ditching all of my 6xxx holsters for 7xxx holsters.

The 7ts Series, like the 7377, 7378, 7360 and 7390 are without a doubt the best retention holster made.

These are not really concealment holsters, but then again, neither is the Serpa. For concealed carry, get some open top kydex rig from Bravo Tactical or DSG Arms (both good Texas companies). You could conceal with a 7377 or 7378, but you will be printing unless you are wearing a ski jacket or something. May as well OC at that point.

The 7377 is a "minimalist" belt holster, the 7378 is the same thing with a paddle attachment. The 7360 is a full duty type level 3 with all of the hoods and guards to keep anyone else from getting your pistol before you do. The 7390 is a duty type of the 7377 with a big guard around the front to keep other's hands off the ALS tab, and it has a bit of a drop to the attachment belt loop.

It is not possible for me to not recommend the GLS system highly enough. First, the middle finger paddle that you have to hit screws with a proper grip. Its design makes it impossible for it not to. Second, it is VERY intuitive, you basically cannot grip the handgun without hitting the GLS paddle and properly unlocking it, giving you instant access to your handgun. Oh, by the way, it does the exact same thing for Johnny Felon who grabs your gun from your holster. It is very easy for him to get access to your "retained" handgun too. In my view, the GLS is for hiking, biking, running a tractor or 4-wheeler... things where a jolt might make the gun "fall out" of a holster. Based in its design, and the aforementioned flaw, I cannot dissuade you enough from using it as an around town "retention" holster.

The only thing that I trust for OCing around town is the ALS/SLS Level 3 like the 7360.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've had the 7378 for almost a year now and think it is a great holster. I do have the belt slide attachment setup instead of the paddle because the cant with the addle was too much for my liking and not adjustable enough to negate the cant. I prefer a more straight up angle and this can be acheived with the belt slide setup on this holster.

I used a Serpa CQC on Glock .40's and .45's for many years without any issues, but always wanted something better. Safariland does not make a 7TS, or one that I like, model for the Glock 30 or 30SF, so the only one I have at this time is for the 21SF. I like this holster so much that I now carry the full size 21SF with a TLR-1 light attacked 99.999% of the time versus the 30SF in the Serpa CQC holster I still have. It is just that much better. As soon as they have one for the 30/30SF I'll get one and go back to carrying the baby. Probably?! :headscratch
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

AJSully421 wrote:In my view, the GLS is for hiking, biking, running a tractor or 4-wheeler... things where a jolt might make the gun "fall out" of a holster. Based in its design, and the aforementioned flaw, I cannot dissuade you enough from using it as an around town "retention" holster.

The only thing that I trust for OCing around town is the ALS/SLS Level 3 like the 7360.
Where is the sweet spot for a 7378? If it's not secure enough for OCing around town and the GLS is cheaper and sufficient for outdoor activities. Serious question. I'm leaning toward the 7378 but if it's not going to do the job, and I end up buying a more expensive ALS/SLS holster, I might as well skip a step and go straight to the Level 3. :mrgreen:

I have IWB concealment holsters and I'm looking for an OWB holster that conceals reasonable well and is also secure enough for OC sometimes. Is this a situation where a 2-in-1 holster won't be good at either job?

Thanks for the replies so far.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ninjabread wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:In my view, the GLS is for hiking, biking, running a tractor or 4-wheeler... things where a jolt might make the gun "fall out" of a holster. Based in its design, and the aforementioned flaw, I cannot dissuade you enough from using it as an around town "retention" holster.

Where is the sweet spot for a 7378? If it's not secure enough for OCing around town and the GLS is cheaper and sufficient for outdoor activities. Serious question. I'm leaning toward the 7378 but if it's not going to do the job, and I end up buying a more expensive ALS/SLS holster, I might as well skip a step and go straight to the Level 3. :mrgreen:

I have IWB concealment holsters and I'm looking for an OWB holster that conceals reasonable well and is also secure enough for OC sometimes. Is this a situation where a 2-in-1 holster won't be good at either job?

Thanks for the replies so far.
I'm not really sure why AJSully421 thinks the 7378 is not suitably secure enough to OC with. Maybe it's not as secure as a "duty" holster, but why would any of the rest of us need that? Mine's not coming out unless that lever is activated.

Ninjabread, your location isn't posted. If you were close enough I'd let you see mine to make your own decision. I'm a little north of Dallas about 10-15 miles.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

It is just my own personal opinion and bias. My best friend is a cop, and had an attempted take-away once, and in a way, I guess I have "learned from his mistake". When OC passed he severely impressed upon me the importance of a good retention holster (and he carries a SLS/ALS combo), so I am pretty amped up about that being the only way that I choose to OC. You are under no such obligation and do not have to meet my admittedly high standards.

If you are keeping your head on a swivel, OCing with a 7377 or 7378 would be no problem. In one way, the ALS only holster is superior. If a bad guy intent on trying a gun grab takes a look at that SLS loop going over the back of the pistol, when he approaches, he is mentally prepared to defeat some sort of retention device. Chances are he will screw it up and not get SLS swung all the way forward, then properly hit the ALS tab before I can put my elbow in his eye. However, to an outside observer, an ALS only holster will have no such visible retention, and they might think that they can just walk up and grab it, pull up and get your gun away from you (Again, this would be absolutely true with a GLS holster). But unless he simultaneously pulls back on the ALS tab, the pistol stays put. One thing to think about.

Same offer applies for me, I am in SW Fort Worth, if anyone locally wants to try a 7377 or 7378 for a Glock 17/22 or 19/23 for a week or so, I have one of each that anyone can borrow.

ETA: I also have what Safariland has just released and is calling a 7376, which is the 7377 but with the ultra high ride 565BL belt attachment, I have made a few of these from my 7377s, so if you want to take one of these for a spin, let me know.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Crash

Post by Crash »

I have the 6377/6378 and if you get one all I can suggest is practice, practice, practice. Yes, they secure the gun really well, but if you don't practice a LOT, in a crisis situation you may have a hard time drawing it. I suggest running your thumb alongside the holster about even with the back of the slide, then when your thumb slides across the back of the slide, it will be in the correct position to release the weapon. At first, practice slowly and smoothly. Speed will come with practice. Remember the old dictum, "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." Again, practice, practice, practice.

Crash :txflag:

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Thanks to AJ Sully I am convert from the Serpa to the Safariland 7378 for my Glock 19. Gotta admit I really like it too. :thumbs2:
I have always liked my Serpa's but have been aware of the safety concerns for quite some time and have deliberately and frequently practiced pulling my trigger finger up. But I have to say that I think the Safariland is a better holster and I think it has a faster natural draw speed.
Ron
NRA Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have a Safariland 6378 ALS paddle holster, and I would say:
  1. Concealable under a light jacket: yes;
  2. concealable under a Hawaiian shirt: probably not.
It is a great holster. It carries comfortably and the locking mechanism is secure, without really affecting the draw stroke. But whether or not it would conceal under a shirt would depend on what size gun you were carrying. Mine fits a Glock 17/19, but not a 26. It won't really conceal a 17; but it will conceal a 19 under a light jacket. It is a fantastic holster for open carry.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

loktite

Post by loktite »

Does anyone here have experience with the 6378 and either the 6006 ALS guard or the 6008 ALS/Hood guard combo? I ordered the 6008 to go with my new 6378 (upgrading from my 578GLS), but unfortunately it was a Left hand (6008-22) inside the package instead of a RH (6008-21).
Now, since I have to return/exchange it, I'm debating whether just to get the 6006, or to stick with the 6008. I think my best option is stick with the 6008 and see if I find the hood guard too obtrusive.
NRA Endowment Member

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

The level 3 retention holster w/ the hood guard is a duty carry setup. For personal carry, that's a lot of holster. But if you like it - go for it.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Thanks everybody. I have a 7378 on the way. I don't anticipate carrying open in crowds or urban centers. If I'm semi-concealed with an unbuttoned aloha shirt, people may know I'm carrying but a blind snatch wouldn't anticipate the ALS retention, so I'm optimistic about putting this through its paces.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”