Is cerakote a good waterproof coating?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67

Is cerakote a good waterproof coating?

Postby cmgee67 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:30 pm

I've got a couple of my waterfowl shotguns that need to be re-done. One was dipped and worn off and the other the blueing has worn off completely. After many hard years they need some love and revamping. Would cerakote work well for a good protection for water?
I Am Freedoms Safest Place :txflag:

Jusme

Re: Is cerakote a good waterproof coating?

Postby Jusme » Wed May 03, 2017 7:39 pm

It's just my opinion, but water is only a problem if it is not completely removed before storage. Cerakote, or any other finish, only protects the outside of the gun. The inside of the barrel, internal components, etc. , will not be protected.
While some scream and scoff, WD 40 is designed to remove water. (WD stands for water displacement)
If it is completely removed by using high pressure compressed air, it will protect the internal components from rust due to excess moisture.
Then a coating of oil, along with a desiccant inside the storage compartment will prevent rust. There have been several hundred years of technology to prevent rust, or degradation in metal, caused by moisture, but there are also a lot of old firearms still capable of being used, after many years of exposure to water. There is no "magic" treatment that has ever proven to be totally impervious to the effects of water.
JMHO.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
cmgee67

Postby cmgee67 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:46 pm

I don't plan on coating the inside just the outside. I wipe the inside and run a cloth through it after every hunt but I go on weekend hunts where I'm gone two or three days at a time and sometimes the guns get left in the case and the inside stays fine but the ousted can be damp get get rust spots. Those trips I don't have time to do a full wipe down and cleaning I can just get the internals really quick to ensure reliability. My old dipped 870 never had an issue or ever rusted nor did the inside but now that it's worn off it likes to get speckled. I want a good hard finish to protect them. I wouldn't do any color other than black so they will just look new again. The other gun I'm talkin about is my benelli super black eagle 1st gen made by H&K and the blueing is pretty well gone. Best waterfowl shotgun ever made in my opinion.
I Am Freedoms Safest Place :txflag:

Jusme

Postby Jusme » Wed May 03, 2017 8:01 pm

cmgee67 wrote:I don't plan on coating the inside just the outside. I wipe the inside and run a cloth through it after every hunt but I go on weekend hunts where I'm gone two or three days at a time and sometimes the guns get left in the case and the inside stays fine but the ousted can be damp get get rust spots. Those trips I don't have time to do a full wipe down and cleaning I can just get the internals really quick to ensure reliability. My old dipped 870 never had an issue or ever rusted nor did the inside but now that it's worn off it likes to get speckled. I want a good hard finish to protect them. I wouldn't do any color other than black so they will just look new again. The other gun I'm talkin about is my benelli super black eagle 1st gen made by H&K and the blueing is pretty well gone. Best waterfowl shotgun ever made in my opinion.

OK, I'm just more anal than most, I guess, even on overnight/weekend hunts, I fully strip, and clean my guns at the end of the day. (a lot of tailgate cleaning) So I haven't had to worry about it. I have hunted in downpours, and used WD 40 to get rid of excess water, done a complete wipe down, and cleaning, as soon as I can get to a dry spot. I have even wrapped my barrel in oil soaked rags inside my truck to prevent it from forming rust.

At my defensive shotgun class, it rained the whole time. As soon as it was over, I disassembled my shotgun, sprayed it with WD 40, and thoroughly cleaned it as soon as I got home. But that's just me.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”