Sleepwalking and firearm access

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
couzin
Posts in topic: 1

Sleepwalking and firearm access

Post by couzin »

A couple years ago I started acting out in my sleep, fighting, rolled out of bed trying to escape a few times, and have stood up and moved a few steps before my wife was able to wake me. Now have a diagnosis of REM sleep behavior disorder. Got me a bed rail, moved stuff out of the way, and made all firearms/weapons only accessible through multiple access points. Anybody else have this? What have you done about weapon access? I am considering some sort of electronic lock that would allow quicker access (if really awake). Any suggestions?
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

parabelum

Re: Sleepwalking and firearm access

Post by parabelum »

Wish I had good advice but that's above my pay grade. Only thing I can think of is to be very careful even with multiple access points.
You'll likely remember how to quickly gain access through muscle memory. I'm not certain that your muscle memory is "asleep" as you sleepwalk. After all, you are walking.

Whatever you do, you'll likely have to make gaining access to your firearms very unorthodox and difficult, for you. And likely change the pattern once you catch yourself instinctively gaining access, without thought. :headscratch

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

:iagree: If it was me I would make access completely impossible unless my wife handed the firearm to me. Our youngest son when he was younger slept walked. We had to screw down windows, add extra high locks, and bells to the doors. I had a friend who's teenager slept walked, left the house in their car and drove to her grandmothers. I don't know much about sleep walking, but it is a scary thought.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Couzin - I had never heard of this particular disorder.
I can add nothing to the previous suggestions, but I hope you can get some treatment to improve your condition. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Alf

Post by Alf »

If it's not your carry gun, and it's in a lock box on your wife's side of the bed, you shouldn't have any habits ingrained regarding that gun.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”