Why do you choose OWB or IWB or Shoulder?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why do you choose OWB or IWB or Shoulder?

Post by troglodyte »

IWB because that's what I started with when it was just CHL. Easier to conceal. I haven't graduated to OWB because I'm cheap and haven't found the need to spend the money yet...yet.

Kangaroo carry or SPEC Gear bellyband/shoulder holster. KC was getting old so I tried the Spec Gear. I like the dual straps but it is a heavier system. It does allow you to carry a lot if you so choose. I had mine made so it is cross-draw and the gun is held straight up and down. A negative cant might be even a little better. I went with these to conceal under my Ariat shirts I wear to work during the summer. During the winter I wear a vest so it covers the IWB (or OWB when I get one).

I also wear 5.11 holster shirts in the winter but with the diminished concern of exposure (work is no intentional open carry) I have transitioned to the belt holster. The 5.11 is nice though if I'm dressed with out the vest.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

IWB, my two primary reasons:
1. Do not to draw attention or make myself a target.
2. I want the element of surprise, if possible.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

OWB for comfort, ymmv?

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Depends on where I am and what I'm doing, 50/50 iwb/owb.

Sure is nice not to worry about printing :cheers2:

I remember all the freaouts if I'm printing...and that was with Glock 26 iwb :shock:

These days, it's nice to strap a 30+ ounce chunk of a gun if I so desire and carry owb or iwb, not worrying about it.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

IWB in a Crossbreed. Never feel it at all and carry at about 3:30. I have to CC at work, and IWB works better for me to deep conceal. On weekends I some times OC in an OWB.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

IWB for concealed carry was he most effective for me prior to 1/1/16. Now I carry OWB, openly, and either untuck my shirt or don a jacket to conceal.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Mostly OWB because of the comfort and holster availability and flexibility. I've probably had and used 5-6 various OWB holsters. I carried with Blackhawk CQC Serpas with Glock .40's and .45's for many years before getting a Safariland 7378-7377 about a year ago. I still have the CQC for the Glock 30SF because there isn't a 7TS holster for it yet, but hardly ever carry it. I almost exclusively carry the 21SF with a TLR-1 because the 7377 is that much better.

I also tried some sort of shoulder holster thing when I had the .40's, but it was a bit bulky and I never could find even a quasi comfortable angle or get it adjusted well at all.

I had an IWB holster for the Glock 27 and it was okay. I mostly only wore that in church and when wearing slacks, which wasn't that often.

I do have a shoulder holster for my Colt GC and primarily only wear it when I'm going to be doing a lot of driving because it is easier to get to than the G21SF OWB in that position. It is also, so far, the only holster I've seen that I like for that gun. A Miami Classic with a double mag carrier on the opposite side. I'm sure there might be a more comfortable shoulder rig, but this isn't that bad. I've had it for about 4-6 months or so and think I have just about got it adjusted to where I like it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”