Work VS Free time

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Work VS Free time

Post by cmgee67 »

Do any of y'all have a specific gun for work and then another for your free time?

For me it's my 45 shield for work and I also carry it in my free time. My Glock 19 is on bedside duty now since the purchase of the shield but sometimes I still carry it when I feel I need 45 rounds on me. I just just fell in love with the slimness and size of the shield. I still love my Glock but S&W got it right with ergos on the M&P's and especially the new grip texture. I am thinking I need a full size M&P for open carry. That's a good reason right? Maybe I can convince my wife of that!

Nuts
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Work VS Free time

Post by Nuts »

My work gun is a performance center shield 9mm. I have that on me most of the time around the house too. When I go out on my own time I normally carry a XD sc9. I think I will more likely need the larger capacity when me and my wife are out together in the evening. I feel more comfortable with the higher capacity and I just shoot it better.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

My work gun is an XD45 full size. My off time carry is any one of my 1911's or a Sig 938. On occasion, I may carry one of my wheel guns but that is not very often.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I studiously avoid work, so I just carry whatever feels like it would be the right choice on any given day.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I studiously avoid work, so I just carry whatever feels like it would be the right choice on any given day.

Oh sure rub it in!!!

Back on topic...

H&K P30 SK 9mm for most days. Springfield XD(m) .45 everytime else.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

My work carry is "none" unless I am not in my office. My carry while driving, at lunch, and most every else varies by the season, but right now it is a 1911 Commander model. My bedside gun is a Sig P226, and I usually also keep a revolver in the car.

If you are looking for a reason to buy a new gun, then by all means you need to have a different gun for each of the following possible situations:

"Heavy" clothing carry
"Medium" clothing carry
"Light" clothing carry
Open carry
Car gun
Bedside gun
Competition guns for every possible division
Hunting

I'm sure you can think of some others.....

PitBoss

Post by PitBoss »

I carry my Sig P320 ... it's what I train with, carry regularly and what I'm most comfortable with...

karder

Post by karder »

Most days my work gun is a Shield 9mm in a bravo concealment holster and one spare magazine in a taco pouch from High Speed Gear
When I am not working I usually carry a FiveSeveN in a Comp-tac gladiator.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Can't carry while at work, so my Glock 30sf gets so lonely sitting in my personal vehicle during the day. It's so happy to see me at 3:30, like a puppy when you get home. :mrgreen:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I carry one pistol because I want to optimize my ability to use my chosen self-defense tool.

Texas is an "at will" employment state. At work, my pistol stays out of sight but my three extra magazines and the Safariland QLS mount for my holster stay visible on my belt. Outside of work I reattach my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm with 5 inch barrel to my belt. My holster is a black Safariland 7TS 7378 ALS with Guard.

I have two pistols, my wife has one. I bought my first pistol from a relative. I know it would be my training pistol. I carried it for almost 4 years. During that time, I was improving my skills and researching my next pistol. My Smith fits my needs. I carry openly unless the situation dictates otherwise. i.e. inside the sanctuary at church or past 30.07.

If I had another pistol that met my needs as well as my Smith, I imagine that I might carry different pistols, but not because of "work" or "off", and only if doing so did not degrade my ability to use my chosen self-defense tool.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Ojames3

Can you send me the links to your rigs? I'm in need of something like that for my 45 shield

apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

I stick with my 9mm Shield (fairly customized) during the work-week. On occasion I'll open carry my M&P FS 9mm, but only when I'm doing something outdoors in a semi-private place (out on family land, etc.). I prefer not to draw attention to the fact that I'm carrying around John Q. Public, and exercise my right to keep it private. Open carry slightly more comfortable, but concealing is worth the price of the "none of your business" factor.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

strogg

Post by strogg »

I carry a Benchmade at the work office, thanks to 30.06 / 30.07 signs and a "no firearms" policy in the employee handbook. Outside that, it's an FNS-9c with gold dot ammo around town and a Five-seveN with SS198LF when I need to go deep into a city or whenever I feel like it. It's nice to mix things up sometimes, though my XD45 Tactical is starting to feel lonely...

If for whatever reason I'll be open carrying (can't find a single reason yet), it will be my double stack 1911 with Hornady Critical Duty because gold dot won't cycle through the 1911.

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

oljames3 wrote:Texas is an "at will" employment state. At work, my pistol stays out of sight but my three extra magazines and the Safariland QLS mount for my holster stay visible on my belt.
That's unusual for a company to be fine with visible magazines but not a firearm.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”