High vs. Low ride holster

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

High vs. Low ride holster

Post by C-dub »

I keep perusing the Safariland website to see if they've added a 7TS holster yet for my Glock 30SF, but nothing yet.

That always leads me to consider a different setup for what I'm currently using. I've mentioned in other threads that I have a 7378 for a 21SF with a TLR-1 light attached. However, I think I realize that, since I took the addle off and use the belt slide attachment, I actually have a 7377. Anyway, I'm debating going to something that places the gun about an inch or so lower. I'm not a huge fan of the high ride because it complicates the draw and is less smooth/natural IMO. At least for me.

Obviously, too low is also problematic. None of that old western movie stuff with the gun around mid thigh, but I am considering something that places the grip right around the pocket opening level on my jeans. I've been wearing cover shirts for so long that they are my normal wardrobe now and no one questions them. I've even gotten them a longer in the past couple of years before OC became legal to increase my comfort level that the shirt would ride up over the grip and get caught exposing the gun. Unintentionally, I know, but still.

I'd rather not go to anything that has a leg strap, but I'm not adamantly opposed to it and there are a few that have a single strap that might be doable. It just depends on how low that would really be. I would still conceal it most/all of the time, but like many of us that still choose to CC, I wouldn't worry as much about exposure. There are a few different options offered by Safariland that might accommodate what I'm considering in adapters and such that I could probably use my existing holster with to avoid buying a completely new entire holster. However, that is also not out of the question due to the discussion over in that Safariland ALS thread.

However, my question to ya'll and what is up for debate is what is ya'lls preference when it comes to a high vs. low ride holster and why? Pros vs. cons?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Re: High vs. Low ride holster

Post by C-dub »

Angle also gives me more problems. I, too, like a straight up draw better.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Post by allisji »

I would imagine that comfort while sitting would be an issue with a holster as low as what you are talking about. But I really don't know since I've never worn anything like that.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

This is going to be a matter of preference, since holster makers, as well as pants makers, have differing standards for hi waist ,low waist, etc., high rise, and low rise holsters also have no standard of measurement (at least none that I am aware of)
The top of the pocket on pants is not a standard measurement on all pants. I have some where the top of the pocket hits the waistband, and others about 2" lower. The same is true with various holster brands. If you are only talking about one brand of holster, then they may have a standard, so I would think that if you are familiar with Safariland holsters, then they should be pretty standard as to the rise height.

I am more comfortable with a high and tight, canted holster, but I have done a lot of practice drawing with it. The difference for me comes with whichever pants I am wearing. The height difference, can be as much as 2" or more, so I have tried to practice with each type of pants that I wear. My dress pants sit lower than my Wrangler jeans, as do my Carhartt carpenter pants.

I don't like my gun to sit too low, because it is not comfortable when seated. But that is just my personal preference. I have not seen very many "low rise" holsters, that are so much lower than "high rise" holsters, that they would require a leg strap. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The "when seated" part is my main concern with lowering the ride height. I've already begun carrying in a shoulder rig if I'll be taking a long drive or short trips where I don't plan on exiting the vehicle.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Me again.

The only option that is lower than the mount on a 7377 are going to be the 6070 duty type belt mounts. You can look at a 7390, which is an ALS only duty type holster. If you were to order it, you could install it on yours, you would just be missing the cover hood.

Comfort while seated will depend on what gun you have, your build, and the type of seat, specifically the side bolstering of your vehicle seat.

On my duty type OC holsters, the ones for a G21 with a mounted light are too long, and not comfortable at all in my truck. My 7390 for my 17/22 without a light is ok.

On my ranch 7390, I have drilled holes in a 6070 belt mount to raise the holster body about 1/2" to make it more comfortable. The only downside is that when you do that, you turn the "3 screws in a Y pattern" into 2 screws, one above the other. But that is only for the ranch, I'm not worried about a hog or wounded deer going for my gun.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

SRO1911 wrote:Higher = easier to maintain concealment.
Lower = better draw.
Anything in between is a compromise, like so many other chl issues.
I prefer a mid height for casual concealment. Owb with a shirt that just covers and a forward cant - for purely open carry I go with a lower holster an little to no cant. Angle seems to have more impact than height for me, but I'm 6'1" with a 6'5" wingspan...
This is true.

Something else to keep in mind:

Higher is also easier to defend against a gun grab attempt.

Lower is more difficult.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”