Safariland ALS

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

MrMcCullster
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Safariland ALS

Post by MrMcCullster »

I have a 6378 with the ALS button lock/guard and it's the first and only OC holster I own. I wanted to have some sort of preventative measure from my firearm being taken from me, so I went with this. The button guard seems to be the sweet spot for me in preventative measures. The hood I feel is more of a duty weapon attachment for LEOs.

I also don't OC all that much, and really only do it in the colder months, but I liked the additional safety of having the Safariland holster and the button guard. I've only been able to live fire train with it once, but need to get back out to a range that has private shooting lanes or allows drawing from a holster. I won't wear it until I'm comfortable with the action of disengaging the button, and pulling the firearm in a smooth steady motion and get shots on target.

I definitely say train, train, and train some more. That ALS button guard is very stiff when you first install it, and makes it very difficult to get the thing off the first 100 times you use it. I've tried WD-40, and just sitting there playing with the thing, engaging it, disengaging it. Even prying it up and away from the button to the left, to loosen the swivel that it's on. Eventually it gets better to use, and the motion of flipping your thumb up, and then raking it down to the ALS button become natural. It's very similar to the red hood fighter pilots have to disengage in the cockpit in order to flip the fire switch. Flip up hood, then flip switch up or down depending on how it's oriented.

Thinking about it, it is kind of counterintuitive, seeing as most IWB holsters don't have anything preventing others from reaching in and grabbing your gun. But to that I say people aren't supposed to know you have it or see it. OC is different.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

loktite wrote:Does anyone here have experience with the 6378 and either the 6006 ALS guard or the 6008 ALS/Hood guard combo? I ordered the 6008 to go with my new 6378 (upgrading from my 578GLS), but unfortunately it was a Left hand (6008-22) inside the package instead of a RH (6008-21).
Now, since I have to return/exchange it, I'm debating whether just to get the 6006, or to stick with the 6008. I think my best option is stick with the 6008 and see if I find the hood guard too obtrusive.
I have the 7378 for my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5 inch. I use the 6006 ALS Guard and the Quick Kit 2 QLS.
http://www.safariland.com/all-products/ ... 39913.html
http://www.safariland.com/products/hols ... ml#start=1

I spent a day at KR Training in which the second half was drawing from the holster. I was using a loaner Safariland ALS holster from KR Training that fit my pistol. The Safariland was in the top 3 of my potential holsters to purchase, so I was very glad to be able to put on through 250 rounds and countless draw strokes.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Safariland 7TS 7378-819-411. This holster is for the S&W M&P 9L without thumb safety, but works perfectly for the Mod 2.0 5 inch even with thumb safety. Pistol does not rattle, holster covers the barrel, pistol does not twist in the holster, release is clean, retention is strong.

Model 1169287 | SKU 1169287 | Part 7378-819-411

http://www.safariland.com/all-products/ ... 69287.html
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

loktite

Post by loktite »

I have the correct 6008 now, have been practicing draws today. For me, my main reason for the hood guard is to keep the ALS guard free of clothing in certain situations, such as late night fuel ups. With the GLS, I could tuck a light jacket/cover garment between gun and body and still operate the GLS without issue. Not so much with the ALS system. Having the hood guard allows for that clear path. The hood guard doesn't seem too obtrusive currently; can feel it while turning to look over shoulder while driving gator, but its flexible enough to push/bend it slightly once and then is comfortable while turned. I like it so far, but it hasn't been a full day yet :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”