Can you carry in a county tax office

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Can you carry in a county tax office

Post by cmgee67 »

I never have because I didn't know. I figured it fell under buildings the same as court house sheriffs office ect.

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can you carry in a county tax office

Post by allisji »

cmgee67 wrote:I never have because I didn't know. I figured it fell under buildings the same as court house sheriffs office ect.
I don't think that there's any reason why you shouldn't be able to as long as the county tax office is not a courthouse. I believe that my local tax office also houses the courthouse. I don't know if they allow handgun carry in the tax office or not because I never step foot in the place. I would probably carry concealed unless there was signage, and if there is a metal detector I'd probably either notify the security of my licensed carry status, or go back to the car and disarm.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

Mine is in a totally separate building from the courthouse and there are zero signs so that's why I was wondering

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

cmgee67 wrote:Mine is in a totally separate building from the courthouse and there are zero signs so that's why I was wondering
Yes. You can legally, regardless of whether they post a sign or not. Unless it is at a meeting of the appraisal board subject to open meetings notice AND posted.

If they have security and metal detectors, you will have to decide how much you're willing to do to carry past if they try to block you.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Mine is in a totally separate building from the courthouse and there are zero signs so that's why I was wondering
Yes. You can legally, regardless of whether they post a sign or not. Unless it is at a meeting of the appraisal board subject to open meetings notice AND posted.

If they have security and metal detectors, you will have to decide how much you're willing to do to carry past if they try to block you.
:iagree:

Since there are no signs, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Even if there were signs, you could decide to do some additional research, as those signs would probably be illegal and also unenforceable, other than the limited exceptions noted by Scott.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”